92% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

88% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
44% Working the Engels: Season 1

Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony Reviews

January 4, 2014
a fantastic look at the brony culture, the people, the actors, the creators, and is one of the most heartwarming and entertaining documentaries ever made.
April 28, 2014
"Bronies" tells the story of the grown men who have embraced a girls' cartoon, and the community they've created by herding together. By examining the show's fans and talking to the show's creative talents, "Bronies" tells a story that's both amusing and touching in the way it depicts the loving and supportive herd they've created. My biggest complaint is that Bronies runs too long; a good 20 minutes could have been cut and the film would have just as much impact.
April 9, 2014
This movie was complete shit. It wasn't a documentary, but just propaganda. The only other side shown on the argument was at the beginning when the director interviewed a few people on their thoughts of Bronies. What is the most irritating about the documentary is that they had "scientists" conduct "studies" that showed that Bronies were not actually old pedophiles (average age was "20") but that these Bronies were "highly educated". The documentary decided not to explain how these studies were conducted, what the methodology consisted of, what the sample size was, if there was a control group, the operationalization of "education" etc. There was also a "psychologist" that postulated that this show was helping people cope with a post 9/11 world. She mentioned 9/11 a few times in that sentence. She was obviously reading cue cards as you can see her eyes moving to read something in the distance. You also had John De Lancie defending these people and talking about the magic of the show, when he obviously had forgotten he had ever done it. It was just so incredibly fake. The whole documentary did not expand on many points anyone made. One writer for the show stated, "My son isn't able to talk, isn't able to walk, he isn't able to do any of the things I expected him to be able to do, if he was a Brony, I would think that's amazing, because he would be a sweet understanding compassionate boy that got that watching girl character doing awesome thing is just as good as watching boy characters doing awesome things." She never mentions anything else about her son. Does she have a son? Does she have a mute, limbless boy? So watching a show immediately makes you follow the morals the show teaches? Could these guys not just like it because it's pretty? Or could they not still be awful people?
If it was a documentary, why was there not the other side of the coin? Why only look at the positives or from the viewpoint of the Bronies? The story is one side and that side isn't even very interesting. Shows people being Bronies, and why it was spun to be positive, why could they go into why these people would need a show to tell them to be kind and be a friend? A lot of these people are introverted, one of them was even autistic. Maybe shed some light on that, but it was just there to push Bronies. Boo Boo Boo.
January 16, 2014
I really enjoyed this look at Bronie culture. To be honest, it sort of restored my faith in humanity. I just wish these messages of love weren't coming from such a corporate show with so much stigma attached to it.
July 6, 2014
very good and unbiased documentary charting the emergence of the 'My little pony' fandom. Regardless of your stance on 'bronies' this is a warm and entertaining documentary that brings together creators, actors and fans from all over the world and is well worth watching.
July 3, 2014
Apparently I am late to the party, but until I saw this documentary, I had no idea that people flock, in the thousands, to My Little Pony conventions all over the world to join in fellowship with Brony bretheren. This isn't your MLP of the 80?s or 90?s, however. The (mostly) male followers of the new age of My Little Pony love it for its animation, music, and above all, the overall message of friendship and love in the show. I must admit, I still don't really get it, but maybe I'm just getting too old. I really do appreciate the message and the vibe of these Bronies, however, and I think it's a world worth gawking at through this doc.
July 1, 2014
Some people enjoy My Little Pony: Friendship is magic. Some are male, some are female. My point is, we aren't all bronies; we just enjoy it because IT'S A GOOD SHOW.
Robin Brown
May 24, 2014
This documentary was entertaining and heartwarming, even forcing a few tears from me, which is something I had not experienced from a documentary before. However, the point should have been to inform people about what bronies really are and why it has become a phenomenon. At times I felt that this movie was made for bronies and people who know them, not those who are only aware of their existence and curious about the sub-culture. As an informative piece it was weak.
May 6, 2014
Best Documentary EVER!
April 22, 2014
Tries to make the case that the Brony fandom does not consist of oddball social outcasts prancing around in lycra costumes by interviewing oddball social outcasts then going to a convention and filming them prancing around in lycra costumes. As a documentary that tries to really get at the root of this strangest of phenomenon, it manages to only scratch the surface.
Diego L.
April 19, 2014
BRONIES DOCUMENTARY
Before this Documentary, I had never really paid attention to Bronies. When I heard about this documentary, I asked myself the question: "Why would grown men want to see a little girls show such as My Little Pony?" This documentary answers that question with a resounding, "Because the show is amazing!" The documentary primarily focuses on that question by focusing on a few stories from Bronies.

I identified with some of them as they asked similar questions about the show. However, their enthusiasm and explanations for why they loved the show shined through this documentary, especially when they went to the conventions.

I love this documentary due to the stories and the passion of these fans. I love that the fandom has the capacity for great art and creativity.

I will just make clear right now that I know that there is a "dark side" to the fandom (Clopping). The film has been criticized for not showing the dark side of the community. Frankly, the documentary isn't about the dark side of the Bronies, it's about answering the question on why men in their teenage and college years would love this show. It's about the passion of the fandom. Most importantly, it's about dispelling the negative stereotypes (40 year old living in the basement) and showing the more normal and creative side of the fandom.
The only criticism I have for the film is that they could have used a few more clips from the show to demonstrate some points (such as more character moments).
The documentary actually encouraged me to watch My Little Pony. I'm glad for it.

GRADE: Classic
NUMERICAL GRADE: 9
LETTER GRADE: A-
OVERALL OPINION: This is a very passionate documentary that personally made me want to learn more about and watch the show.
January 30, 2014
This is the worst documentary I have ever watched.
January 29, 2014
I haven't had an issue with the Bronie movement ever, and I have less of a reason to now. These are just generally nice people with a strong sense of community. I love it, who cares what their interests are? Who cares what television shows they watch? They found something that brought them together, and they created a strong community from it.
January 23, 2014
It wasn't done in a way that really went in-depth. It seemed kinda like an advertisement, if anything. A large component of the fandom is really problematic, but this shows them in a very positive manner. It's educational, though.
January 11, 2014
It's not a particularly good doc, it's stuffed with cartoon interludes that are grating, and it doesn't delve into the psychology of fandom as much as it should have, but it's got parts. Worth watching on Netflix.
January 8, 2014
It's such a battle trying not to be cynical sometimes. It's really lovely seeing a group of people bonding over such a basic concept as magical friendship.

Makes me hopeful about the future.

I wish I was half that put together as a kid.

I think I might have to watch the cartoon now.
January 7, 2014
Basically Brony propaganda! No real opposition perspective, it's just "look at how much fun we're having here".

January 4, 2014
December 30, 2013
Rather than being an advertisement for the fandom, Bronies serves as a truly insightful, compelling, and often delightful look at why so many young adults enjoy My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Your best bet is to watch it with an open mind if you otherwise would have no interest.
October 4, 2013
I enjoyed it very much; it made for what I thought was a good, honest portrayal of the fandom, which helped explain in a clear, understandable fashion why so many people from all walks of life have been entranced by this show without sugarcoating things, either. John de Lancie, Michael Brockhoff, Laurent Malaquais, and all the rest did an excellent job with this documentary, and deserve high praise for the result. Particularly impressive were the (very appropriately, considering the immensely creative nature of the fandom) fan-made animated sequences interspersed throughout the documentary, which were both hilarious and of excellent quality.