Buried - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Buried Reviews

½ September 21, 2010
A very intense film. A movie some one has to see to just get the feeling.
November 21, 2010
A manipulative thriller that wants to be a claustrophobic experience but has an irritatingly intrusive score and a heavy-handed direction that is so unnecessarily overstylish. Besides, Reynolds is not that good and his character acts like an imbecile during most of the film.
August 13, 2014
You know how when you're watching a film and something happens onscreen that makes you think, "hey, it wouldn't happen like that in real life ... that's bogus!" which kind''ve ruins the whole suspension of belief thing?
This is not that film.
With a nod to the master, Alfred Hitchcock, we are offered several opportunities wherewith the movies have trained us to expect a certain unbelievable outcome ... and then quietly denied that expectation. Its all very refreshing, in a mesmerizing, hands-around-your-throat sort of way, as a man awakens buried in a coffin and, with his air diminishing, works to escape. Ryan Reynolds does well portraying nervous anxiety.
Really very good.
TheDudeLebowski65
April 26, 2014
Ryan Reynolds is one of those actors who is talented, but he needs to pick the right project for him to act. I liked his films, including Green Lantern, which I felt was underrated, Waiting and Adventureland. With Buried, he makes the finest film of his career, and he will never top it in terms of acting. The idea behind the story is simple, and it's a film that pretty much only stars Reynolds and he manages to make this film work very well. I've said it many times before, but films that use small, uncomplicated storylines are better because they leave a lot to the imagination. Buried is a terrific film, a unique thriller and one that ranks as s definite must watch. The story steadily builds and the tension unfolds throughout. This is a well crafted thriller that is sure to entertain genre fans. I really loved Reynolds' performance, and like I said is his finest to date. If you're skeptical about his work, I would recommend this film. Lately of course, Reynolds has had a string of bombs such as R.I.P.D, hopefully one day he'll make a film that stands out such as this one. Buried is a riveting piece of cinema that will keep you on the edge of your seat from the first frame right up to the unforgettable climax. The direction is terrific and while keeping the story simple, it keeps you involved and entertained and ultimately guessing what will happen next. For sheer thrills, buried succeeds and it's a film that ranks among one of the finer thrillers of the last few years. Despite the fact that Ryan Reynolds stars in this, it shouldn't take away from the enjoyment of watching the film.
½ August 5, 2010
Imagine you wake up in a coffin underground with just a lighter and a cell phone. Who do you call? How do you explain yourself? This film spreads this premise over 90 minutes, which is pushing it and has to rely on the lone actor of the film. Ryan Reynolds does a decent job but overall he can't prevent the movie from having a few lengthy parts. Of course there are also wonderfully claustrophobic and exciting sequences and overall our protagonist's choice of limited calls makes sense. Sadly, towards the end the film decides to comment on corporate greed and politics, which is a bit ridiculous. And some parts, like the solution, are just sadistic for sadism's sake. A worthy attempt that could have been much better.
January 12, 2013
It's been a long time since I have given a movie a perfect 5-star score. "Buried" without a doubt deserves it. As the credits rolled, I simply exhaled as I had been holding my breath for what seemed like the last 5 minutes of this very intense, nerve-wracking drama. I have often liked Reynold's performances in other films. This time around he shined as he had an excellent, original script to work with. What makes this movie brilliant is that it's all told from the inside of the coffin/box, so you're in for an hour and a half of an intense claustrophobic film experience like you've never imagined. I give this film props for its originality, great acting, script, its social commentary (on sensitivity, cruelty, government bureaucracy, terrorism) and for all the drama and the emotions. Just don't forget to breathe.
October 19, 2012
Finally a movie that shows Ryan Reynolds can act. Great film making -- considering the entire film happens in a box! It's worth it just to see technique.
garyX
½ September 22, 2010
A civilian contractor working in Iraq awakens to find himself trapped in a wooden coffin and buried underground. Very much the Ryan Reynolds show, Buried is set in its entirety in a wooden box with Reynolds himself being the only character to appear on screen. A bit of a "concept" film, Buried is obviously limited by its own premise; we see nothing but a man in a box being scared and desperate and talking on the phone. A lot. The film clearly hinges on Ryan's performance and he is perfectly believable in the part and its nicely shot and decently paced but like the similar 127 Hours, you cannot escape from the fact that you are just watching a bloke in a hole for 90 minutes. The attempt to spice things up featuring a serpentine intruder is just a bit daft and the "twist" at the end rather weak and unsatisfactory. In the end it's competently done but it's also extremely similar to Quentin Tarantino's CSI special which was far better. It's certainly not a complete waste of time as an interesting experiment but it's not an entirely successful one either.
½ March 26, 2011
It's very tough to keep the audience interested in a film set in a wooden box for 90mins. However this film does keep you wondering, it has tension and makes you feel you are in that box as well. It's as good as it can be really, and shows Ryan Reynolds is an underrated actor. He can do much more than goofy comedies or the usual action flick.
March 24, 2012
Even though it ends as ryan is about to die... It leaves you wanting to see that he dies, shows what humans are like. Such little space, such big drama, suspense and thrill rides. People have been discussing whether the director should have shown how paul conroy got into the coffin and maybe learn a bit more about his capture and it adds more to the film with action, there are alot of films that dont add something that could essential, sadly this is one of them... But it keeps in suspense which is a thriller film basic.
September 23, 2010
What an incredibly gripping movie. The tension is so palpable. The trait that stands out the most about this movie is how real the emotions truly are. Many movies try too hard to be depressing, tense in order to make the audience have sympathy for whatever motive; however, this movie creates true emotion that brings sympathy, pain, and hope. Not many movies do that correctly but "Buried" does. The cinematography, the camera work is absolutely brilliant even though it is within such an enclosed space. Ryan Reynolds gives his best performance. This is a must watch.
February 15, 2012
I don't get it.

