—— The Identical Sep 05

Buffalo '66 Reviews

garyX
garyX

October 21, 2006
A small-time waster fresh out of prison kidnaps a girl and forces her to pretend to be his wife in an attempt to fool his dysfunctional parents into believing he's living the good life. Buffalo '66 is trying oh-so-hard for "indie chic". Writer-director Vincent Gallo essentially presents us with a love story for emotional retards, as his "hero" Billy has clearly been emotionally scarred by his upbringing at the hands of his Denver Broncos obsessed mother and self absorbed, emotionally distant father. It's a nice idea and I'm sure female fashionistas who fancy themselves as preferring "troubled" and "complex" men (as long as they dress like rock stars and have perfect bone structure, of course...) to jock types think it's the best thing since sliced bread. The biggest problem is with Gallo himself; he is clearly such a self obsessed narcissist that instead of a traumatized, insecure victim, he comes across as an obnoxious, arrogant asshole and as such it seems deeply unlikely that such an appealing creature as Christina Ricci would have anything to do with him. It has some nice visual touches and I certainly warmed to the film more and more as it went, but in the end it all seems just a little too pretentious and a little too unconvincing to be the work of genius that Gallo himself clearly thinks it is.
Coxxie M

January 1, 2009
I have been watching this one nonstop for a year and am still unable to write a review. I cannot say anything about this movie, it is impossible to translate my feelings into words and then decide which of those words i would use and which i am too embarassed to use, because i am in love with this movie. I am wholly, madly, truly in love with everything that this movie is.

Generally, i dont relate to characters in movies. it just doesnt happen because i am a weird, skinny, nervous asshole with just a small branch of autism. sound familiar? it does if youve seen Buffalo '66. I honestly DO-NOT-CARE if anyone else sees this. this was made to help me through my miserable, sad life. God first made Vincent Gallo, then Vincent's parents fucked him up, then he moved to New York and evolved into the person he is, then made a movie about it, just so i would not kill myself after i graduated highschool.

No man is an island.
Eric S

January 21, 2010
First time director Vincent Gallo delivers an imaginative, comical tale of a social misfit who gets out of prison after a five year sentence, only to go home to yet another prison overseen by his barely socialized parents portrayed by Anjelica Huston and Ben Gazzara. Gallo plays Billy Brown who spends the first part of the film in desperate search of a bathroom in dingy, cold Buffalo, and eventually wanders into a tap dance studio to relieve himself. He ends up kidnapping a young woman named Layla(Christina Ricci) from her tap class to use as the right girl to show off to his twisted mother and father who may or may not be there or care much for their troubled son.
This film is a bit difficult to summarize in a brief review as there is a lot going on between Billy and his parents, Layla and her parents, Billy's odd friends who give clues as to how he could wind up in prison with their misplaced sense of being and distorted portrayals that aren't so clearly defined, and Billy's relationship with all of the aforementioned.
Anthony L

September 7, 2009
Vincent Gallo at his very best, this is his masterpiece. His acting and direction are uniquely brilliant as our the excellent cameos and performances throughout. Unfortunately this film still resides in the cult status wilderness, which is very unfair.
Lady D

November 22, 2006
Quite slow moving at times, but a very unique and original storyline with a lot of character. I am very impressed with the performance from Vincent Gallo in this film, who incidentally Directed and wrote this too. Christina Ricci was also great in this film.

A progressive tale, which draws you in and constantly challenges your view on the situation throughout.

Intriguing and enjoyable, a great Indie Flick.
Jason S

February 26, 2009
Weird. It's easy to get a little lost in this one. It's total indie flick and tries to be nothing more. Not for everyone.
Keysha H

September 3, 2007
Wonderful effort from Vincent Gallow. The humor is painful but very statisfying.
puffchunk
puffchunk

January 25, 2007
"We're the couple that doesn't touch each other" Vincent Gallo is a freak, and he used his freakness to get a great movie out.
Michael G

October 31, 2006
I love it, but then again I'm from Buffalo. I think you have to be from Buffalo to get it.
Kevin M

February 7, 2012
Vincent Gallow directs, writes and stars. Without him, there is no Buffalo '66. I thought Gallow's acting was perfect for the role, and the role is quite an interesting one. He has a very specific personality. I guess you could call him a narcissist. While it's an excellent movie, it's not perfect. His acting companion in the film, Christina Ricci, has some odd lines. I thought it was weird how she fell so quickly for a guy who kidnapped her. I also thought there were some really funny parts. Gallo asks Ricci to hold him, and when she does, he yells "Don't touch me!" I loved the ending too. It teaches you to always appreciate and take an opportunity that could lead to happiness. The ending reminded me of Garden State, one of my favorite movies. Buffalo '66 is a fascinating character study with great acting, directing, and writing.
John B

October 28, 2007
This is such a bizarre film that I absolutely adore it. I don't think that we get to see Vincent Gallo enough on the screen.
Justin F

June 4, 2013
Ill openly admit on here to having an unhealthy fixation with Christina Ricci (something that ill deny in a court of law though) and this is probably responsible for the problem that I had with this film. I understand that there was an element of Stockholm Syndrome going on here and I that you have to detach from reality in some ways when watching a film but throughout the entire story I found myself saying (and at times out loud) Why would someone like her ever be interested in this dude (also see Lost In Translation)?

