The Bride of Frankenstein Reviews

March 31, 2015
A fantastic sequel! I was impressed by the voiceover narration and the scenes from the original being included. Really good way to start out a sequel. It had a strong story! Although I do find the title to be a little misleading, but that doesn't really matter, I guess. One thing that I, and every other horror film viewer, know is that horror movies are notorious for having characters who, in their terrorized state, make the worst decisions possible- and this film is no exception. There were so many characters who were constantly making stupid mistakes and causing unnecessary harm to others/themselves. And they never learn." New information? Bad outcome? Who cares! Let's do the same thing over again!" That was a little frustrating, but what can ya do? *shrugging emoji*

Fascinating characters, new and old. Great character development with the monster. Amazing effects!! AMAZING, can't believe what they managed to do in 1935. Really impressed by their creativity and innovation in story-telling techniques. Great angles, a wide variety, including some very Beautiful, elaborate sets, and impressive props. A great score complementing the film, wow.

Super creepy, thrilling, and very entertaining. Gotta suspend your disbelief many times regarding the mortality of the characters. I'm sure it was just due to a more modest audience's standards, but to a viewer in 2015, the violence is silly. Any deliberate killing was done with minimal effort and in a way that obviously wouldn't actually kill anyone, but when serious injuries occur they heal rapidly, miraculously.

Definitely a good watch. I recommend it. Don't know if I'll ever watch it again and or own it, but it's a fun one!

8/10

Bye love you
July 7, 2012
James Whale, Boris Karloff & Colin Clive Re-unite In Bride Of Frankenstein. Although It Ruins The Ending Of The First Film, This Sequel Again Shows That Frankenstein's Monster Is Not Actually A Terrible Being. But Like A Misunderstood Child, Rejected By The Public Just Because He Looks Different. The Childish Side To Karloff's Character Can Be Seen Especially In The Scene With The Blind Hermit. There Is A Long Suspenseful Build-Up To The Revealing Of The Monster's Bride, Only To Be Blown Up Shortly After. But Once Again James Whale Does A Fantastic Job At Directing, Just As Karloff's Performance Is Top Notch. This is one of those rare instances where the sequel is said to be superior than it's original & in many ways it is.
January 29, 2015
The peak of the Universal Horror films. A wonderful mix of horror and comedy. I must say ... I cannot stand Una O'Connor and her shrieking, over the top performance is too much for me. That said, she's not in enough of this film to ruin it for me. I'm also not a fan of the really silly, unnecessary prologue. But Karloff surpasses his performance in the original and creates a complex, moving character. Colin Clive, who was a bit of a weak point in "Frankenstein", is much better here. Ernest Thesiger is simply incredible. A masterpiece.
October 15, 2014
One of the strangest Hollywood films I've come across-- tonally schizophrenic, utterly inventive, funny, frightening, heart wrenching... What more could you want?

James Whale takes so many chances from start to finish, never playing it safe, yanking us from the deceptively-simple moral fable of the first film into the the wild woods beyond. What happens when the fairy tale is over, when the supposed "happily ever after" sets in? Whale's last minute "happy" ending to the first film (changed at the behest of the studio based on poor audience response) was subtle in its dark irony, and in "Bride" he makes those intentions clearer through deeper thematic exploration. Karloff as the (literal) Son of Man is amazing, and Colin Clive is even more wonderfully desperate and haunted than the first go. Ernest Thesiger's Dr. Pretorius is an all-timer in the history of film villains, and Elsa Lanchester's remarkable five-minute-performane as The Bride is incredible for its terrifying specificity and craft.

