Movies Like La Mariée était en Noir (The Bride Wore Black)

90% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

La Mariée était en Noir (The Bride Wore Black) Reviews

Anthony L

April 11, 2013
Francois Truffaut may well have been influenced by the films of Alfred Hitchcock but to give him credit, he had his own style and way of telling a story. For one, dodgy humour was never in favour, satire is about as close as it gets to cheap laughs. This is a sweat tale of revenge, never over the top or unbelievable but inventive and full of suspense. Jeanne Moreau is delectable as the Bride, unlike Uma Thurman in the sort-of remake in Kill Bill. Quentin Tarantino should sometimes realise that less is more, his retelling of the story is a bit heavy handed, Truffaut's version is sharp as it is chic.
Pierluigi P

August 28, 2007
Stylish revenge thriller by François Truffaut, who I think was rather too ponderous, subtle and out of his element everytime he tried to get into Hitchcock territory; but with the macabre Bernard Herrmann in the music, and the sophisticated and calm Jeanne Moreau; he had winning aces.
Michael G

November 15, 2006
Well done but pretty damn boring.
Eduardo T

March 28, 2012
Made it on my favorite list tens minutes into the film. The advertising team made a great decision to put full frontal nudity in the trailer. I always thought that was considered taboo in the 60's. This is the film Quentin Tarantino ripped off to make Kill Bill. He claims never to have seen it but I say otherwise. This film is unpopular so there is a chance that he hasn't. But it is ironic that the plot of this is a bride going around killing people for revenge, it's the exact same plot as Kill Bill. This film is a homage to Alfred Hitchcock who is one of Quentin's inspirations. So maybe that's why there both similar, just maybe. I find it hard to believe that Quentin is an Alfred Hitchcock fan yet hasn't watched a film that was inspired by Alfred. Overall this is one cool film. If you liked Kill Bill then watch this as well. It's not as violent as Kill Bill but it's still entertaining. The plot was okay. People say that this film has a big plot hole. That plot hole being, how did she find the men? She herself answered the plot hole. She said it took her a long time but she managed. Hello people, ever heard of phone books and public registries. There are ways to find people that you know nothing about. The men where staying at a hotel so she could have just gone to the hotel and got there names they signed with. Moving along, the writing was okay. I didn't like the scene at the beginning with the two guys. All they where talking about is women. It had nothing to do with the story and contributed nothing so that part should have been taken out. Other then that the rest of the dialogue was great. I really enjoyed reading the movie. The acting was really good. You could really get into the characters minds and feel there suffering. That's something I didn't feel in Kill Bill. The direction was superb by the same director of The 400 Blows. The camera angles where great. They used the camera angles I like because if a film doesn't have the camera angles I like then it does take away from the experience. This is probably the longest review I have ever written. It just goes to show you how much I love this film. If you are a fan of Alfred Hitchcock and foreign films then this is the perfect film for you.
John2223
John2223

February 6, 2009
It is obvious that this is the movie that inspired ¨Kill Bill¨ because there is a lot of similities and homage scenes, eventhough Tarantino stated he has never seen it. Guess what?! I don´t believe him.
¨The Bride Wore Black¨ is a hitchcokian flix that is beautifully photographed and employs a no-nonsense score. The film is fairly gripping and well acted,
I would give it a higher rating because the story good, however flawed.
jimbotender
jimbotender

August 16, 2008
The premise of Kill Bill (oh you Tarantino copycat...),brilliantly extracting influences from Hitchcock,probably through their conversation monsieur Francois arranged in an interview style,the Bride is Moreau in her most sexual display and provocative grandeur.Beauty is subjective,revenge is a personal cause,under the surface injustice wears any color possible,detective stories are of course enchanting.The tricks of Truffaut's majesty.
Tom S

April 11, 2007
Best scene: As the camera trails him and his mother, a young boy suspects an unwelcome presence may be following them. He's one smart Cookie.
iLeo
iLeo

December 28, 2007
Intriguing!
April 3, 2011
A mysterious woman turns up in the lives of five men, charming and deadly, playing a game of cat and mouse with them for reasons that become clear as the film progresses. Suffice to say that her mission is a just one, as she's suffered a great loss at the hands of these men who she's never even met, a fact which adds to the heinous nature of their crime against her.

