Bugmaster - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bugmaster Reviews

September 4, 2007
A science fiction film that will probably not be what you are expecting. This isn't your typical Japanese sci-fi/fantasy film. No action and wacky characters. This isn't a film for the really young ones. Nonetheless, there is more to this movie than meets the eye.This film moves really slowly. Not only that, but it is over the 2 hour mark. The beginning of this film will seem like it is going nowhere, but if you can follow what is going on and stick with it, the story is actually quite interesting. It is one of those movies where things from the beginning, that may be a little confusing, should make sense the further you go. As I just mentioned, you really do need to pay attention to this film, even with the slow pace, or you will get lost.This film doesn't use a whole lot of CG, but it really is a big part of the story. The good thing about it is that it is nicely done. The "writing sequence" in the middle is pretty spectacular. Honestly, this film got me thinking of The Last Mimzy. Slow, but an interesting story with some outstanding CG.For the most part, the acting is good, although the characters are quite bland. Popular faces play the bulk of the main characters, including Jo Odagiri, Yu Aoi, and Makiko Esumi. I, myself, am happy to see a short part from one of my favorites, Hideo Sakaki.This may not be the greatest sci-fi/fantasy movie ever made, but if you are willing to put up with a snail-paced film with an interesting story, this should be on your "want to see" list.
½ January 28, 2008
A pretty interesting world and story about spirits and forces of nature. It's a little slow paced, but I didn't mind at all. The acting is good, and the scenery is very beautiful. I'd recommend this if you like Japanese sci-fi and fantasy films.
September 1, 2014
I loved it because I love Odagiri Jo, and seeing the anime come to life. However, the time line was confusing - they spliced past scenes with current day ones. Over all, good.
December 3, 2011
Seems really interesting!
February 2, 2011
I really liked this movie but it could have used some more explanation for me. It started strong but seems to fall flat near the end. The acting was excellent as well as the special effects. I wish it was more true to the anime (ex: Rainbowman was more obsessed in the anime.) I think it deserves a sequel. Recommended for people who like supernatural stuff.
August 12, 2010
I'm going to say as little as possible about the live adaptation of Mushishi. If you are a die-hard fan of the Manga or Anime series, then you should love this film regardless. Are there a few problems with it? Yes. Are there enough problems wrong with it, to give it a bad review? No, not at all. If you have no idea what Mushishi is, then you might be a tad lost or you might not even care for the film. It does tend to jump a bit, and it is unclear in several parts for those who are unfamiliar with Mushishi. All in all the film is a success. The acting is great, the visuals are beautiful, and it is overall very entertaining, though it does drag here and there. Like I said, if you love the Manga and the Anime series, then you should love this film, as I did.
January 22, 2010
Mushishi,hushly work via the voice of nature visualize.
Conjuring with modern sense could also have envisage the interpretness of rare outdated/ou-tway constantly fancy.While the elegant meet the nausea in otherworldly reality.
May 5, 2007
Am I spotting a trend in Japanese Filmmaking? Plethora of CG used in this fantasy about a curer of disease caused by bugs (much like the bugs in Miyazaki Hayao animation).

Film was structured carefully to let the three stories intertwine and cross paths to maximize the end effect. The use of journey in silence is a reflection of the spirits each of us posseses, and is often used on the travels of the main character. His silence leads to a stronger spirit. However, this theme could have been developed more fully. One can clearly feel this effect as the main character leaves his adopted mother and walks off into the woods--the scene is filled with the sound of cicadas, and as he dissappears into the woods, the sound grows louder.

The film, instead, focused on the ying and yang. The positive and negative cancelling each other out. There are many textual reference to co-existance in the cycle of life. Most poignantly, it would be the many bugs that appear in the film. They are all a set of two--cancelling each other out, and only able to live when the other exists. Too bad the film doesn't add much more to the philosophical dimension to this theme, too.

Overall, the story had many themes that could have been exposed with more attention (such as the use of harsher light to reflect the yin/yang situation). The film also involved a good range of dextere cast however poor the character introduction methods. Apart from the main character, it was hard to guage the importance of each character as they seemed to be treated equally on screen, but held minimal significance to the main storyline. The story is very top heavy because it feels the need to explain the type of work a bugman is, but this takes away from the main plot that unravels in the second half where the aforementioned themes were laid out.

The locations were great, and the costumes were exactly the kind of simplicity required in such a production. The acting was also less theatrical than most other Japanese films, and did not take away from the filmwatching experience.

May 8, 2007