• PG, 1 hr. 59 min.

79% Penny Dreadful: Season 1
84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Bright Star Reviews

May 8, 2011
a bright star that fails to shine
July 8, 2013
lovely performance by abbie Cornish in a love story of john keats. only thing which I did not like in the movie was no background and the slowpace of story telling. else witty dialogues keep u entertained . good film to watch when u have patience.
December 25, 2013
I should probably read some Keats. Anyone got any good Keats for beginners suggestions?
September 28, 2009
If one knows anything about Keats before seeing this film, watching it is a both exciting and irritating experience. Is the story of John Keats and Fanny Brawne a bit overly romanticized? Most definitely, however, for some reason the usually overly analytical me did not care one bit. Abbie Cornish is purely sensational as the tough Brawne, and there is (despite complaints of it being too cartoonishly brooding,) a quiet power to Ben Whishaw's performance as Keats. With all of this being said, one could actually watch the film on mute and be just as moved. Jane Campion's natural light gives everyone a pale, dewy complexion. Her digital handheld cameras are crisp and superbly refreshing in a period drama. I think I may have just summed up the film, "superbly refreshing take on the period drama." Yeah, that sounds about right.
January 10, 2010
Jane Campion has been declining, or shall I say she only has one piece of good work? The film is surely artistic and the love story could have been emotionally colourful. But it just fails.
June 12, 2013
The love story is engaging, but could have made me feel more.
July 26, 2010
Literalmente, arte em sua essência. O que são os poemas desse filme?
May 26, 2013
Despite the appealing visual concept, the story was moving too slow that made me feel nothing but boredom. Maybe I'll try to watch it again if I have nothing else to kill the time.
John B

May 2, 2013
This falls into the category of period films that I don't like. Nothing to jump out to make me want to love it but with acting that is hard to criticize. I suppose if you like this sort of thing..
May 1, 2013
Poética e intensa esta visão sobre o romance de John Keats e Fanny Brawne :)
May 1, 2013
it should have won an oscar for the bluebell scene alone. great costumes too. Abie Cornish held the film well.
April 19, 2013
"A poem needs understanding through the senses. The point of diving into a lake is not immediately to swim to the shore but to be in the lake, to luxuriate in the sensation of water. You do not work the lake out, it is a experience beyond thought. Poetry soothes and emboldens the soul to accept the mystery."

Each scene, every word uttered by the characters was so beautifully and often wittily crafted that I couldn't help but wish I lived in such a lush world, full of idealism and love of literature. John Keats, the most intensely romantic of the Romantic poets (although Shelley and Lord Byron did their best) could not have received a fairer treatment, plus he was superbly acted by Ben Whislaw; I fell in love with the entire cast. This film lives up to its potential, and if you know anything about the life of Keats, you realize that it is a Titanic sort of plot, because the ship must go down.
"Bright Star" maybe is Jane Campion's least graphic film, but it's also one of her most passionate!
April 12, 2013
Deeply moving, emotional, poetic!
March 12, 2013
A modest, gentle love story with lovely performances a bittersweet ending.
November 25, 2012
A powerful, deeply emotional film that made me want to read more by Keats and will lead me to forever associate Ben Whishaw with the frail, romantic great of English poetry.
February 16, 2013
This was a beautiful and touching movie of the love of poet John keats and Fanny Brawne. Bittersweet in that John died so young and Fanny never gave up her love for him even after his death. Beautiful scenery was poetic in and of itself.
sgreen50
July 13, 2010
Behind every great man is a strong woman. I'd been waiting to see this and it was sooo good. Totally what I had expected. This is an excellent historical drama/romance. It was stunning to get a glimpse at Keats passion for life, for writing, and to see how he was not only driven by these passions, but by his love for Fanny. The forbidden love is bittersweet, and Fanny sacrifices everything for him. The ending where he goes to Italy too late is so sad it made me cry. I liked this even better than The Accompanist.
Ofeli G.
January 24, 2013
Was OK but not enough story. Ben Whishaw & Abbie Cornish fantastic together.
August 29, 2010
My God..there's nothing bad in this movie. Beautifully well done.
January 9, 2013
Campion gives a grand effort and I applaud her for not downplaying the influential role of Fanny Brawne had upon the brilliance of John Keats (his poems to the audiences aid and benefit are quoted extensively throughout the film) during the early 19th century, but the pacing and dramatic jumps in time as a film are difficult to recover from.