—— The Identical Sep 05

—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Burlesque Reviews

Nicki M

October 10, 2010
Not really to my tastes, didn't quite realise it would be a musical (believe it or not!). I realised Christina would sing, but not quite so much!
It was okay, if you like musicals. Christina Aguilera is very pretty to look at and has great voice, but it gets a bit much. Story is slight. Waitress gets dream job in Burlesque bar and gets guy.. seen it all before and done better in Coyote Ugly (not Burlesque, I realise, but a similar type of story).
Cher pretty just wanted her to shut up. Could that woman look any more plastic? (sorry, really not a fan!). Kristen Bell not really in it enough .
Not that bad. Average. If you like musicals, will probably enjoy it, but I was disappointed.
EightThirty .

November 28, 2010
28/07/2011 (DVD)

CAN'T BELIEVE I LIKED IT!!? Yes I thought I was going to loathe it because it looks so chickity flickity but I sat through it quite enjoying it. It didn't quite suck as I expected it to.

No bars raised in the plot department but what it had was done nicely and for me was not a bore. A "from rags to riches" story that is no biggie really since we've seen it so many times but otherwise still a sittable flick.

Music was good for me although its not my thing but it fitted the whole movie thing so it was appreciable to accept in my case. Another flick to kick back to on an ordinary day.
Phil H

February 2, 2011
WOW this was predictable fluff, if your thinking along the lines of 'Moulin Rouge' and 'Chicago' your not far wrong, basically with the same plot from 'Showgirls' and errr well its basically 'Showgirls' but Burlesque.

Its not a bad film but its just very very average with very little on offer for catchy memorable tunes/songs, all the usual cliched characters and predictable events during the film and very little acting talent on show to boot. The appearance of the film is lovely with a real glitzy, razzle dazzle 'Cabaret' look and feel, the dancers are all superb and look stunning but Aguilera is poor as the lead. Looks the part but just can't act (much like Kidman in 'Moulin Rouge'). Cher is actually not a bad choice for the club owner as she looks the part of an aging dancer refusing to let herself grow old gracefully, suits her plastic looks perfectly. Gallagher looks and plays almost the same character/role as Maclachlan in 'Showgirls' whilst Tucci is the cliched gay close friend and assistant to Cher.

To be honest I was amazed Madonna and Lady Gaga weren't involved, would of fit in nicely. Main issue is lack of acting and dancing talent with the use of boring huge star names that take all charm and realism out of the whole idea....the very unoriginal dull idea.

Its a nice try but its too in your face and not believable, hard to nail down but it just doesn't work. Too many tried plot ideas and maybe the club was too extravagant and big? maybe it should of been more lowkey, a slightly more humble realistic approach?.

Of course its a broadway theatrical type homage or recreation so I can understand the grandioso production and approach. But as I said its a little too similar to other film/theatrical productions (a bit late in the day and jumping on the musical bandwagon perhaps?) and simply isn't as good.
I think a more sensible, down to earth look may have worked better as this is just too campy and cliched, a Fosse/Minnelli beater this certainly is not ;)
Dean !

May 4, 2012
A fairly average film that doesn't offer much more than the typical tried and tested, girl on hard times manages to find an outlet for her talent and comes good scenario. Some good performances by Christina, the soundtrack to the film is good to. However the film feels a good 20mins too long at least.
Megan S

March 4, 2012
I actually enjoyed this movie. I'll probably never watch it again but it was fun. But Christina Aguilera's character needs to eat like five sandwiches.
Nani V

November 30, 2010
Meh... Christina Aguilera, not the best actress.
Spencer S

August 5, 2010
With low expectations but a love of anything musical and slightly cheesy, I was pleasantly surprised by this ode to the burlesque movement. Sure, it's not true to form, in that it veers from the lace and swing of the forties and fifties and morphs into a pop and sequins debacle fronted by blonde exclamation point Christina Aguilera, but it never pretends to be less than regular pith anyway. It's not big budgeted like Nine, and not complete froth in the ways of the Disney musicals, which shall not be named. Though the characters each seem to have exclusively original traits, none of them are fully explored, included Nikki's (Bell) alcoholism, Jack's (Gigandet) unfinished songs and tethering fiancee back in New York, and Tess' character (Cher) who is so one dimensional and uninteresting that she is more confusing than annoying. There is all this dialogue about Tess' stubbornness, her crumbled marriage to part owner Vince (Gallagher), and her denial at the foreclosure of her club, even at the 11th hour so to speak. She's just droll, which makes the rest of the plot slow and also make little sense. Still, Aguilera's numbers are pretty explosive, emphasizing actual burlesque principals, including pearls, large fans, and use of multi-platinum wigs. Yes, the romantic elements are cutesy, but the chemistry is very much there between Aguilera and Gigandet. The dancing is specifically gorgeous, and none of this is fake or clumsy. Enjoyable, if you don't pay attention to anything other than the action onstage.
Eric S

July 9, 2011
Well, Christina Aguilera can sing and move; so that's all I heard and saw for that matter.
MissMorganLeee
MissMorganLeee

November 3, 2010
Costumes, Songs (except Show me how you Burlesque) and Dances were Awesome!! But I wish they wouldnt have added some of that terrible plot line..Ugh so horrible. But you can do what I'll do if I ever watch this movie again, FASTFORWARD!!!
Drake T

June 2, 2011
I'm sorry, all the cleavage and skin can't save this cliche small-town-girl-to-popstar tale despite Aguilera's booming musical performance and my bias fanboyism for Bell

