Brüno

57% Tyrant: Season 1

Brüno Reviews

Phil H

July 17, 2009
The third and final film of Cohen's main trio of characters he created for the Ali G show on TV. After the disappointing movie of Ali G Cohen wisely opted to stick with the plot formula that he used for his second film Borat which was a success. Like Borat this film is again a series of cringe-inducing sketches/setups strung together by a flimsy plot which doesn't really matter, its all about the embarrassing sequences dotted throughout.

The story follows Brüno as he travels to America to try and become the biggest gay star or celebrity ever in any way possible. There is only one other character along for the ride and that is his assistant 'Lutz' who was created for this film. So the plot has a familiar core in that once again Cohen's absurd character is travelling to the States to basically humiliate himself in any way he can...unknowingly on purpose.

This film is exactly the same as Borat's film in structure and execution basically, both characters follow their TV roots as we see familiar setups in various locations. Brüno is mainly set in and around LA, I think, as we see him attempting to become the latest hot thing on the scene. As you would expect much of this consists of hugely embarrassing and awkward scenes where he tries to make his own chat show pilot and gets upset at the focus group reviewing it, interviewing and trying to seduce an American politician (Ron Paul) who angrily storms off after Brüno takes his pants down in front of him and a fantastically funny scene where Brüno visits a spiritualist and mimes performing oral sex on a dead gay ex-lover.

But wait there's more, Cohen takes it even further this time as his character adopts a black baby and goes on an American TV show which just happens to be full of African Americans. He then exposes parents of child models by asking what they are willing to allow their kids to do for a gig, unbelievably these parents will seemingly allow their kids to do anything as long as they get the gig! Nazi uniforms anyone?. Of course this being the wild US Cohen can't resist the old deadly trio so easily found in America...homophobia, racism and American jingoism or extreme patriotism, and Cohen goes for the throat.

Its so easy to offend someone in the US with homosexuality...especially when two half naked men are trapped together in bondage and roaming the streets. Then again going to Christian faith gay converters and trying to chat them up won't help you're case much either, neither will going on a hunt with a bunch of redneck hicks and sexually harassing them whilst flirting with one of them. The best bit has to be the cage fight match where Brüno and Lutz face off against each other but end up making out in front of an enraged southern redneck crowd! Makes you wonder how they got out of there alive.

But wait, there's even more!! not only does Cohen upset the Yanks he also flies to Jerusalem to upset his own people! The sight of all these religious folks faces as Brüno swans around in his revealing camp attire is hilarious and the moment he is chased down the road by some Hasidic Jews (or very touchy religious Jewish folk at least) is mind boggling. How much of these sketches are real is difficult to tell in all honesty, whilst in the Middle East Cohen's character supposedly upsets a Mossad agent and a Palestinian terrorist leader (asking to be kidnapped!) which you'd think could be a very dangerous thing to do in reality. So it does beg the question was it real or setup? you kinda get the impression it wasn't quite as genuine as the US based stuff.

As you all know the character of Brüno is homosexual (did you notice?) so the film heavily features a lot of homosexual jokes, visual gags and naturally the obligatory bits of nudity. Where as in some countries like the UK you could probably get away with much of this stuff as the general public would probably just laugh at it, in the US its very different and Cohen knows it. Manipulating Americans seems to be Cohen's forte and he does it so well.

I think this film is probably the best out of the three personally, its much more riskier and certainly more in your face with all the homosexual references (full on cock n balls in your face actually). Many of the sequences are very funny, very offensive, very clever and very daring...we all know Cohen has balls of steel. As with all of Cohen's work its not gonna be everyone's cup of tea that's for sure, if you didn't enjoy Borat then this isn't gonna change your mind about Cohen. The film can come across as more homophobic than anything at times, so it depends on whether people can look past that. On the other hand if you liked Borat (and to a lesser extent Ali G) then this is you're lucky day as this is bigger bolder and badder than ever before.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

January 31, 2014
three stars
Christian C

May 15, 2013
Moderately entertaining, and marginally clever. Kinda panders to the worst in us.
blkbomb
blkbomb

February 14, 2013
Bruno: It's just this bear took my clothes. He took everything apart from these condoms.

"Borat was so 2006."

I have a sort of love, hate thing going on with Bruno. At one glance, there's enough brilliant social commentary to make up for how over the top and downright disgusting at times, the film is sexually. Dildo machines, gerbils, everything can be shoved up there according to Bruno and it's all just a little too much. Like I said though, some of the social commentary is really well done.

Bruno is a fashion show host in his native Austria. After destroying a runway show, he gets fired and heads to the United States to become uber-famous. He tries his luck with acting, with hosting, with sex tapes, and nothing works. He's a lost, gay, Austrian in America trying to find his niche. The plot is extremely thin, but it gives a lot of room to fuck with known people like Ron Paul and Paula Abdul.

There's a couple of scenes that actually had some brilliance behind them even though you may not realize it at the time. The scene where Bruno talks to Paula Abdul about her humanitarian efforts is simply hilarious and fantastic. Another high point was when Bruno was interviewing parents for their kids getting parts in whatever it was that he was doing. He would ask them if their children were comfortable around the most ludicrous stuff like burning phosphorous and then we would soon hear the parents answer back, "Yes."

