Butter Reviews

½ April 14, 2013
Who knew butter could be so interesting. Lol. This kind of reminded me of "Election". Jennifer Garner's overachieving character definitely had a Tracey Flick vibe to her. Bitching, backstabbing, a scheming hooker, what's not to like in this very black little comedy drama.
September 30, 2012
Cute, and witty. Really well done. Excellent cast. Perfect Sunday afternoon movie....
MANUGINO
January 24, 2013
There's going to be a meltdown.

Good decent movie! Butter is a delightful little comedy that has most of its best jokes in the trailer but still manages to make you smile throughout. I'll admit, when I watched this I didn't have particularly high hopes. The film's strength is its short run-time. At a little over 80 minutes, the film opens up quick, makes you chuckle and sometimes laugh, and wraps up before you worry about its problems. It is necessary for me to address these problems but I honestly didn't care much for them. I had a lot of fun watching it.

In Iowa, laid-back Bob has won the state fair's butter-carving contest 15 years running; his tightly-wound and hard-charging wife Laura sees Bob becoming governor, so when the contest organizers ask him to step aside so others can win, she's incensed; when Bob won't protest, she decides to enter herself. In the county contest, she's up against Destiny, an African-American foster child, and Brooke, a prostitute Bob hasn't paid. When things don't go Laura's way, she enlists the help of Boyd, an old boyfriend. Laura's step-daughter and Destiny's foster parents are in the mix as things heat up at the state fair. What are Destiny and Laura's destiny?
LWOODS04
½ January 4, 2013
"What a fun quirky film. You never know what your going to get with an indie flick. In this one you get a butter sculptor, crazy stepford wife, a stripper, lesbian daughter (getting some lesbian action for you gals and guys who enjoy that stuff), an orphan, and a hillbilly car dealer. Yes, all in one movie. If that doesn't draw you to this movie like a fly to an electric bug zapper (I'm not going to pretend I know what those are formally called), I don't know what would. I liked it. It was funny. I laughed even more when they showed the blooper reel at the ending. My favorite being of Olivia eating shit on the bike. Good times."
½ September 21, 2012
''Butter'' has an extremely likeable cast, but it's too predictable, repetitive and bland to warrant a strong recommendation.
Harlequin68
½ February 20, 2014
In "Butter," Bob Pickler(Ty Burrell) has won the county butter sculpting contest for the last fifteen years. So, the powers-the-be have decided to give somebody else a chance. After she calms down somewhat, his wife Laura(Jennifer Garner) figures it might as well be her and would have had a very easy time of it if not for destiny. Sorry, make that Destiny(Yara Shahidi), a ten-year old orphan who has spent most of life going from one foster home to another and also has a prodigious talent for art in any form.