A waste of musical/visual energy, Burlesque could have really used a story that wasn't predictable every step of the way. In fact, the plot was so poorly conceived that I was actually bewildered by its half baked conclusion.
Cynthia S

September 27, 2010
I really didn't expect much from this. I rented it for mere curiosity more than anything else..but WOW! As soon as I heard Cher singing "Welcome to Burlesque", I knew I was in for a treat! Sometimes you just want to be entertained. I don't care about predictability, plot holes, lack of character depth, or any of the other things that stupid critics pick on. I just let myself enjoy it..and I sure did!! BTW, I love how they cast Alan Cummings (small role) as a kind of reprisal of his Cabaret character. It fit so well into the movie. (Very genius move!)
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 5, 2011
Not a musical, its a waste of time. Some songs were good, but other than that it was boring, had bad acting, and just a complete mess.
neverteaseaweasel
neverteaseaweasel

August 13, 2010
I'm not really sure where to start with this without being really mean. Honestly, it kind of sucks, no matter how you look at it. Both this and Wall Street 2 reminded me of films that I watched as an innocent child in the late 90's. I wish I could remember some exact titles, but the characters, plots, ideas, stylings, emotions, solutions for the climax, everything is identical. The problem being it's all tribe. Generally I'm not that big of a fan of Stanlet Tucci, but he is actually really funny here. Cher isn't bad either. One of my biggest complaints would be that besides the fact that the music just isn't very good, nothing is particuarly sensual or erotic. Xtina dances in nothing but beads or at times nothing at all, but it's just this blantent kinky mess, there is no charm. All of the dancing is horribly suggestive, but it just isn't interesting to watch. High School Musical, while a crappier film overall, honestly has better song and dance sequences. Idk, that is enough whining really. It really sucks, there is no denying it, but at the same time it's watchable, but that's about it.
jjnxn
jjnxn

March 9, 2011
Flashy and empty it's still nice to see Cher back on screen. Stanley Tucci is enjoyable and Christina Aguilera really can sing.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

December 27, 2010
To me this movie was pretty good and the story was good too yet simple. Loved the dancing and the music. Nice cast too!

The Burlesque Lounge has its best days behind it. Tess, a retired dancer and owner of the venue, struggles to keep the aging theater alive, facing all kinds of financial and artistic challenges. With the Lounge's troupe members becoming increasingly distracted by personal problems and a threat coming from a wealthy businessman's quest to buy the spot from Tess, the good fortune seems to have abandoned the club altogether. Meanwhile, the life of Ali, a small-town girl from Iowa, is about to change dramatically. Hired by Tess as a waitress at the Lounge, Ali escapes a hollow past and quickly falls in love with the art of burlesque. Backed by newfound friends amongst the theater's crew, she manages to fulfill her dreams of being on stage herself. Things take a dramatic turn though when Ali's big voice makes her become the main attraction of the revue.
Fernando Rafael Q

November 24, 2010
Its cliché-laden script borrows heavily from every musical, comedy, romance and rags-to-riches tale ever put on film, but Burlesque is a nice little breather among the heavy dramas and intricate stories we saw in 2010. In other words, it's old-fashioned, dumb (and incredibly well-choreographed) fun. Cher might look like a ventriloquist dummy but, acting-wise, she's still got it (sort of). Her voice is as awful as ever, though. In her first movie role, it's pretty obvious Christina Aguilera is not the best actress in the world, but she's good enough for this, and her singing is impeccable. Stanley Tucci is at his most charming. However, it's all sort of lukewarm: the sex, the rivalries, the struggles. Pretty, but hollow.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

November 17, 2010
As a great fan of the musical genre I went into this movie with a deep appreciation of Cher (both for her acting and musical abilities) and nothing less than thinly veiled contempt for Aguilera. I came out pretty much feeling the same, accept it proved one more thing that Aguilera is irritating at - acting. I felt that her performance was over emotional as was her singing and that she did not fit the role of a down and out wanna be, as even though they tried to make her look like she was from the wrong side of the tracks, she still looked a little too glamorous to pull off the rags to riches role that this story demanded. The original songs were catchy and overall the movie was good, but far from great.
Carlos M

December 23, 2010
I don't know what is worse, if the annoying, unremarkable songs or how this trashy modern pop fairy-tale is so predictable, boring and full of clichés from the first scene to the last one. There is nothing original or remotely interesting here, it is not even bad enough to make you laugh about it with friends.
thmtsang
thmtsang

December 29, 2010
Predictable story lines and a showcase for Christina to belt out her songs. Bad wigs but great dancing and sexy costumes. Good cast. Coyote Ugly meets Chicago. If you liked them and a bit of Moulin Rouge you will enjoy this movie.
Alice S

December 25, 2010
A hot, irresistible mess. The story's quite blah, but Christina Aguilera really impresses. She's always had pipes (although some don't dig her style of singing), but now, she proves she's got the dancin' gams to go along with 'em. The character of Ali is pretty flat, but Christina doesn't waiver from the sweet, down-home girly demeanor, so that's pretty consistent "acting" if you will. She nails all the songs - the flirty, the sexy, the wistful, the heartbroken, especially "Bound to You" - the ballad she sings in the green dress. If Renee Zellweger could have gotten nominated for an Oscar and Catherine Zeta-Jones could have won an Oscar for fuckin'-Chicago, Christina should at least be nominated. It's whack that the movie itself is nominated for a GG though.