Broken Trail - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Broken Trail Reviews

½ September 20, 2011
This is a made for TV movie that does not feel like one. Duvall's creation of his character is complete, consistent, and endearing. His performance is flawless, but for that matter, so is that of the entire cast. Church portrays the perfect rugged supporting character. It is long, but doesn't feel that way. Very well done......
April 23, 2011
Unique pairing of Duval and Church grounds this unique western road trip that includes horse herding, gunplay, and the Oriental slave trade. It's the emotional touches that brand you and let you know it's one exceptional piece of work.
bbcfloridabound
October 3, 2009
The very Best Movie I have seen in some time. Robert Duvall (Print Ritter )played the part of a Range Boss to the Tee. (Thomas Haden Church) played by Tom Harte is Duvall?s Cousin in this movie. They Movie some horse across a few states and in the process rescue 5 Chinese girls from the hands of a whore Trader. Of Course traveling all these miles they come across bad dudes, the madam who paid for the girls and now hires a killer to retrieve the girls. All in all it makes for an excellent film, Factual gun scenes. Yes sir worth every bit of 5 stars

(Robert Duvall) and his estranged nephew Tom Harte (Thomas Haden Church)
½ July 28, 2007
This is one of the best modern westerns in a long time. Its sort of long, it could have stood to have been edited down,but the cinematography is great and so is the story.
iLeo
January 27, 2008
Fantastic movie! A favorite.
½ July 28, 2013
Broken Trail is an excellent western drama that hardly ever feels like it was made for TV. Although it had a length of three hours, time flew by like it was nothing since the story is engaging and the acting is superb. Before I knew it, it was already over, which was slightly disappointing due to how engaging and compelling it was. This is a great film that deserves more attention and should be watched by anyone who loves a good western or drama. If you haven't seen Broken Trail, it is definitely worth seeing.
May 10, 2011
I would love to have seen this on the big screen..As westerns go this one has to make into your top 10..when I first read that Church was in it I was concerned...after watching..... I'm asking his management team WHY??? have I not seen him in other westerns....if you like westerns at all, give it a look
September 20, 2010
This is one Western which is heavy on the drama, light on the gunslinging. It's about 2 estranged family members who stumble upon human trafficking of some asian chicks, which back then in the Old West asians were exploited for cheap labor, etc. It could use a little editing (it runs so long!), but it was worth watching to me, because Thomas Haden Church and Robert Duvall act the f*ck out of their roles, especially in the "showdown" scene towards the end.

In the showdown scene, our two lead characters are ambushed by the traffickers, are cornered, outnumbered, outgunned and are in fear of their lives. Their emotions are so raw and so palpable, you don't just SEE the terror in their eyes, you can actually FEEL it. Robert Duvall was SUCH a badass in it too, btw.
June 24, 2009
This brings light to the reality of oversees girl being sold into the sex trade and there are good people out there to help. Although everyone isn't that lucky to find them.
May 3, 2009
I am surprised this film doesn't have more comments. It is brilliant. The acting is top notch- Duvall does a stellar performance. Thomas Haden Church is very believable and I think he was born to play in Westerns. The land where they filmed is spectacular and, I think, reason enough to see the film. Want an exciting, touching, wise Western? Well then watch broken trail. It's long and I like that. The characters are well developed and there are no loose ends. It kind of reminds me of Wallace Stegner's writing. It's poetic, yet full of grit. Enjoy!
March 15, 2009
OWNS IT WAS GOOD WESTRN ,HOWEVER THIS ISNT MUCH GUN FIGHTING IN IT , ALMOST REMINDS ME OF LONESOME DOVE , STORYLINE MOSTLY THE SAME BUT WITH ORINETAL WOMAN LOL
½ January 26, 2009
A very watchable western. The highlight is definitely the pairing of Duvall and Church, both of whom give solid performances.
Fans of the genre who are more interested in vistas, horses, and characters than gunplay should check it out (though there's a shooting or two in there, as well).
June 21, 2008
I've learned now that while I don't care for the Western genre as a whole, I've throughly enjoyed the more recent westerns that have been released in the past 15 years or so (including Unforgiven, Tombstone, Open Range, 3:!0 To Yuma) and this movie fits right up there along with them. However this film is different from them in that it is much slower paced and more fine tuned. It really was great film making and watching it in HD was a great experience given the landscape and settings used in the film. Duvall has his A Game as usual and Haden Church proves to me that he has great great talent. He was one of the few things, if the only thing, I enjoyed about Spidey 3. Great Western.
January 26, 2008
eeek... this is like one of the bestest westerns i have ever seen... and besides its got Robert Duvall in it...
November 6, 2007
I'm not the biggest one for westerns but this one is totally worth seeing. Robert Duvall gives a wonderful and believable performance.
May 27, 2008
A modern western and the kind of picture they don't make any more, one that's simple, gripping and true, not to mention an absolute return to form by the old master Walter Hill. A near perfect union of script, actors and director.
December 12, 2013
Fine yarn! Beautiful horses & scenery. Evidently a true story. Well done.
½ July 28, 2013
½ May 30, 2013
Post-western realism and pioneer idealism combined for a gripping tale in which both Church and Duvall shine.
July 13, 2011
A must-see western, bound to be categorized as a classic with the likes of lonesome dove.