Buffy the Vampire Slayer Reviews

½ June 8, 2015
Not a bad comedy, but this film in no way indicates what a great show the spin off TV series would become. Joss Whedon wrote the film's script, though disowned the end result after many changes were made, mostly lightening up his much darker vision, but he brought his vision to television with wild success and ended up making one of the greatest TV series of all time. There are certainly elements in this film that would later be a part of the TV series, but overall this film is a pretty lightweight, slapsticky comedy. Kristi Swanson helps the film a great deal by being incredibly likable as Buffy (not Buffy Summers, since no last name was given in the film). It would be pretty easy for a vapid valley girl to be annoying, but like Alicia Silverstone in "Clueless," Swanson does a fine job of making the audience want to root for this character. But on the downside, most of the characters are paper thin, with no real depth and the comedy is only sporadically funny. The dialogue did not seem nearly as clever as it did in the TV series. It's somewhat unfair to constantly compare this film to the TV series, but it's impossible to separate the two. The film is filled with solid actors (Donald Sutherland, Paul Reubens, Rutger Hauer,, Hilary Swank, David Arquette, Stephen Root, and Candy Clark), though none of them really do much that's of interest outside of an over the top vampire performance by Reubens. In uncredited appearances, Ben Affleck is apparently in the film as "Basketball Player #10" as are Alexis Arquette as Vampire DJ and Seth Green as a Vampire.
May 27, 2015
It's amazing how something so terrible lead to a fantastic tv show. The movie gets one star for the laughs from seeing some of decent actors in ridiculous roles.
½ September 18, 2013
Why did I wait so long to see this? Probably so I could re-appreciate the 90's long after they ended. "Kill him a lot"
½ March 24, 2015
How the hell did this spawn a hit TV show?
March 19, 2015
This brings me back to childhood. A hundred times better than TV Show.
½ June 1, 2014
Though it is not great it started a show that is. Besides it is pretty fun.
½ February 26, 2015
Provided some laughs and cute moments, though most of the vampires seemed like weak props. Vampire Pee-Wee was the highlight of this movie. Stole the show!
February 25, 2015
Funny at times, but the tv show was much better.
½ February 6, 2015
So the best part of this camp is the camp. That and seeing Hilary Swank in her first film, Ben Affleck, and David Arquette. It doesn't work with the TV series, obviously, and it is awful. But it kinda works because it is nothing but camp!
½ July 13, 2012
I've seen this film many times and enjoy it each time, even if it isn't fantastic, i enjoy the action packed scenes and cheesy costumes. A less than thrilling opening for the t.v. series.
December 4, 2014
Churchill Crescent, South Molton, EX36 4EL
½ November 11, 2014
Not a patch on the TV series although I did like Kristy Swanson's performance. The comic horror falls terribly flat.
October 25, 2014
Pretty cheesy, but it has a couple moments. Amazing how dated the film is, though only from 1992. Early appearances from Hilary Swank and Ben Affleck. Foe fans only.
May 24, 2014
It's amazing how we now have two interpretations of the same material and can look back at how phenomenal the TV show and awful the movie still are. BtVS the film covers the same material as the show about a popular, superficial cheerleader who is chosen to defend the world against vampires. But its attempts at tongue in cheek humour are way too forced. The vampires' make up and costumes are cringe-worthy bad. Even the sound is terrible as some scenes have a noticeable echo in the dialogue despite the characters being in a car with the windows rolled up. No actor seems connected to the material. It was clearly a paycheck for Donald Sutherland and Luke Perry where Kristy Swanson and her co-stars seem happy that they're in a movie. The themes of an ordinary girl changing under extraordinary circumstances or the metaphor of the vampires as symbolic of teenage anxieties are there but left unexplored. There is nothing good about the BtVS film and anyone curious about it should stay far away less it taint their perception of the TV series.
September 12, 2014
40%
Although charming and campy as a product of its time, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is weakly scripted and loosely shot.
February 12, 2010
(First viewing - In my early twenties)
June 2, 2007
The predecessor to the incredible television series is mainly for (unintended) laughs.
July 15, 2007
I love anything and everything about Buffy and since this is the film that sparked the TV show, I'll take it!
July 11, 2014
This movie is o.k. it could have been a really good movie but is dragged down by many problems. The pacing is off, the scenes drag on for too long. The lack of a score makes the movie feel unfinished, the lack of continuity with the show makes it feel pointless to any fan of the show and make you ask "why am I watching this?" Stick to the show, skip this movie If you really wanna check out the prequel to the show try the comics.
August 12, 2007
The show is much better. I like the movie but Joss could have done much better if he was allowed to control the movie like he did the show.