I don't get why a movie should be rewarded for telling a story without actually using the visual potential of it's own medium.

I don't get how anyone can enjoy spending over an hour watching Ryan Reynolds scream, cry and incompetently handle his situation while trying to make me feel sympathetic in every contrive manner possible (I have kids! I'm an innocent contractor! I'm getting fired right before I die! My mom doesn't remember me!)

Maybe it's a film that can only be appreciated by claustrophobics or some sort of political/social allegory for victims in Iraq but I just couldn't get "into" the box with Reynolds on any level.

Honestly, I found the whole ordeal quite funny. It's basically Ryan wiggling in a box and then dying while the audience goes "OMG WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO HIM", like watching an escape artist wiggle his way out of a straight jacket over a shark tank... except that doesn't take over an hour and probably has less political/emotional bullshit connotations.

Seems like critics will praise anything that'll try unconventional stylization or direction.
thmtsang
October 7, 2010
Buried is not for the faint hearted. Paul played by Ryan Reynolds is an American truck driver who is kidnapped and buried underground in Iraq. He has a cell phone and lighter. He has to convince the authorities to pay his ransom in 90 minutes. You can feel his anxiety, pain and despair. People won't believe him or try to help him be found. It's a really uneasy movie, which will stress you out til you are wary. If you want to be cheered up avoid this movie. He is having a terrible day, friends killed, being buried alive, his company sacking him, a snake in the coffin, a fire and a finger incident is all too much!
BG Movie Reviews
½ October 17, 2011
To sum up the entirity of the film very shortly is very easy: it's a film about a man in a box! But that doesn't really say much for the 1 hour 30 minutes or so that the film goes on for, in which so much more happens than the phrase "a man in a box" would suggest!

Buried is a film about a man who wakes up trapped inside a coffin. He has no idea how he got there or why he is there and begins to look around for any clues. He finds a lighter, a cell phone and various other things and begins to try and find out what is going on. With the phone he finds out that his wife is being held hostage and the only way he can save her is to somehow get a large amount of money to a location at a certain time or he will die buried alive.

I originally saw this film as interesting, but I was worried that a man in a box would become soon very boring and tiresome, yet somehow it didn't; the number of different things that managed to happen whilst this man was in the coffin was incredible, giving a lot of action in only one set!

With some amazing scenes, tense moments, amazing twists and an incredible ending, Buried is a film that is well worth watching and, although not terrifying, is exceptionally tense and will have you on the edge of your seat...
September 6, 2011
The challenge is daunting for both the director and our protagonist, both stuck in a coffin. The writing trades off plausibility for 90 minutes of story believable only as someone's nightmare, where everyone is unreasonable, items appear as they are needed for a narrative, and Conroy's "situation" just keeps getting worse and more rediculous. When the credits hit, I suspect our guy woke up.
blkbomb
September 5, 2011
Dan Brenner: I'm so sorry, Paul.

"Time is running out for Paul Conroy."

This movie took me completely by surprise. Yeah, I've heard countless rave reviews about how effective and intense it is for being in a box for 90 minutes. Still, it's something that you can't really take someone's word on. No matter how many great I heard this movie was; I kept coming back to the same thing. Its 90 minutes in a box with Ryan Reynolds. The guy who has starred in such awful movies as The Proposal and Just Friends. Needless to say, his performance surprised me just as the much as the movie. He gives his best performance and is finally showing signs of becoming a good to great actor and is slowly starting to do more quality films. Recently he has starred in movies like Paper Man and The Nines. Neither of which were amazing, but they do show that Reynolds does have potential.

Now, back to Buried. It's incredibly well done. For me, being claustrophobic, what Reynolds character goes through is probably the most terrifying thing I could think of. Just the thought of being buried alive makes me have to get up and walk around. The movie really does a nice job with its claustrophobic setting and manages to keep the tension at a high level the entire time. It reminds me of Hitchcock's Rear Window, in that we don't leave where the main character is. We see what he sees and nothing more. Hitchcock did have more to work with. We could look out a window and converse with a few other characters face to face. With Buried, all we can do is stare at Ryan Reynolds and watch him talk on the phone. It shouldn't work, but it does.

I'm still stunned at how intense and suspenseful this film was. Director Rodrigo Cortès and Ryan Reynolds show that intensity isn't defined by how much you have to work with, but by how you present the material. The story leads up to an amazing ending that was incredibly well done and left me with the chills. It truly is an incredible movie and don't let your preconceived thoughts detour you away from giving this a look.
½ January 17, 2011
I get what they were heading for, I'm just not sure I like it.
August 27, 2011
Buried was a good story and focuses your perception on the world passing by rather than the world inhabited by the character, played by Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool in X-men Origins:Wolverine). I can compare it to a book in the way it felt, with very little room to move your eyes, but enough scriptand music to keep imagining the scene outside the coffin. Overall, its just fun with some humerous and tragic twists.
Japes
August 3, 2011
This movie was amazing. The setting never changed, but I didn't get bored at all. The script was funny and entertaining. I loveddd it so much. The twist at the end (spoilers) was so sweet. It kept yanking us around like "oh he's saved!" then it's like "oh no he's not" haha it was sweet! I loved it so much. Then the way Brenner gave him hope on the phone like he was going to live....but really he was doomed from the start. It was so awesome. I really liked this movie. I just bought it from Border's for like $18 on blu ray because the Border's near me isn't going out of business so everything was on sale. I saw a bunch of DVDs but I wanted Buried the most...so I bought it and I watched it with my bro and it was sweettt. Favoritest movie ever yo.