Well acted and definitely worth a look, give this one a rental at the very least.
December 26, 2009
it is possoble to some people this was excitiong when it came out, to me it seemed boring and predictible. even if it was a bit extreme
MovieGuruDude72
April 16, 2008
Francois Truffaut was a respected and talented director, but there's only one Hitchcock. Call me a homer. I don't care. Of course, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and Truffaut was most certainly meaning this to be a tribute to the filmmaking master. But Truffaut falls short in his effort to mimic Hitchcock. I found this kind of pretentious and boring. A Hitchcock movie always left me gripping my chair.
joewarnerjr
December 17, 2008
This was really different from the other Truffaut films I have seen. Jeanne Moreau is fantastic as always.
July 10, 2013
Odd little murder mystery. Odd because it's French; Murder since there is a vengeful serial-killer; and a mystery because of how & why the killer has anything to avenge. While it was likely shocking in 1968 now it's a great chick flick - with subtitles.
April 14, 2013
Moreau is brilliant and truffault makes a very taut directing in this, but its definitely 60's memorabilia and bears the ensigns of its decade proudly. Its can almost be qualified as a proto-slasher and the rythm at wich they fall like flies is very satisfying. And Moreau doesnt have one tacky atom in her soul so its all done very gracefully.
December 16, 2012
After seeing Kill Bill years ago ruins this movie for me. Further cementing what a copycat Quentin Tarantino is. the movie itself is not bad. the pacing is a bit slow in places but your more interested in how she carries out her mission than what the mission is having an effect on her
August 28, 2012
Successfully walks the line between suspense and humor. Dark, dark humor.
Eduardo T

March 28, 2012
Michael H.
April 1, 2012
As homage to Hitchcock, it reveals what a master Hitchcock was. Truffaut's film offers occasional faint echoes of suspense and intrigue plus a pretty cleverly shot conclusion. It's said that Trufaut was unhappy with the look of the film (among his earliest in color) which mirrors my reaction when I saw the film and, after less than a minute, thought it should really be black and white. The story strongly resembles the basic premise of "Kill Bill" though Tarantino says he'd never seen "The Bride Wore Black". Nevertheless, it's an interesting echo for modern viewers.
KevinRobbins
March 17, 2012
All women are prostitutes. Except my mother, she's a saint.

Julie Kohler had a horrific event tailspin her life into despair and attempted suicide. When her mother prevents her from killing herself Julie turns to church. Most people look to church for direction. Julie looks to church to make a vow...a vow to obtain revenge.

"There are no optimists or pessimists, there are only idiots and unhappy people."

Francois Truffaut, director of Love on the Run, The Green Room, The Last Metro, Confidentially Yours, Fahrenheit 451, and The 400 Blows, delivers The Bride Wore Black. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and well delivered. The pace is a bit slow but the acting and methodical approach was worth following. The cast includes Jeanne Moreau, Charles Denner, Michael Bouquet, and Claude Rich.

"Where's your place?"
"My place? Why I'd never dare propose it?"
"Well, dare."

This grabbed my wife's attention while flicking through the channels so she decided to DVR it. I was interested that Hitchcock loved this novel and movie. I did enjoy the film but felt it was a little slower at times than it needed to be and certain scenes could have been edited out. Overall, this is a worthwhile picture if you're a fan of crime drama that feels like a Hitchcock gem.

"For you, it's in the past. For me, I lived through it every night."

Grade: A-
Jonny B

November 5, 2011
This is a spectacular movie. It has a cast to die for, a script with witty dialogue, masterful direction, and a story with copious surprises and wonderful moments. Jeanne Moreau is a treasure, one of the finest actresses to make it on celluloid. The movie is a pleasure to look at - I even love the costume design -, it's rich and has beautiful compositions - the photography of Raoul Coutard is aesthetically exquisite, with an effect at times like a Rothko painting where you get lost staring at the visuals and always getting something new from them and end up finding yourself losing track of time or in this case some plot points. After watching this I was flabbergasted to know that this movie is almost entirely unknown in the horror community, which is a sad fact because it could pass as a French giallo. 'The Bride Wore Black' is more akin to Hitchcok - Truffaut brings in Bernard Hermann who composes a magical score - and it's a waste of time listing how Truffaut has made a homage and he, in this viewer's mind, outdoes Hitchcock a lot of the time in this picture. And although he does outdo Hitchcock sometimes, Truffaut's use of very obvious Hitchcock references can feel like overkill. For those used to Truffaut's more emotional movies, 'The Bride Wore Black' will be a disappointment but it's worth seeing Mr. Truffaut doing something that's emotionally dry but has its own qualities that shouldn't be dismissed.