Bubble Boy Reviews

½ March 17, 2012
A silly, not very funny, and forgetable film. Rotten.
MANUGINO
½ November 3, 2008
Life is an adventure. Don't blow it.

Cool good movie! This movie was as good as it was funny, perfect balance. It's kinda short but it's enough to be a blast. The story is very good and fun and you can't help but laugh at the different parts of Bubble Boy's journey. Great family film.

On his way to save his love from marrying the wrong man, BB (Bubble Boy) encounters adventures very rare for a young man in a bubble whose system could not tolerate even one germ:

. A bus load of cult members who boot him out of their bus when he accuses them of being a cult.

. A motorcyclist ex boy friend of his mother (who is in hot pursuit) who gives him a ride.

. Joins a band of freaks on a train who he saves from a vicious dwarf.

. An East Indian ice cream vendor who gives him a ride until an unfortunate encounter with a cow.

. Mud wrestles scantily clad beauties in order to win $ 500.00 to pay Pappy, an older person, to take him to Niagra Falls in his jalopy.

BB gets a lift in an air plane (piloted by Pappy's brother, Pippy) and bails out over Niagra Falls, goes over the falls, and races to the church just in time to stop the marriage ceremony and marry his one true love after finding out his mother deceived him about his condition.
October 17, 2010
Jake Gyllenhaal as a comedic superstar. This is a really funny movie, but it's also got a really good message about living life and taking risks. While it's sort've a spoof of Boy in the Plastic Bubble, it's very much its own movie with a slightly similar concept. The nutjob characters are great, especially the freakshow carnies with mutant powers. The love story is really cute and somehow it never crosses into cheesefest territory. Actually the whole movie is always funny, but never takes anything too far which is really nice.
deano
November 30, 2006
I think this comedy film is awesome with a delightfully goofy plot.
The entire cast gives hilarious performances from Swoosie Kurtz in an outrageous psycho-mother performance. Jake Gyllenhaal is very funny as the wide-eyed innocent goes on the adventurous journey with the bubble. He's a bit like Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate at the final to stop his best friend's marriage. But I see the worst scene is the parents of the Bubble Boy threw the dwarf Dr. Phreak (played by Verne Troyer) with a baby seat out of their truck because I could see that isn't a real person, it's a dummy. WORST MISTAKE!
½ January 14, 2010
I laughed very hard! This is an awesome movie!
August 2, 2006
First of all Jake Gyllenhaal needs to bow his head in shame at this one, his only saving grace perhaps is if this was the first film he ever starred in, he is much more worthy than this film. As for the film itself I found far too many film comparisons to describe it as unusal and it is a ridiculously stupid film, that being said I watched the full film and something weirdly kept me watching.
September 22, 2009
A sweet and touching comedy with some genuine laughs in it.
September 14, 2009
Little over a year ago, on a typically hot, steamy summer day, I recall seeing the previews to what looked to be a hilarious movie called "Bubble Boy". I knew right away that whether I would see it at the theater or would wait for it on cable, that I had to see it one day in the future.
Today, I finally saw the movie. Was it worth the wait? Well, yeah, it was. Before seeing the film and having somebody tell me about actual people who've had to live inside a bubble all their lives, I never even knew that there was a such thing! I thought that it was just a unique idea for a movie.

Upon watching "Bubble Boy", it wasn't really what I was expecting it to be. It was a good movie, yes, but not what I would call 'hilarious'. It has a few parts that made me laugh out loud, but I was more compelled to see how the bubble boy himself would enjoy life outside of his house and to see if his compelling journey would yield good results in the end.

I have to say that "Bubble Boy" wasn't really disappointing in any way. It wasn't as funny as I thought it'd be, but it's still a great movie to watch from time to time. If I have any complaints, it's that 'happy, shiny' group of people that won't leave the bubble wonder alone; they get on my nerves.

If you're a fan of entertaining movies, especially ones that present a sort of realistic idea and add a little bit of fiction and comedy into the mix, give "Bubble Boy" a chance. I recommend it. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2002.
½ May 17, 2008
The one part I remember...are those kids in the bus.

Lol.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 22, 2007
one of the comedy greats. made me want to run around in a bubble
½ July 5, 2007
Its a little weird but mostly just funny.
½ May 14, 2007
Underrated comedy. A bit of a stretch at times, I consider it a movie that should be at least watched once. I liked it.
garyX
½ March 23, 2007
Yes, that is Jake Gyllenhaal in a beach ball, and he has great fun in this affectionatley daft farce, most of the laughs provided by his overly protective mother's attitude to sex...surprisingly funny!
½ March 5, 2007
This movie isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it really wasn't anything special. It was funny in parts, it served its purpose, but was pretty forgettable. I didn't even remember that Marley Shelton was in it until I saw this page.
½ March 1, 2007
This movie was pure silly fluff and I was very amused by it.
½ November 9, 2006
Cute little movie.
August 6, 2007
Awesome and funny.
May 9, 2007
A short, silly, sweet and goofy comedy, starring a young Jake Gyllenhaal adding lots of energetic charm. Far better than it has any right to be, the 85 minute running time means that neither the concept nor the flim outstays its welcome. It's no classic, but it's certainly worth a rental.
½ May 31, 2006
Early Jack Gyllenhaal as a boy who finds love in the girl next door, so decides to try and save her from her mornic boyfriend. Its screwy and hit and miss, but there is heart here and its a decent enough ride.
poote
½ June 16, 2009
I always wondered how it bounced around without breaking. Must be sealed with broken dreams.