Billy Brown has just been released from prison and he arranges to visit his parents who he hasnt told of his stint at the pleasure of the state. He has also told them that he is married and very successful. Upon which he kidnaps literaly the first woman to walk by in Layla (played by Ricci)) and orders her to drive to his parents and that she must pose as his wife, or else. There are multiple opportunities throughout for her to escape but for some unfathomable reason she doesnt? When they meet the parents there are glaringly obvious issues. The parents are just not interested in him and Mum is more interested in the Buffalo Bills footie team (hence the title) and the Dad is more interested in Laylas breasts and spends the entire drooling over them and using every opportunity to touch her in an entirely inappropriate way. He is only human after all and I understand these feelings entirely and this is possibly influenced the fact that Layla wears a dress throughout with (very obviously) no underwear that leaves very little to the imagination? It transpires that Billy is a very mixed up individual in all likelihood due to a combination of deeply unsuitable parents and severe emotional issues with the opposite sex that goes back to school and a disturbing crush on a classmate at school (see my earlier references to Ricci). He has also been doing time as a result of a gambling debt for a game in which the Bills kicker missed a field goal in the final moments and Billy is convinced this was a fix and is hellbent on revenge.

My problem throughout was that whilst I understood Billys issues, other than an arguably a nice bum he had no redeeming features whatsoever. He was mean and self centered yet somehow Layla warms to this and I couldnt understand why? However, not enough is known or ever learnt about Layla and had we known this it may had been easier to understand her train of thought? Maybe thats the point, in that process of love is not rational and we are destined to fall for the first mentalist that kidnaps us and takes us against our will? In the films defence, towards the end the film does take a turn for the better and you do end up caring a little more for the both of them but not enough to rescue it from its muddled beginnings.

Im now off to a padded cell and yet another night of heavy sedation whilst I contemplate Ricci in that dress and reflect on my wrongdoings and the injustice of that restraining order!!
Mike T

September 3, 2006
This is a movie that breaks so many rules, its reactions are naturally divisive. By asking his audience to follow a character who isn't easy to like or even tolerate, Gallo is doing a brave thing. Photographically speaking, the unconventional approach to the material will turn off traditional cinema purists too. On the other hand, I love this story, and I love this movie. I love the way the character arc doesn't plot out neatly, I love the bizarre composition and editing. Gallo's performance, both in front of and behind the camera, make this an essential indie classic.
Adam M

June 24, 2008
Great independant drama with Vincent Gallo and Cristina Ricci. A man who has just got out of jail needs to convince his parents that he has been actually having a great life since he's been away from home so kidknaps a young woman to pretend to be his wife. Gallo's character is a complete asshole at times and when he kidknaps Ricci's character you don't know what he's going to do to her but as the film goes on we see why he's become so resentful over the years and the girl seems to take to her role as wife and eventually teaches Gallo's character about friendship, redemption and even love. Great performances from Vincent Gallo and Christina Ricci. Especially the talented Gallo who also wrote the script and provided the score for the film.
KevinTheMovieManiac
KevinTheMovieManiac

November 17, 2008
Review coming soon.
Robert F

March 30, 2009
An eccentric little road movie that never really leaves home.
Anthony V

May 21, 2007
Does have its moments.
rodjeckrich
February 26, 2013
Buffalo 66 makes Vincent Gallo cool in my book. It features a humor and disconnection that is rarely in other movies. The whole cast is awesome in this. Back when Christina Ricci was hotter than sin. Wha happened? Gallo's pathetic character is great as is his family dynamic. Great soundtrack and great acting. My favorite sequence is the phenomenal scene with Gallo going into the strip club with Heart of the Sunrise by Yes playing. Absolutelty cool.
August 3, 2007
This is truly a touching, brilliant film! It's still very indie, so not for everyone, but it touches me in a deep way. Vincent Gallo does a superb job of creating a character who has lived a life without love, even from his parents. Through unusual circumstances he finds someone who truly cares about him for who he is. My biggest complaint is that the climax has some graphic imagery, but it's completely pivotal to the plot, so can not be forwarded past. I feel that ruined an otherwise perfect film.
HeroPK
July 14, 2011
I though I would like it more than I did. While a little ground breaking at the time, it just feels like a movie that I'm indifferent about now.