70% The Equalizer Sep 26

—— Witches of East End: Season 2

Bridegroom Reviews

Christian C

November 11, 2013
Heartbreaking. An important document of the realities of discrimination. Put together in a very competent manner.
November 10, 2013
I think the most heartbreaking thing about this film is that there are STILL people who won't be affected by it and who won't care that situations like this one are reality for so many couples. Whatever your views on equality, you NEED to see this documentary.
November 1, 2013
Wow ... this really should tug at heartstrings and I do not know what to make of those who could watch this and not come away with an understanding that "love is love" and we are all people who basically want the same things in life -- the only label that should matter is "human being". Bridegroom is a very simply told documentary that was funded and made possible by the crowd-funding website, Kickstarter, about Shane, a young man from Kalispell, Montana who grew up dreaming of California and hoping to one day find the love and happiness all others in his life experienced. Soon after high school graduation and his 18th birthday, Shane moved south to the sunny weather of the Los Angeles area and was reluctantly paired up with a person four-years older than him -- who was much-more outgoing -- but shared many of his same interests and likes. The two eventually hit it off, were deemed "soul-mates" by some and formed a strong and solid six-year relationship that saw them blossom and travel the world and laugh and smile and share in each other's triumphs and stumbles. The relationship ended suddenly when the love of Shane's life tragically fell four stories from a building and died. The story is told through Shane's confessions to the camera using many archived clips and photographs to show the developing relationship. Many of the couple's friends and family members are also interviewed that lend support to Shane and the remarkably strong relationship he was in that appeared to have been one that would last forever had tragedy not struck in the prime of their lives. The documentary is nothing flashy and is nothing more than clips of people talking about their friend/son/brother who was in love and so there is nothing ground-breaking in its presentation or style; but it packs an emotional punch as it reveals love is an uncontrollable human act. I'd heard some hype about this little film that implied it "must be seen"! The doc asks some very valid questions and I believe it should be seen. The person at the center of this doc who died had listed God as their hero on one of their social media homepages ... I kind of dare anybody to watch this film and say God did not play an important part in bringing Shane and Tom (yes -- gasp, his love was a boy!) together. He showed them the importance of love and now Shane is showing us. IF God is love ...
August 2, 2014
A great picture of reality that all should see and be aware of. I cried my eyes out during the whole thing. Its a shame how we treat each other as human beings.
June 30, 2014
Really just an arbitrary rating at this point. The story is more important than any star rating can afford it.
June 13, 2014
movie about gay people struggles, somehow now in vogue and far eclipse any heterosexual social issues and personal relationships. Today you can release anything "2 gay guys riding a bus" and it will be met with critical praise.
January 23, 2014
Never have I felt so torn down and uplifted, all at the same time, by a single movie. The passionate love that these two had for each other is undeniable and beautiful. What an incredibly poignant story.
June 1, 2014
A little preachy, but nevertheless, a meaningful documentary that exposes the injustice of gay couples not having the legal protections that accompany marriage.
May 11, 2014
Acho que fazia tempo que eu não chorava tanto assistindo algo. Amor independe de sexo, credo, raça ou cor. Testemunhar a incessante mediocridade humana, dia após dia, é algo que me faz não lamentar o fato de um dia morrermos.
May 11, 2014
April 18, 2014
Powerful, touching and inspiring. Bridegroom is about equality and humanity. A must-see.
April 12, 2014
I <3 this film!!! It is amazing the amount of love Tom and Shane had for another and them not having the rights they deserved is absurd to me when so many couples just get married to abuse those rights such as visas. they were a couple who deserved it more than anyone and were denied it due to the current law at the time!! <3 <3 ... "its not a It is not a Gay Thing, It is not a Straight thing, and it is a human thing" <3 <3 <3
April 8, 2014
Engaging and emotional, but doesn't tell anything new in this familiar story. I am not if these guys weren't as attractive as they are, this movie would have been made. Is this a god watch? Sure. Is it groundbreaking in any way or enage people in conversation? I doubt it
April 7, 2014
Okay, so this is a tragic story, but there isn't really much story here. The fact that gay partners aren't/weren't recognised by hospitals is a ridiculous thing, but this is more hard hitting with disease and coma, not tragic accident and quick death.
It's a one sided tale weeping of (understandable) bitterness, but it just looks like the extended memorial tape he was going to play at the funeral he never planned.
Seems terrible to say, but the first hour is all about their wonderful relationship and it's vom central. "Look how great we were. We traveled the world. Everyone thought we were amazing. No-one has ever been so in love." It's trying to play up the tragedy and this just seems to be a case of shit happens. It's awful, but shit happens.
I do not recommend. Didn't even make me cry, I was so annoyed with the smugness.
January 27, 2014
A dor e comoção cravada que permeia o filme todo, sem qualquer tom oportunista, é destinada à todas as consciências ainda cegas.
February 26, 2014
Despite some plain sentimental parts, Bridegroom is a deeply moving documentary about love and loss.
February 20, 2014
Everyone who doesn't like this is truely ignorant.
lasttimeisaw
January 22, 2014
A bona fide tearjerker! I am oblivious of Shane's youtube videos, which kickstarts this feature-length picture, but the film needs to be seen by literally everyone, whether for or against the same sex equity, it is deeply heartfelt and perspicaciously educational, I think whoever as long as hold a small fraction of mercy in their hearts, regardless of their religious convictions, after watching this film, it will be a game-changer for the prejudiced and a touchstone for a mightier love above social class, creed, race, color and gender.

The documentary is about Shane and Tom, a gay couple being together for 6 years until Tom died of falling from a rooftop accidentally in 2011 (aged 29), the interviewers (Shane, his families and their friends) chart the story of their lives from Shane's childhood, his bullied school days and his struggling self-identification of being a gay man while Tom attended a first-rate high school albeit his blue-collar family background, and turned out to be an all-american boy, handsome, macho, outgoing, a role model excels both in sports and academy. After fate let them meet in L.A., their relationship epitomizes the most desiring lover-cum-soulmate perfection one could ever dream of, which causes the ensuing tragedy far more harrowing to bear.

A familiar juncture for almost every gay person, the coming-out process, particularly to Tom's parochial family, it was an incubus, which sheerly contrasts with the understandable reaction from Shane's family, however, it is all evinced secondhand by Shane and their friends, since Tom's family adopted the silent treatment to the invitation of the production team to be part of the film, surely we will never know the story from the other side, which is a minor glitch in this otherwise viscerally affecting picture.

Nevertheless, a more contingent fact is how the young soul's passing provoked much more indignation when Tom's family flagrantly shut down Shane out of the funeral and expunged their entire life together as if it never happened, it is an atrocious transgression towards our very basic canon as human beings, it is love unites us, differentiates us and sublimates us from other creatures on earth, and propels our society to move on to a better world, so even though BRIDEGROOM (which is Tom's family name, what a pertinent one!) is hardly a ground-breaking piece of art work (SMS interaction, video footages, travel photography is all it has to render the narrative aside common interviews with apt editing), it is a film should not be missed and I do hope the cost of a young life can be at least in some level compensated by awakening more conservative minds to evaluate the world with a more humane mind and encouraging more individuals to embrace their true color. Also, best wishes to Shane, you are lucky enough to experience true love and don't lose hope, live long and prosper!
January 19, 2014
This movie was so emotional and I really feel for Shane and I wish he's able to find love again
Victoria N.
January 3, 2014
A documentary about love - that will break anyone's heart. But more than anything it's a poignant lesson of the importance of acceptance and love.