One of the greats.
½ October 19, 2011
Not the best Universal Monster film. Karloff returns and still impresses as The Monster. In this sequel, he is softened a bit. The Monster is more likable, and he talks here uttering a few classic lines like "We belong dead". Colin Clive also returns as Henry Frankenstein, and gets a significantly reduced amount of screen time. This sequel makes obvious some of the themes in Frankenstein, and I'd count that as a bit of a weak point. Other weak points include a distinct attempt at comedy, but these parts come on way too strong, is over the top, and when are present almost drown out every other aspect of the film (the worst sinner when it comes to this is Una O'Connor who is just over-the-top and grating). One of the more curious aspects of this film is that, for some strange reason, Lovecraft's Dr. Pretorius is the main villain here. It doesn't make much sense why (or how) he is even here, but I do appreciate it as sort of a loving nod to another classic literary author and character. While there are a few classic scenes and lines, overall Bride of Frankenstein is still a fairly uneven but enjoyable outing. I would;t say it's iconic, or even great but it is good and fun.
October 26, 2014
As far as sequels go, "The Bride of Frankenstein" is great, however, I felt like I wanted more of the bride than what was delivered. Instead of having the entire film build to that one climatic moment, it should have happened earlier on and then have added more suspense to whether or not it would work out. I felt a bit let down with this sequel. Boris Karloff actually improves on his acting from the first and makes you feel for him in every moment throughout this film, and I will say that is the one aspect that was done better, emotion. The character of Frankenstein's Monster has much more to do here, but nobody else seems to be as motivated as he does for finding his mate. Overall, it is a great classic film that is definitely rewatchable, but the original is the true marvel. "The Bride of Frankenstein" is great!
November 25, 2013
The greatest sequel of all time.
October 10, 2014
This is the Universal classic and monster movie by which all other monster movies should be rated. Atmospheric, ghoulishly funny and poignant, it's suitable for all ages and all ages will derive something from it. Karloff is at his peak here, the framing story gives some slight historical context and Ernest Thesiger steals the show!
October 9, 2014
Commonly viewed as the best of the Frankenstein films, to me it lacked the genuine nature of the first and almost came across as a parody.
September 22, 2014
Building on the excellence of the first film with more wit, vision, and pathos, the Sequel of Frankenstein continues the Grand Guinol tradition of its classic forebear while upping the creative ante, gifting filmgoers with the greatest monster movie of all time. Still working from Mary Shelly's novel (the film even brilliantly provides an introduction with Shelly, her lover, and Lord Byron discussing the story's development), the creature gets imbued with the power of speech while visiting a blind hermit while trying - but failing to the screams of many - to be accepted. It's possibly the most human of monster movies, soliciting sympathy for a patchwork man who didn't ask to get made. Searching for companionship, he demands a mate and visionary director James Whale demands full creative control. Atmospheric to an unforgettable degree, the film proves even more Expressionistic than the last chapter without qualifying as Expressionism. Technically, even beyond lighting and sets, Bride of Frankenstein's set design and scope is an absolute technical marvel.

In this unrated horror classic, Dr. Frankenstein (Colin Clive) becomes forced to tempt fate once again when the monster (Boris Karloff) and an equally mad scientist (Ernst Thesiger) demand a suitable mate (Elsa Lanchester) for his creation.

Of course, it helps to have such epically great players. In an age when cast and crew return for a second or tenth go-round without question, Bride's revolutionary status seems less than groundbreaking. But Colin Clive and Boris Karloff develop their already fascinating characters further under Whale's specific direction to great effect. Most importantly, this macabre masterpiece winningly employs a great degree of humor, dipping its toes into camp without becoming campy.

Bottom line: Monster High
August 28, 2014
A monster and his beloved dead bride!
½ August 12, 2014
Ignore the cheesy choreography, 'graphics', and among other outdated things that make movies good today...

And this is honestly a good movie.
November 3, 2013
(First and only viewing - 11/3/2013)
March 2, 2013
One of those rare sequels that is actually worthy of its predecessor. Karloff returns as the monster, and Clive as Frankenstein. Karloff adds more personality to the Monster, while Clive reluctantly obliges his monster with a Bride. A fantastic, simple, yet original work of cinematic art.
½ June 1, 2014
Human soul can always be more terrifying than a monstrous outlook.
½ May 1, 2014
After the instant success of Frankenstein (1931), Universal Pictures wanted a sequel, and they got Frankenstein's director James Whale back, and they worked together on finding a suitable plot. Pitches and ideas came and went, but they returned to a passage from Mary Shelley's book that was never adapted for the first film, and that was the genesis for this film, which is a very compelling film. After the events of the first film, Dr. Henry Frankenstein (Colin Clive) and his Monster (Boris Karloff) are seemingly killed, but they weren't. They survived, but only just. Frankenstein is nursed back to health by his fiancée Elizabeth (Valerie Hobson), during his recovery, Frankenstein is visited by old mentor Doctor Septimus Pretorius (Ernest Thesiger), who wants to help him create a new monster. Meanwhile, the original monster has taken refuge at the house of an old blind hermit (O. P. Heggie), who teaches the monster human feelings and emotions. Meanwhile, Frankenstein and Pretorius create a female version of the monster... This one has more heart and feelings over the original film, and it's actually a more compelling and original film too. It has some good scares for it's day, and Whale created not one but two iconic movie monsters with this film, and it's a doomed love story as well, tragic as well as compelling in equal measure.
½ July 10, 2013
Much better than the original, the monster speaks, for one. Nice intro with Mary Shelly, and an interesting title; was this a mistake, or deliberate. The bride of Dr Frankenstein plays a critical role in the film but I suspect that the bride of the monster, who plays a very minor part, is the intended subject.
April 6, 2014
(80%)
Still very enjoyable, Karloff is hands down the best on-screen monster of all time, and the general quality is high making a solid horror classic. The tragic element of the monster is well realised adding more interest and bite. An unmissable classic.
March 26, 2014
The Bride of Frankenstein hasn't aged magnificently, but it still counts as one of the classic Frankenstein movies and one of Karloff's best.