Burning Palms Reviews

MANUGINO
½ June 26, 2011
Five Tales That Will Mess You Up For Life.

Not bad yet not great either. This film has many stories which could may be real in real life but totally messed up too. I think the cast was decently good and the director almost achieved his his goal but failed in alot other ways.

Five tales of madness set in L.A. In "Green-Eyed Monster," a foul-mouthed 15-year-old comes home from private school to meet Dedra, the woman her dad plans to marry. Father-daughter antics creep Dedra out. In "Little Piggy," a woman can't get the stink off a finger she's used to stimulate her boyfriend during sex. "Buyer's Remorse" presents Tom and Gerry, a West Hollywood couple, who buy a child on the black market; she takes weeks to say her first word. In "Kangaroo Court," a nasty kid torments a maid in his household by stealing the placenta of her dead baby. In "Man Eater," a woman tracks down a rapist who has left his wallet at her house. When she finds him, what will she do?
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ June 24, 2011
"Five Tales That Will F#%! You Up For Life"

A subversive tale that interlaces five stories set in Los Angeles, where no taboo is left unexplored as each character careens toward a dark and often comic fate.

REVIEW
If you have a dark humor, and speak cynicism fluently - this movie is definitely worth your time. Usually when a movie depicts a couple of different stories with a common denominator, shown one following the other, not interlacing, it is used in order to show "a bigger picture", which brings me to one of the two only issues with this film (in my opinion): there is no bigger picture. If you're looking for a final scene that will connect all the dots together, you should know there isn't any. It's just not this kind of movie, nothing to be disappointed about.

The other thing that might bother you, is the lack of "tightness" in the plots. This becomes very apparent in the different endings - as if the writer had an excellent idea for five sketches, but not a movie. A film that isn't going to be everyone's tea, with some of the set-ups leading to some very outrageous, absurdist scenarios but worth watching only once.
October 27, 2011
the trailer to this film was everybody's quick opinion on the film as they left the cinema and everybody said how bad and disgusting it was. that made me really want to watch it. It did live up to my expectations and was funny as hell. I'll never look at an Asian girl the same again.
½ April 26, 2014
F***IN Crazy and Hilarious!!! For a low budget flick, it's put together very well. I would recommend this movie to my mature friends for some cheap, but definitely sadistic laughs! ENJOY! LOL!
½ April 23, 2014
a wanna be 'crash' "Touching on taboo themes like rape, incest, and kinky bedroom exploits, Burning is a series of five Los Angeles-set short films that are only superficially provocative."
February 16, 2013
This was pretty good. It's a bunch of short horror flicks. Reminded me of Tales from the Crypt or Creepshow. The flicks didn't really have anything to do with each other. None of which were really scary, but more disturbing.

It's about a

* guy who has a weird relationship with his daughter and his fiance flips out (this one was the most disturbing, a little more because of what the fiance does to cope).
* A gay couple who adopts a black African hunter kid (pretty funny)
* Some really shitty spoiled rich kids with a hippie mom who doesn't really care
* A rape victim who confronts her rapist.
August 9, 2012
This movie is actually five completely unrelated stories, so it feels more like episodes of some twisted television show than a movie. And while it is ultimately pretty disturbing, it also has some great moments of black comedy. I didn't expect much going into this, but I really enjoyed it overall.
½ July 9, 2013
This film, directed by Michael Landon's son, Christopher, is pretty interesting.
½ June 10, 2013
female leads - half-a-star each. the rest is fucking unbearable
April 20, 2013
Hilarious ... especially due to the performances of Anson Mount and Lake Bell, and at least one kid as her straight man. Another one of those movies in which you're basically going to have to put down some of your moral precepts for a while ... and not one in which you will necessarily have them reaffirmed for you at the end. Skip the vignette with Jamie Chung; in f act, for my money, only watch vignettes three and four, Buyer's Remorse and Kangaroo Court, which are worth the price of admission, especially three. A black comedy/
½ April 19, 2013
total basket of suck. best watched while asleep.
March 25, 2013
Monday, March 25, 2013

(2010) Burning Palms
PSYCHOLOGICAL DRAMA

Five short seperate stories in the same realm as "Creepshow" except that these stories center on extremely odd strange people doing peculiar circumstances.

