Bully

Bully

85%

Critic Review - Chicago Reader

Hirsch seldom gets face time with any bullies or their parents, and he tends to ignore the complicated social and psychological patterns that feed the problem.

April 13, 2012 Full Review Source: Chicago Reader | Comments (9)
Chicago Reader
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Kevin L.

Kevin Leon

do you actually think they (bullies and even parents) are willing to show their faces on camera and discuss how their child ruined someone else's child??

Apr 15 - 06:02 PM

CreedsDelight

Matt Goodman

Apr 19 - 12:55 PM

Amber Ray

Amber Ray

Apr 24 - 08:34 PM

Danny Dexter

Danny Dexter

couldn't agree with u more

Apr 28 - 04:40 PM

Colin Schlank

Colin Schlank

I think this critic is right. I wouldn't say it was a bad movie, but it focused on 5 stories all of which projected the exact point. This issue is very complicated and reflects many larger psychological and societal issues, which the movie failed to address. I don't think they could have gotten bullies/bullies parents to speak, but looking at other ideas/theories that relate to bullying I feel would have made this movie's message stronger.

Apr 19 - 06:03 PM

Amber Ray

Amber Ray

I completely agree with you.

Apr 24 - 08:31 PM

Harriet Huestis

Harriet Huestis

Sorry but I do not understand why people feel it is necessary to show the pov of the bullies and by not showing it the film is somehow diminished. It is a film showing the suffering of the victims and their families. It was very moving and disturbing and made me feel uncomfortable and rightly so. Jones assertion that Hirsch ignored the complicated social and psychological patterns that feed the problem is wrong. He showed Alex's family's complicity in his abuse. Almost every scene depicted complex social interactions that feed bullying, especially any scene with an adult present.

May 13 - 09:49 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

It was just kind of a bummer that the big message is 'BULLYING IS BAD!". yes, we know. So what's the solution?

There isn't one. This is just to bring "awarness" pffft.

Oct 3 - 10:37 AM