92% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

—— Wilfred: Season 4
43% Young & Hungry: Season 1

The Bridges at Toko-Ri Reviews

June 15, 2014
life during wartime this time korean war
June 9, 2014
Solid war scenes. Grace Kelly is sadly wasted.
themrings
January 1, 2014
One of William Holden's best ~
January 12, 2013
Standout film set in the Korean war and praising the courage of U.S. Navy fliers. In this one, Holden plays a lieutenant who reluctantly leaves his wife and children to go back in service and on a mission that is practically suicidal. With plenty of dramatic backdrop and stunning special effects that make the visuals of the mission quite spectacular, as well as great performances by Holden and the wonderful Kelly as his wife, this film mixes well the drama with the war and even makes the effort not to be too patriotic.
Traceymovies
April 4, 2011
World War II veteran William Holden (as Harry Brubaker) isn't sure he wants to return to service as the United States of America battles Communist expansion in Korea; although, Fredric March (as George Tarrant) is very convincing. With the support of glamorous wife Grace Kelly (as Nancy Brubaker) and pal Mickey Rooney (as Mike Forney), Mr. Holden agrees to participate in a dangerous mission -- he will attempt to blow up "The Bridges at Toko-Ri", a Communist stronghold.

Mark Robson directs his starry cast well. The ending is especially exciting, albeit getting there is rather dull. Rooney helps to keep it from getting too boring; and, he helps mend fences with the Japanese. Ms. Kelly punctuates the regal, top-o'-the-line production values; noticeably, she is barely around. Holden's portrayal is a little ambiguous, while Mr. March is very dutiful. March's character should know the answer to his question, "Where do we get such men?" since he has a front row seat.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
A great cast, but a boring war movie. I didn't like it. I'd only recommend seeing this if you really want to see one of the actors in it.
Stevee T.
April 14, 2010
The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954) is a movie I got last year but took my time to watch. You see, last year, I had an infatuation with Grace Kelly, I mean, she was really cool. When I saw a three-pack of her movies I just had to have it. Really, I just wanted it because it had 'The Country Girl' on it, and The Bridges at Toko-Ri was just part of that pack and I didn't make a lot of effort to watch it. So the opportunity came when I hadn't rented a DVD out and I had no choice but to watch this one. War movies really aren't my thing, unless they are set in World War I or II and they have a lot of romance in them. Toko-Ri was not that exciting to start with, and I kept fidgeting and trying to find other things to do. But I stuck to it, and by the end I was satisfied. Grace Kelly wasn't in it a lot, but she stole the show. Every time she came on the screen, she movie look better. I'm not saying that William Holden is a bad actor or anything, but Grace was a delightful addition to the cast and one of the few reasons why I kept watching it. The story follow men fighting in the Korean War, and it was surprising to see Mickey Rooney in it as a temperamental Irish-man. Sometimes it felt like a boring episode of M*A*S*H (yes, I used to watch that program), and other times it just felt like a reason to make a propaganda film about why war's are bad. If you love Grace Kelly, you may just want to skip to all the scenes with her in it, but other wise, just save this for when you're really desperate.
filmjunkie25
December 23, 2007
I love Grace Kelly, but she wasn't really in this movie. Still, she managed to steal the show and was relief from all the boring bits of the movie.
Yelverton
November 13, 2009
I know this is supposed to be a great film, but it just didn't do anything for me.
cody f

March 18, 2009
Not a bad film, but a little melodramatic. What makes this film enjoyable is the realistic war footage and William Holden. I really enjoyed all of the scenes on the aircraft carrier and it's daily workings, and the air combat scenes are fantastic and still hold up today. The scenes with Grace Kelly that are off the carrier are too melodramatic and a bit unrealistic. William Holden is great as always and the ending is really strong.
jjb3332003
March 15, 2009
The last 15 minutes or so raised this film from below-average to a pretty decent war movie. The ending was taut and the movie provided good insight into the mechanics of life on board an aircraft carrier, but the overt patriotism, the obvious use of models during important scenes, and the woodenness of the characters make this a slightly overrated film in my book.
polishedsilver
April 27, 2008
Definitely not all it was cracked up to be. Disappointed.
sanjurosamurai
sanjurosamurai

January 24, 2007
this is a great film, but it is one of the saddest films i have ever seen. the end is down right depressing as a family man. much of the film felt average at best, but the actual flying sequences were excellent, raising the overall quality of the film. a classic and must watch.
March 15, 2008
This was the whole movie: *wind gust, *buzz, *more wind gust...

I gotta admit, the first half, I was bored out of my mind; the second half, I was STILL bored out of my mind! I guess aviation films are not my thing. But I try to see the good in every movie, so I would say that William Holden certainly did not disappoint. Now if we just had more talking instead of wind gusts...
MECreviews
September 22, 2006
I don't really like war films.
thescunk
November 29, 2007
An old fashioned movie, which of course means, yes, a good story, but long and boring. It also has a sad ending. Meh.
baysider28
June 4, 2007
Although Grace Kelly is advertised on the bill, she really isn't in this movie that much. She has, at most, six or seven scenes, the rest of the movie follows William Holden. As far as Grace Kelly movies go, it's not one of my favorites, but from a storytelling perspective, its a decent viewing.
February 28, 2007
a war story and what is like for some that are in it keeps just like the book and it's good too
rcwiles
January 18, 2007
A gritty, grim story of a doomed pilot. Riveting with the 'train wreck' fascination potential. Prefer more gung-ho, good-guys-win, but one I recommend in the genre.