Bull Durham - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

#1 sports movie
#1 baseball movie
top 10 any movie
January 24, 2016
One of the funniest films ever made and THE greatest baseball film of all time, Bull Durham catches the spirit of the American pastime and romance in a way that is unique, novel, and interesting. Boasting strong, well-fleshed out characters played by Sarandon, Costner, and Robbins, this film delivers some of the heartiest laughs, especially for a baseball fan.
January 3, 2016
"And I believe in long, slow, deep, soft, wet kisses that last three days." ~ Crash Davis, played by Kevin Costner
December 20, 2015
One of the funniest films of all time and quite the philosophical rumination on love and baseball.
April 1, 2013
Bull Durham is a fun, mature baseball movie about an old player who is crass and sarcastic because he's past his prime and a woman who loves baseball, but loves the men who play it more.
November 7, 2015
Costner, Robbins, and Sarandon ð'?ð'?. Great old sports comedy!
½ September 11, 2012
There's a nice comprising mixture of sports and romance with sporadic comedy to seemingly balance the film's level, and those genres were well-represented by its trio cast - Kevin Costner, Susan Sarandon, and Tim Robbins - while avoiding any act of using a typical formula of clichés since it was more on spirituality between romance improving an individual in sports. A well-developed premise from that kind of working form, but there's one typicality in the romance genre's usage that's worth skipping if there's nothing worth hearing from what was written in those moments. Overall, it's a decent film in both genres. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
June 15, 2015
Okay film I guess. I like a lot of the baseball aspects of the film, but I really wish it focused less on the romance, which is pretty boring here. Susan Sarandon can get irritating at times in this film too. I know a lot of people love this film for some reason, which I don't understand. It's a decent baseball movie, but by no means would I call it a great film.
April 16, 2015
A Kevin Costner sports movie never, ever fails. I think this is the closest Costner ever gets to comedy. A Great movie, brilliantly supported by Sarandon & Robbins. It's a must watch.
April 15, 2015
Greatly acted baseball yarn about a losing team and the ways it tries to improve itself. This is more of an acting showcase here as Sarandon, Costner and Robbins are in fine form here. As for the story, well, Field Of Dreams always does it for me.
April 15, 2015
A really good period of baseball movies and this is at or near the head of that pack.
September 22, 2012
They don't get any cooler than Crash Davis. And definitely not a cure when I need to fall asleep at 1am and this comes on my TV. This movie gets better every time I see it.
½ April 6, 2015
Smart, funny, and successfully avoids cliches, Bull Durham overcomes some minor set-backs to make an entertaining baseball romantic comedy with a great performance from Tim Robbins.
½ July 4, 2012
Better than average baseball movie
August 31, 2008
There are quite a few baseball movies, but many of them cover MLB. Bull Durham takes a look at the life of 3 characters trying to make it without the glitz and glamour of MLB, in the minor League system. Kevin Costner is a wise, but aging catcher who feels he has missed his chance at life. Susan Sarandon is used to being with many men that come and go, so in the process only seeks out young players to avoid being truely hurt. Tim Robbins is a cocky brash, but lost mind with a million dollar arm. The movie brilliantly examines the relationships between these three characters and shows how they develop over the course of a baseball season. Bull Durham is an excellent slice of life film that extends beyond baseball.
August 13, 2014
Oh what a wonderful film. The film is perfect all around and deserved the plethora of praises it received. Factoring out my personal experiences and my enamorations for the game, the film captures the game perfectly even though it was through the eyes of the minor leagues and a passionate fan. In addition, the relationships intertwined fits perfectly as characters grow and flourish (amazing performances by Costner, Sarandon and Robbins)... wow.
February 25, 2015
Great all around movie and probably the best baseball movie ever made. Great acting by all, great script, great direction. Pure genius.
January 28, 2015
My Favorite Comedy Film Is 1933's Duck Soup.
½ May 18, 2014
Grade:Higher 7/10

Bull Durham is a sports film which boasts a great cast, comedy
throughout and actually some good bits of baseball. With a variety of
characters also seen in this piece, you can't help but feel good when
watching this and with Romantic themes also coming thorough, it makes
just a little bit better than it already is. Whatever sport movie fans
may think of the sport, you should enjoy this and I felt that this was
firmly a good movie.

The story is a fun film about a minor league baseball who hire a
veteran batsman and a young promising pitcher who may make it big one
day, both the characters work together well and the story always lets
the two express there polar opinions and feelings. It can be funny at
time, not really laugh out loud but it still raises some chuckles and
if anything it is very much feel good and smile like entertainment.

Kevin Costner in the main role is good and really shows his wise face
as the wise old veteran batsman Crash Davis. Susan Sarandon as the love
interest of the film Annie Savoy is good, maybe slightly crazy at times
and over the top but she is fun and makes the film much
more...passionate. Tim Robbins for me is truly a star turn as Nuke the
young pitcher as although Costner leads the film, Robbins is very good
in his young testosterone filled role, he is fun and enjoyable.

Ron Shelton writes and directs this well and really does a good job
here to create the characters on paper and bring them out well whilst
directing, shows he really had the vision and performed it out well. I
enjoyed the dialogue which really sets this film up nicely and is the
whole reason it is funny, the sport side is fun and the scenes that
actually contain Baseball are truly quite thrilling but also keeping
the comedic and romantic side within it.

It isn't always so funny and so maybe that could be a criticism but the
film is still good, could also be said that the romance side coupled
with the serious sport scenes are just too soppy, that is up to you if
you see it. Sarandon is also not at her best in this, doesn't affect
it's rating but when she is in it, I felt she can annoy at times.

Sport movie fans should like this as it contains enough sport to
actually be considered a sport film, it has the romance dabbled in so
be aware if you hate a rom com. If you want a fun comedy then this if
for you, it isn't out and out laughter as said previously but it raises
a quick smile and a laugh but can also warm the heart when it wants to.

Overall I give this a higher 7/10, it is a Firmly Good movie, not near being
Very Good but breaks away from just being KIND of Good. With this you
should watch it with a little warm heart going into it and it will be
hugely enjoyable, If it doesn't make you laugh then look to the romance
part as it really can be fun and hugely entertaining.
January 13, 2015
A sports classic with a terrific cast and a fun story.