This may not be the most civilized movie out there. I can't argue that it's all a bit much, but there's something to take away from it all. Apart from that, Sacha Baren Cohen is a pretty funny guy that can make some of the most ridiculous characters come to life. I'm not saying his characters are what we need to see, but there's some fun to be hand with the utter ridiculousness of every detail of his characters.
Matthew S

December 1, 2012
How do you get a United States senator into a private hotel room with just yourself? How do you fool the Alabama National Guard into letting you train for a day on film? How do you convince 1500 Arkansas people to come see an "anti-homosexual" wrestler roll around with a brave heckler, only to then take it and the audience to a very intimate level? This is a kind of magic that has to be seen to be believed. I recommend googling each scene as you watch, because you will find local news articles that were left in his wake as Sacha Baron Cohen exposed and exploited the colorful absurdity of people he met in these united states.
Lucas M

February 10, 2012
Crude and bold, Bruno it's other offensive mockumentary of Sacha Baron Cohen and Larry Charles. Not just bring huge laughs, the picture, also present a socialpolitical satire (just like Borat and The Dictator), that ridicule homophobic people and attitude, anti-gays religious, macho culture, racism, selfish people (specially in the scene, when the character Bruno talk to parents of model photos babys) and celebrity fever in society. Dispite, also have a great ending, Larry Charles' mockumentary, doesn't is just satisfactory as Borat. Fresh.
Sophie B

October 23, 2011
Really didn't expect much but it was hilariously funny with several really good moments however it did also have some genuinely sad and emotional parts. It's not Oscar worthy but it was funny and cheering up.
Eric A

October 6, 2011
Not as funny as Borat. Had tid bits of entertainment, but I mostly found myself saying "wtf is going on"?
Anthony L

May 24, 2011
Bruno is as shocking as you'd expect from Sacha Baron Cohen after the success of Borat and especially considering the character (also seen on Da Ali G show in the early 00s). The fact that this isn't Bruno's first outing is also it's problem in a way. He was invented to take the piss out of the world of fashion first, and then the world of celebrity but he couldn't do it in this film because he'd already done it years ago and he is still remembered. Same story as Borat really, that's why he went to America but the world of fashion in America is different to that in Europe and it just wouldn't have worked. That's why this film is a bit of a mess as far what it wants to achieve. Is it about celebrity, is it about homophobia, is it fashion, xenophobia? Weren't these covered in Borat? All that said, I did like it. it's not as successfully executed as Borat but it's still very funny, I do think he often goes after the wrong people to get his message across but generally the people who really deserve it come off worst. Better than the TV show but not as good as Borat or even Ali G for that matter, I guess that's it for Sacha Baron Cohen's trio of pranksters then yeah?
Jennifer X

April 29, 2011
Really disgusting, but sometimes it's entertaining.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

July 10, 2009
Sacha Baron Cohen does it again! Altough not the masterpiece that Borat was, this movie was a riot from beginning to end. Some of Brünos antics, like the scene with the wrestling event, are so priceless I can't even find the words for it. And in a world full of political correctness, I'm glad there's at least one comedian and film-maker out there who dares to challenge society's taboos - all in the name of good fun. What I like the most about Sacha's humor though, is that he makes fun of everyone, even minorities he himself is a part of. He isn't just controversial for the sake of it, but also tries to convey how important it is with self-distance. Because in my eyes, putting too much of a leash on what you can and cannot joke about, only serves to undermine the freedom of speech, and the liberties that we should all be able to enjoy. Anyone who feels differently, and gets offended by this film, obviously takes life way too seriously. Anyway, I'm not gonna get too long-winded here. My point is that this is no ordinary movie, but a rarity of a comedy that dares to go all the way, and hits a home-run while doing so. So if you loved Borat, I can promise you're gonna enjoy Brüno as well. Because this is, without the shadow of a doubt, the funniest comedy of 2009.
vieras e

July 7, 2009
Such a disappointment.
Rachel F

September 11, 2010
Crazy, but I thought it was funny. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
Daniel J D

August 13, 2010
Why didn't anyone tell me this movie was only mediocre? Could've saved myself an hour. And another thing, I wasn't sure whether this movie was supposed to be helping the gay community in any way or merely profiteering from it. I guess more profiteering. Like he did with Borat to the Middle East. But at least Borat was really funny. Most of the funny parts here were in the commercials. That and the bit where he starts giving all those celebrities more Germanic sounding names like "Bradolf Pittler."
Stuart B

August 12, 2010
Sick, stupid and so funny it will kill you!
Spencer S

November 28, 2009
Not as amazing as Borat's release, but it has several good ole' fashioned laughs.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 13, 2010
Even with the fact that its basically, Borat, Bruno has terrific moments of laugh out loud comedy. I liked it, and what I loved about Sasha Baron Cohen is his brand of comedy exposes the ignorance of important issues. With Bruno it's the issue of how people are discriminating against people that are homosexual. Bruno is funny, but it's basically a rehash of Borat.
Jani H

February 4, 2010
"I am going to be the biggest Austrian celebrity since Hitler."

Sacha Baron Cohen's previous film, 'Borat', was one of the funniest movies back in '06. Critics and viewers liked the film and one of the reason why it was so popular was due to its offbeat humor. Conservative Americans were slaped in the face way many times and it worked brilliantly. 'Bruno' tries to copy the success of 'Borat' with an almost similar storyline, style etc, but I'm not that sure if it worked...

So what's funny about an Austrian fashion reporter that happens to be "totally" gay? Not that much. There was a couple of scenes that made me laugh but while I was watching the movie, it reminded me constantly of 'Borat' so much that it started to annoy me a little. But watching a politician, Ron Paul (former candidate for presidency) getting in a awkward situation is always worth a look. And King Osama... Works.

'Bruno' is a very uneven film that delivers some occasional laughs (Harrison Ford's "Fuck off!") but fails to gain the same success as Sacha Baron Cohen's previous works. I even enjoyed 'Ali G' more than this movie! I've never known that much about this character before and I guess this movie was made because of 'Borat's' success. Didn't work for me.