67% The Maze Runner Sep 19

71% Dallas: Season 3
62% Under the Dome: Season 2

The Buccaneer Reviews

March 5, 2014
Widening the Screen, for the Battle of New Orleans--Engaging, Entertaining, Large-Scale Adventure; Most Colorful!!
jjnxn
jjnxn

February 13, 2014
Colorful pageant of pirate derring-do might have been technically directed by Anthony Quinn but it bares the heavy imprint of C.B. DeMille. Brynner does well as the pirate and Heston repeating his Andy Jackson from The President's Lady captures him perfectly. Inger Stevens is incredibly beautiful.
January 11, 2013
Despite its directorial shortcomings, I was glad to have seen this movie for its historical appreciation. I did not know much about the story, but enjoyed it because of its novelty. I hope they will remake it. Heston was good, as well as Brynner, but much of the dialogue/writing was contrived and weak undermining their performances. The use of sets also destroyed its credibility since you could often tell how fake they were. The film quality was also poor since this was a transition period for new film stock.
April 8, 2012
From the team that brought you "The Ten Commandments", here's proof that Age does not ruing Film.
June 14, 2007
One of my favorite films. Charlton Heston is Andrew Jackson.
moviebuff18cab
October 20, 2005
THE BUCCANEER (1958)
Brandon W.
August 12, 2010
It's not terrible I guess, Cecil B Demille throws some serious money into it to give a set and nice costumes and it's cool to see Anthony Quinn direct but you know this movie is just....ugh I don't even know. I can't even bring myself to hate it but I felt something about it and it's bastardization of American History. It's cool to see Yul Brynner and Chuck Heston on the screen together again and Heston was born to play Andrew Jackson just look at the guy... Yul Brynner's kind of cool as the Pirate Jean LaFitte who aided Jackson and his men at the battle of New Orleans but at times laughable in his french accent and too flamboyant. The story's convuluted the directing exceeds the ability of effects at the time it's very likely not historically accurate at all. God I mean who cares about the War of 1812, the events this movie depicts were a mistake anyways the war had ended news just hadn't reached New Orleans yet, it's just so...blase I can't for the life of me think why anyone would want to watch this but can't think of a good criticism either. Oh well who cares.
Ann L.
November 24, 2009
Entertaining and informative, mixing fact and fiction, this historical drama loosely depicts the events surrounding the Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812. I came away with a fuller understanding of the underlying conflicts and clashes which existed between the French pirate Jean LaFitte and prominent locals under Andrew Jackson?s leadership that placed at great risk any favorable outcome for America and her allies. Studio re-enactment of the major front-line engagement against the British forces features special effects a la 1950?s staging that lend a realistic flavor to the action; ditto, the period-style military dress, costumes, and armaments, along with elaborate sets and scenery of Lafitte?s duty-free marketplace in the Louisiana Bayou; the pirate?s lair at Barretaria; the governor?s mansion; the New Orleans wharf; several wide-shots of sea-faring vessels both moored in safe harbor and involved in high-seas skirmishes. Decent performances all around, although I didn?t care for Inger Stevens in the role of the governor?s daughter.
Yelverton
November 13, 2009
One of my favorite films. Charlton Heston is Andrew Jackson.
anumba1thaduke
March 31, 2009
This was a pretty good flick! Yes I get my AMC on from time to time!
jazza923
January 3, 2009
The lavish production is a plus, and in spite of the big budget, the art direction and costumes are not very convincing and it lacks period flavor. Too many slow patches, a but of trimming would have helped. But it is entertaining in a Hollywood sort of way.
drwho9
December 18, 2008
Bit of an overblown costune drama, brenner wears a wig. I believe this was produced by Cecille B. Demille (YES, that one) who made th eoriginal version. Heston plays another important historical figure as always.
IlSanto
December 12, 2008
Hollywood shows its usual disrespect for history in this nugget from the (g)olden days of cinema. I shan't write too much about the topic of history distortion since I fear I will bore you with my rants. So instead I will say this; most of the story is an outright lie, but that doesn't matter, it is a good story, though simplistic, and at times quite engaging. It can be uneven however, pretentious even in its aspirations to entertain. This gives the impression that a child and a master painter have been at work at the same canvas. If you can endure this; by all means see it. If you do however, it may be wise also to read a book or two about the battle of New Orleans, lest you fill your head with nonsense.
August 27, 2008
pretty good historical drama
Valerie G

September 6, 2007
Charles Boyer is like 100 years old is this movie, but he's still got it! ;)
exnavykds
exnavykds

September 1, 2007
This is one of those "I-wish-they'd-realease-it-on-DVD" films that I'd buy in a heart beat. Yul Brynner heads an outstanding cast that includes memorable performances from Charles Boyer and Charlton Heston.
JustaOldRebel
August 5, 2007
If it's on DVD, where at? not in the USA
captainmorgan4
July 27, 2007
This wasn't a great pirate movie but it was ok. Not much swashbuckling as we've seen since (and before), probably since it is based on a true story and the producers were trying to keep it real.
ShawnyWind
July 4, 2007
jaynyca1
June 5, 2007
Hmmm, an action adventure pirate movie set during the war with the British of 1812 with Charlton Heston, Yul Brynner and Charles Boyer, hmmm, I'm there!. . .