• Bulworth

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Bulworth Reviews

Anthony L

November 5, 2013
I missed this in the cinema and have wanted to see it ever since. Suspicions that it wasn't very good appeared when I saw it was showing on free channel Movie Mix - the home of bad movies. Intelligent and witty satire based comedy aimed at modern politics - check! Ruining every intelligent element by telling the same joke over and over again even though it wasn't very funny the first time - check! Accidentally stereotyping black people in a negative way even though it is supposed to be standing up for said black people - check! This film made me cringe like no other. I think people have rated this highly based on what it could have been rather than what it is. The message is lost in a horrible lead performance, racist stereotyping and bad writing. The bad directing, editing and total lack of continuity doesn't help much either. This my friends, is not satire!
Thomas J

November 29, 2010
A decent social/political satire.
Jason R

September 13, 2010
One of my all time favorite movies ever. Engaging characters, great humor, and poignant political satire (if you listening closely to Warren Beatty's raps).
Daniel J D

January 21, 2008
Simultaneously very silly and poignant. It's like Chris Rock or Robin Williams trying to make a satirical, humorous political film, only it came out much sooner.

A great cast and crew, but it seems just a bit too stereotypical for a movie so bent on destroying stereotypes.
Michael G

October 25, 2006
Ehhh...
Aaron N

Bulworth is basically having a midlife crisis and decides to have himself assassinated. Because of this, he doesn't have to care about anything, so he starts to tell things like they are to everyone. At first it's shocking, but then people accept it and embrace. Meanwhile, Bulworth has taken a liking to black culture and channels his energy through that. The supporting cast fits well, and Warren Beatty is great. He wrote, directs, stars, and raps in this movie and it's hilarious.
Daniel P

March 11, 2013
A bit too broadly played by Warren Beatty in the main, this satire isn't massively subtle but does have - clearly - very serious points to make, with some surprising poignancy in later stages. Excellent ensemble cast.
Alec B

November 1, 2007
One of the braver comedies I have seen. It takes a lot of risks and succeeds and fails in many regards. I think Warren Beatty gives a terrific performance in this film, as does Oliver Platt as his campaign manager. There are some hilarious moments, likes the scene where Beatty tries to operate a car with hydrolics. Unfortunatley The writing flounders at times, for a movie that seems to be challengeing a lot of political norms it views many things as black and white, which is far too simplistic. But I liked the film overall esspecially the ending where two infamous photographs are recreated.
Curt C

April 21, 2006
I love the opening scene. Tons of personality, completely captivating, and it all comes from a simple presence; a politician decides to start telling the truth. The opening scene still gives me chills.
Marcus W

March 29, 2009
Great idea - politician has a nervous breakdown and starts telling the truth, which makes him popular with the voters and unpopular with everyone else. Sadly they try too hard, chuck in waaay too many subplots (him becoming "black" never really works) and push it until it collapses in on itself and at the end it fizzles out where there should be a big bang. Platt is completely brilliant though. Man Of The Year with Robin Williams did a better job.
jimbotender
jimbotender

November 6, 2008
What a thrilling...bore...Ha,it could've been so much better.The ludicrous policy of the constitutional personas in and out of the socialite isn't Beatty's forte.Come to think of it he strides his way alongside those people he attempts to mock and he marginally declines to denude them.Stripping your glove doesn't make you Rita Haywarth...
Nate H

November 15, 2006
Awkward. Not really funny, totally unsubtle and the idea of Warren Beatty rapping is distracting outlandish. I'm pretty sure he only made this movie to hook up with Halle Berry.
December 21, 2011
Some rip-roar hilarious events happen to Senator Bulworth days before his upcoming election, after he signs a mysterious weekend deal with a contract killer to bump someone off.
I wouldn't divulge who it is, why he does it or what happens after.

There are a hundred things in the movie we wouldn't really agree with.
Bulworth and its writers seem to tell us to "fuck off" whenever we get that feeling. This is a movie with scant respect for what we want it to be. You just sit there and watch what we show you and shut your mouth, the movie tells us.
It is very funny. Not smile, smile funny, but laugh out loud funny and roll on the floor funny.

As impossible as it might seem, Bulworth seems to say some very serious things at times from the podium and it gets even funnier then. Warren Beatty & Oliver Platt need special mentions. Let me check whether anyone picked an award for this film. Probably No. Like I said, they wouldn't give a shit anyways.

My only request to thee is this.
Thou shall not check imdb\wikipedia for the plot right away. Instead download the DVDRIP or rent the DVD. Pick an evening when you aren't exactly feeling happy. Ideally one of those evenings with a slight whiff of existential angst. Put it on and laugh.

4 stars!
Please let me know if you did see it.
kenscheck
September 21, 2011
This is a great picture. Warren Beatty is great as a politician breaking down in the midst of his campaign. He hires a hit man to kill him, and then breaks down further to the point of rapping his campaign speeches...Needless to say its weird, but also hilarious, smart, and dramatic.
July 6, 2008
The most funniest film about politics in some time. A great cast and outrageous story that will offend some and make others laugh with delight. Whether you are into politics or not, this movie will make you laugh and (most of all) think. A must see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MetalMario2
June 20, 2008
Two points that are a true testament to the arrogance of Warren Beatty:

1. He thought dressing like a "gangsta" and rapping about liberal politics for two hours would thrill moviegoers.

2. He thought it would turn moviegoers into Democrats.

I guess he really is "so vain" after all.
Suela
December 17, 2008
You have to see it, to get. There is serious political satire here and for what it's worth, that aspect works.
November 20, 2008
A suicidally disillusioned liberal politician puts a contract out on himself and takes the opportunity to be bluntly honest with his voters by affecting the rhythms and speech of hip-hop music and cul...( read more read more... )ture.
Watch Bulworth Online for Free at Flixster!
August 30, 2008
It's been a long time since I've seen this, but I do remember that I enjoyed it. My only criticism is that it is one of many films Mr. Beatty both directed and starred in that I think would have been better if he'd stayed behind the lens. He is a much better director.
firstamb
August 9, 2008
Warrne Beaty directs a pretentious political movie set during the Clinton administration, making it incredibly dated today. Although it has some clever idea and slights against liberals and the sucicidally crazy, it isn't really a great movie. Much too snarky for its own good.