70% The Equalizer Sep 26

62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reviews

Edward B

May 24, 2014
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is just the worst. Some thought has gone into overthrowing horror movie cliches, but the film frequently crosses the line from braindead fun to just plain braindead. The acting is horrendous, the dialogue awkward, and I'm not even going to mention the lazy action choreography. The only good thing about BtVS is that it paved the way for the phenomenal TV show. But that doesn't mean you should watch the movie.
Nicki M

November 21, 2007
Have upped my original rating a star. This was actually a bad movie, but it is so kitschy and 90's I found I really quite enjoyed seeing it again.
It is, of course, a silly little movie and best treated as nothing to do with the excellent tv series. Good fun, though.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 9, 2011
Buffy the Vampire Slayer is an average horror comedy that is purely designed to be fun and entertaining. Though flawed, and not perfect, the film manages to be quite amusing. However the film is no where close to the TV series, which was darker, better executed and acted. Not saying that this film is bad, but this film has a lot of room for improvement. There are plenty of comedic moments here and there, and the cast are good, but not great. As far as a horror comedy is concerned, Buffy the Vampire Slayer works well enough to entertain, but leaves a lot to be desired. The film is lots of fun, and manages to be effective at being a good vampire flick; however the film is not as memorable as say, The Lost Boys or Fright Night. For what it is, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a cool, little gem of a film, with nothing that's ever spectacular. But I will say this; this is definitely not a bad film. The film can easily be seen as a guilty pleasure, as it's not perfect, but it does manage to be amusing. I thought that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a good film, nothing exceptionally great. In the end, this is a silly horror comedy that is fun, despite the fact that it's never anything remarkable. Buffy the Vampire Slayer is an entertaining but flawed film, and it's not as bad as everyone says it is. If you enjoy a mindless vampire comedy, this is a film to check out.
Phil H

July 21, 2011
Now a very stereotypical vampire film with all the cliches and predictable stuff you can imagine which now is really quite lame to watch even if you look past the cute retro appeal.

The effects and makeup are very basic much like the acting but at the end of the day this was a film for teenage girls to swoon over Luke Perry hehe Teenage boys had Swanson whilst an air of class was attemped with the inclusion of Hauer and Sutherland, Hauer looking your typical classic Dracula in tucks, flowing cape with slick back hair and Sutherland your typical Sherlock Holmes clothed Van Helsing type.

If you look closer there is actually quite a strong cast in there, at the time of course they were all unknowns. Its all silly childish stuff as it was meant to be but very dated now and pretty crappy.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
One of my favourite teen movies of the 90s! This movie was better than the show for me, it's fun, humorous, exciting, and over the top. Plus, it's got Donald Sutherland, Paul Reubens, and David Arquette together in a movie! This movie helps when I'm feeling blue. It's not a serious or scary vampire movie, it's just entertaining and I highly recommend it.
Spencer S

August 4, 2010
I feel sorry for Joss Whedon. They took his script and manipulated it to be some Clueless vampire slayer movie. The show, completely different, holds the true essence of Buffy.
Gregory D

June 23, 2010
I liked the TV series more than the original film. Those words just feel weird coming out of my mouth... (cuz usually its the other way around)
erika250
erika250

May 27, 2010
the film was just lame.
MeetMeinMontauk
MeetMeinMontauk

May 12, 2010
On the one hand, I have seen all 7 seasons of Buffy the TV show. But this did start it all. So I DID like the vampire appearance changes in the TV show, but I actually really liked this and I'm glad they developed the TV show from it. Luke Perry was a few years before my time and damn, I do see what the fuss was about...
Still, it's your basic campy 80s teen video (yes, technically it was made in 1992, but the 80s is so, so present in it). Though, it weirds me out Paul Reubens is a vampire...
Red L

September 22, 2009
I saw this movie 17 years after it was released. Even after seeing a few of the Buffy TV shows. Perhaps I was expecting too much for the first movie of the Buffy genre. I didn't like it. Too simplistic. Stick to the TV series, and skip this movie.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

April 26, 2009
In my opinion this movie was crap.. And I must disagree with with "drblood' when he said that Kristy is better looking than Sarah Michelle Gellar.. I think not.. But I do agree as far as the show being absolutely better then this movie.. The vampires were so obviously fake.. Of course in all reallity they are but its called make-believe.. So make us believe they are real.. They failed awfully at this movie... Maybe they should remake all the crappy movies from the past and make them good instead of remaking all the classics.. It sure would be a an upgrade for this movie..
Bobby H

January 21, 2009
I don't know how anyone can really be a fan of "Comedy Horror" as the concept itself is honestly just retarded.
I dont know if the movie suffers from that or the early 90's plague of bad jokes, bad fashion, and bad acting.

It's obviously completley hollywood as no one would find a laughing matter surrounding vampires taking over the city, but whatever.

Luke Perry and Donald Sutherland are your better actors in the film. Kristy Swanson fails at even being close to a good actor. To me the entire film was just silly, unbelievable, not funny, and not scary. Which I think is all the reasons it was supposed to be made for?

However there were a few selected scenes that focused on the slayers struggle with life and destiny, in which is where the film get's my few stars.

I don't really reccommend this movie to anyone inless you are bored and wanting to watch something that escapes you from all seriousness in reality that our world has to offer.
Dr Blood

June 22, 2007
Not at all as good as the TV series though Kristy Swanson is much better looking than the Slayer we all know.
Everything in this was an uneven mess and it's mainly because of a terrible script. I am tempted to say that it is also because all the actors were too old for their parts as well.
Rutger Hauer was completely miscast as the head vampire and probably gives the worst performance of his life as a result.
Paul Reubens is frankly just an embarassment anyway and just makes you want to cringe even if he has the only truly memorable role in the whole thing with his overexaggerated death scene.
Nani V

July 31, 2007
Good movie, back in the day.
Dean L

July 18, 2007
Oh yeah...classic. Cheerleader turned butt-kicker. Apply the lipstick and slay the undead. It rocks. How are ya' Pee-Wee? Paul Ruebens was really fun to watch as well. Defnitely worth a view.
Dean !

June 15, 2007
An ok comedy action film which sparked one of my favourite TV series. They should have done an update with the cast from the TV show. Very similar to the first series of the show.
Daniel P

May 8, 2007
Surprisingly clever, and Luke Perry - surprise! - can act after all.
Kylie B

April 2, 2007
Funny, but no where near as good as the series. The script was apparantly watered down from the original, and that shows.
garyX
garyX

March 9, 2007
The studio clearly took control away from Joss Whedon and created a miserably half-arsed, totally misjudged facsimile of a great idea, typical of a Hollywood remake (before the original even had a chance to be made.) I'm a huge fan of the TV series but this is dismal stuff.
Drew S

March 5, 2007
Total guilty pleasure movie here. I think it strikes a surprisingly strong balance between dark comedy and vampire action time, even though the second half takes forever to get to the point.

For all intents and purposes, it's critically underrated.