20% Transcendence Apr 18

A Bug's Life Reviews

michael e.
michael e.

December 29, 2010
for one of the earliest Pixar films it really doesn't show because the art is still fantastic, and the drama and comedy of this movie was fantastic and as a little kid this was my favorite movie its definitely not anymore but it still is fun to watch
KJ P

January 14, 2010
It may not be the best Pixar film out there, without the feel-good story that most of the films in the Disney/Pixar universe have, but "A Bug's Life" is a real treat visually and character-wise. It is a very simple story about how one ant, mistreated and misunderstood, becomes the life of his colony, when a bunch of mistakes take him on an adventure to find Warrior bugs, in order to stop an infestation of Grasshoppers on their island. It is basic, and kind of ridiculous, but the heart is all there and you can feel for the characters by the end. I highly enjoy this film and I will continue watching it for years to come.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 6, 2011
A Bug's Life is a fantastic piece of animation and storytelling, and is just pure imagination for any kid. Pixar has lived up to the fantastic Toy Story with their second film and it truly lives up to the expectations. I remember when I was a kid and I watched this film non-stop, I mean its hilarious, intense, and overall is just great storytelling. The characters stay in you head with the variety of bugs, and each one has a different personality that the writers all creatively give. I have always loved Flik, he was hilarious when I was a kid and his laugh (the laugh of Dave Foley) always put a smile on my face. The ants represent oppression and Flik the one who wants to defend them, and this makes him quite the hero. Dave Foley, Kevin Spacey, Julia-Louise Dreyfuss, Dennis Leary, and everyone else provides their voices and perfectly fit each memorable and cool character. The animation is also still fun to this day, all the colors and environment really live up to the standards of Pixar. This had competition with the Dreamworks film Antz, and in my opinion, this film kicks Antz right in the buttocks. A Bug's Life is a childhood favorite of mine, and is one of the films that live in the hearts of hundreds of imaginative adults and kids.
Christopher H

June 13, 2011
The story is a bit formulaic but the animation is top-notch, the characters are memorable, and comedy is great. A very good sophomore effort from Pixar.
Directors Cat
Directors Cat

August 15, 2011
I'ts not Antz but its a refreshingly original Pixar production.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A cute and funny movie from Pixar. One of the ones that made them famous. If you like their work, you should see this. It's mostly a fun and entertaining movie, which is good if that's the kind of movie you want.
Sophie B

October 23, 2011
Brilliant, original, and heartwarming. Something that entertains the little ones as well as the adults. Loved it as a child and now as an adult. The characters are brilliant and unique as are the villains. Something which is rare in kids animations.
Eric A

August 9, 2011
Fun & fresh. Good kid's movie.
Alexander D

June 29, 2011
It's pretty goodâ¦
jamers2011
jamers2011

August 3, 2010
The Pixar film no one seems to remember. A Bug's Life is the second film released by Pixar Studios. It's not Pixar's greatest, but it's definitely its most underrated film. I love this film! It was one of my favorites when I was little, and everytime it's on television I try to catch a bit of it. I recommend this film!
Wildaly M

November 19, 2006
A story about ants and bugs. How cooler can you get?
Drake T

May 29, 2011
It has all the right ingredients and works on that Pixar template but it never truly grabs you on an emotional level, considering what Pixar's capable of you can't help but feel they didn't go the extra mile with this one.
Conner R

June 23, 2010
A Bug's Life, to me, is one of the greatest achievements in children's animation and an utter masterpiece. The characters and story not only work well for its targeted audience, but it's just as effective on an adult crowd; which is a pretty challenging feat. This doesn't have the cheesy humor that a lot of its kind have, nor does it try to be a tear jerker or a flashy musical. These are such interesting concepts being dealt with that they basically speak for themselves. The jokes are genuinely funny and warrented and the plot is inherently complex and rewarding no matter how many times you watch it. There's almost no need to wonder why you liked A Bug's Life as a kid because it's still just as strong today.
skactopus
skactopus