First story called "The Green-Eyed Monster" starring Dedra Davenport (Rosamund Pike) meeting the 15 year old daughter Chloe Marx (Emily Meade) of her fiance Dennis Marx(Dylan McDermott) for the very first time. However, she is soon disturbed by how unhealthy and bordering on incestuous the relationship between the two is. (synopsis copied and paste from Wikipedia)

The problem with this one is that the story seemed to be restrained for theirs a lack of communication between Dedra and nor is their a lack of critisism from all else.
"The Green Eyed Monster" gets 2 out of 4 stars

The second story called "This Little Piggy" starring Ginny Bai (Jamie Chung) agrees to participate in an unconventional sex act with her boyfriend Chad Bower (Robert Hoffman). Soon after she begins to slowly lose her mind when she cannot seem to get rid of an odd smell from her finger. (synopsis copied and paste from wikipedia)

The problem with this one is of course the same problem I had with the first story which is the lack of communication, Ginny with the stinky finger doesn't even see a doctor about this making viewers curious about why she can't get rid of that smell off her finger.
"This Little Piggy" gets 2 out of 4 stars

Third story called "Buyer's Remorse" where a rich and well recognized West Hollywood gay couple (Peter Macdissi and Anson Mount) decide to adopt a 7 year old African girl (Tiara McKinney). They prove to be mentally unprepared for the challenges and risks involved in parenthood, especially so, as their adopted daughter is a decided mute who refuses to speak to them.

Again, like the first two stories, viewers are oblivious about the little girl's past which is kind of ludicrous since the two gay couple are spending money on her but may have done it from illegal channels but it never tells.
"Buyer's Remorse" gets 2 out of 4 stars

Fourth story is called "Kangaroo Court" where it showcases
a nanny (Lake Bell) for a group of neglected children comes to find some dangerous secrets about the live- in staff at their mansion home. (Synopsis copied and paste from wikipedia)

The children show a lack of consequences nor any responsibilities, nor do viewers ever get to know how and where they get their money from.
"Kangaroo Court" gets 1 star out of 4

The fifth and last one is called "Maneater" that has unidentified man (Nick Stahl) breaks into the apartment of meek woman Sarah Cotton (Zoe Saldana), whom he proceeds to rape. Sometime later she finds the man's wallet and is able to track him down and approach her attacker with an unusual request.(synopsis copied and paste from wikipedia.)

Probably the best one to watch out of all 5 of stories, which is a remincent of a small Takashi Miike movie.
"Maneater" gets 2.5 out of 4 stars

And one final point I want to make here is that all of the stories have considerable acting but the story experience is awkward.

2 out of 4 statrs
December 7, 2012
This in one that I couldn't finish... and I've endured it to the end of some fairly crappy movies in my day. This little insult to rational thought was just too, too overly simplistic and comic book-like, but not in a good way. Probably written by middle school boys who have crushes on their sisters.

Pappy's Pedestrian Opinion: I didn't like it.
½ November 24, 2012
Sucked. Loved the actors....especially the druggie babysitter and Zoe Saldana. It was the cliffhanger stories and the structure of the movie that sucked. Waste of time and talent. Feel like the movie was hastily put together.
November 13, 2012
Compellingly perverse, entertaining and at times genuinely moving while frequently hilarious...highly recommended.
September 29, 2012
Unpleasant, disturbing film that pushes the limits of sexual taboos. Good cast, bad movie. This stinker is distinctly unpleasant.
September 8, 2012
This is a crazy ass movie and Im actually in it (the birthday party scene) the movie is out of control
May 15, 2012
Funny, tragic, unpredictable and with with some disturbing twist. Loved it.
December 30, 2011
Not for everyone ... I liked it though!
November 20, 2011
Horrible movie... Waste of time...