April 9, 2011
John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton team up to give the bugs life in A Bug's Life.The delightful story finds itself concluding around 90 minutes, and then some with a few manufactured outtakes during the end credits. While the main emphasis of the story focuses on ants and grasshoppers, it is the supporting bugs that give this film it's name. It just wouldn't be the same without them. The variety and likable nature of these characters are what makes this a film for all ages to enjoy.The bugs have that illustrated look which gives them that adorable spark, but the realism of the movements and characteristics of each bug show that detail is paid attention to and that they aren't put together lazily.There are a number of characters to go around and the casting of the voice work is of grade A. Dave Foley could easily be a comedic side character, but he gives the lead hero a solid voice. Hayden Panettiere's lovely voice does wonders for the voice of Dot. "Pretend it's a seed, okay?"By the sound of its title, A Bug's Life may not sound like much, but it really does offer a lot in the entertainment department. Put it on and let the food gathering commence.
Jens S

June 12, 2006
This early Pixar film is actually one of their best. Combining the plots of "The magnificent seven", Three Amigos" and "Flight of the Phoenix" the story may not be truly original, but the characters and details of the insect world have been created with so much love and care, that it's a pleasure to behold. It's hard not to fall in love with the lovely characters. The pacing is excellent, he gags work and the soundtrack is fitting to the classic Western plot. The result leaves the audience in such enthusiasm that you're tempted to clap your hands.
3niR
3niR

December 31, 2010
The misfits always come out to be the intelligent ones... I see.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

July 8, 2009
Nice story and entertaining.

On a small island surrounded by water, a colony of ants is preparing food for the arrival of a band of grasshoppers. Of the ants that are working, one of them that stands out is an industrious one named Flik. Flik is constantly inventing new things for the colony to try, but his ideas are often shouted down and shunned by the colony. The only one who seems to believe in Flik is the young Princess of the colony named Dot. Secretly, Flik is attracted to her older sister, Atta, who is next in line for the throne.

As the time for the grasshoppers to arrive approach, the colony heads down into the anthill, intent to wait for the grasshoppers to eat the offering, and leave. Unfortunately, Flik is the last one to put his items on the offering stone, and ends up causing the platform to collapse with his piece of machinery.

When the grasshoppers finally arrive and find nothing, they go down into the anthill to terrorize the ants. The leader of the grasshoppers, demands that the offering be replenished by the Fall season, and terrorizes Dot, before Flik comes forward to try and defend her. Hopper then insists that the offering be doubled, due to Flik's speaking out at him. The grasshoppers then leave, promising to return when the last leaf falls.

The colony is now in trouble, as there isn't enough food to fulfill Hopper's request and provide sustenance for the colony. Flik is brought before a tribunal in regards to his causing the trouble. As the group convenes, Flik then thinks up a new idea: if the colony could get bigger bugs, they could be instrumental in scaring off the grasshoppers from ever returning to bully the colony. The others think this is a bad idea, until Flik volunteers to look. Thinking that his search will take a long time, the council decides to accept Flik's request, figuring he'll be away from them long enough to keep from causing further trouble.

Flik sets off the next day to head for the big city, eventually finding his way into a 'bug bar,' asking around for tough 'warrior bugs.' His attention is suddenly drawn to a group of bugs in a corner, who it seems are preparing to take on a much larger bug. However, in the fight, the 'bug bar' ends up being wrecked, and Flik misses much of the fight. However, in the aftermath, Flik thinks he's found the perfect guardians to help his colony.

He pleads his case to the group, saying how he's been looking for bugs with their talent, and asking for their help regarding the incoming group of grasshoppers. The group eagerly accepts, and they head off for Ant Island.

When Flik returns, Atta and the elders are shocked that Flik actually found 'warrior bugs.' Atta is at first unsure, but one of the group named Francis (Dennis Leary), promises that they will knock the grasshoppers 'dead' when they come.

A party is then held in honor of the group, including a tribute and art showing the warriors fighting off the grasshoppers. The group then grows leary, and it is then that a black widow spider of the group named rosie reveals to Flik through whispering, that they are not warrior bugs...but a group of out-of-work circus bugs!
Movie Monster
Movie Monster

October 3, 2010
I'm probably the only one in my family who found this enjoyable. It is funny, sweet, energetic, and imaginative, but is not the best Pixar movie in my opinion. If I was stranded in house with no doors and this was the only movie available for me to watch, I wouldn't mind. A Bug's Life is fun for both kids and adults. But if the adults don't really enjoy it, I reccomend "Antz".

"Who ordered the poo-poo platter?"
Richard C

June 24, 2010
pixars worst movie and their only movie that isn't really good. B-
erika250
erika250

March 19, 2010
one of the best pixar films.