I might have been of a mind to like "Butter" if only it could have made up its mind about what kind of movie it wanted to be. Destiny's touching story clashes wildly with the movie's awkward sense of humor that is much more condescending than satire.(The one laugh out loud moment in the movie combined the weirdest product placement and a truly private joke.) Not helping matters is the lack of comic timing from both Jennifer Garner and Olivia Wilde, with Garner also not being able to locate her inner Jessica Lange. That leaves Rob Corddry of all people to walk off with scenes, by being as down to earth as possible.
½ April 1, 2013
Exploring the seedy underbelly of competitive butter carving, Butter is a dark comedy the tries too hard. In a small Iowa town a local butter carving competition turns ugly when the competitors set out to settle their personal scores with each other. The cast is actually pretty good, and includes Jennifer Garner, Olivia Wilde, Hugh Jackman, and Alicia Silverstone. While the film has some fun parts, the story goes to bizarre places and is overloaded with convoluted subplots. Yet despite its problems, Butter delivers a fair amount of laughs and it full of interesting characters.
January 29, 2013
"Butter" is a star-studded jaunt into Midwest humor that doesn't quite hit its mark but still entertains with the amount of recognizable faces it contains. In cameos, Hugh Jackman and Olivia Wilde show just how impressive they are, as they steal the show on more than one occasion, as does the young Yara Shahidi. The rest of the cast plays their parts accordingly and never really go above and beyond. Is it just me, or is it tough to see Ty Burrell in anything but "Modern Family"? Many directors take jabs at Midwest humor, including Michael Patrick Jann with "Drop Dead Gorgeous", Christopher Guest with many of his films, and now Jim Field Smith ("She's Out Of My League") and although the sport of butter carving does scream some Midwest mentalities, "Butter" never accomplishes the mocking annals that the previous directors' work. Carrying very few laughs, the most interesting work done in the film is the character development, with strong characters forming, mostly against type, like that of Jackman and his auto salesman character. Jennifer Garner's character is the perfect villain, with a spot-on, prissy performance that makes you hate her from start to finish. Had "Butter" done more than just scratch the surface of satire, this could have been a much more memorable film. Instead, it remains an average attempt at poking fun at deep-fried on a stick, Middle Americans.
June 12, 2013
With plenty of well-known actors dancing around this film, its a surprise the script is so frustrating to follow. There isn't much finesse in way jokes are delivered. This is supposed to be a satirical movie aimed at the midwest, but what you get is a jumbled movie with two conflicting problems between Jennifer Gardner's character and the little girl. The little girl is endearing and actually provides the meat of the story you actually want to pay attention to, but it's quickly chopped down when Gardner's character's ambition goes too far. Granted at only 90 minutes, not much is given for character development, but I got a kick out of Hugh jackman and Olivia Wilde playing brash versions of characters you'd usually never see them play.
September 11, 2012
A quirky little comedy with a really great cast! I have to say, that if anything, Butter showcases the talents of Yara Shahidi. She outshone just about every actor that appeared in the movie. Which is surprising considering, she is only ten years old. This is currently available on VOD. So, if you have the money and the time to spare. Check it out!
February 2, 2014
"BUTTER"... Should have been called "SHUDDER"... because that's what I did... I was APPALLED by what I had just sat through... oh, where to begin...? I mean, I am being SO, SO generous on this one... THE ONLY reason I'm NOT going any lower is because I STILL think AIRBENDER is WORSE... but when it comes to something like THIS... not by much. (Can you tell by this point that I HATED this movie? Guys, it is BAAAAAD... it's SO BAD!) I mean, I REALLY HATED this movie! I COULD NOT STAND IT AT ALL! The tagline is "There's going to be a meltdown"... the tagline of this review (if I were to give it one) should be, "There already IS a meltdown" because I'm just getting STARTED... so yeah, just come talk to ME about a meltdown! Before I continue with my rant, I just wanted to get this out of the way: when it comes to movies, it's pretty rare that one actually makes me ANGRY, let alone as much as I am right now. If you haven't caught on with my reviews by now (as in noticed how good my ratings are), then you should know starting here that I am one of the more lenient types when it comes to movies, like some movies critics hate (like the majority of the Transformers movies (which I LOVE, by the way), Die Hard 5, etc.) I actually at least enjoy them because THEY don't make me ANGRY, I find something about them that I really like, and that sticks with me. THIS one, I COULD NOT think of A SINGLE THING... NOT ONE! (AND NOW back to my Rant) As much as I shuddered at hearing what they did to embarrass Wolverine's fans with MOVIE 43 (which I actually found Richard Roeper's and Spill's reviews WAY FUNNIER than ANYTHING I saw of THE MOVIE... from the entirety of the trailers and certain scenes on YouTube; I felt better doing that after deciding to pull a Neo and choosing to NOT see it in theaters), I was flat-out CRINGING as soon as I found out he was even IN THIS...! Between this and AIRBENDER, which left me horrified at what they had done to such a beloved source material, THIS is the lesser of two evils because it at least was something to fall asleep to. NO JOKE: I was ACTUALLY nodding off during this movie. This was SO bad that I REALLY did feel like I would have rather watched MOVIE 43 for Hugh Jackman (OH, YEAH... I WENT THERE...!) and even WORSE THAN THAT, I ACTUALLY considered checking to see if TWILIGHT was on TV (I say THAT because Ashley Greene (who's also in TWILIGHT) is in this...! This is coming from a guy who's actually TRIED finding time to watch THE APPARITION... A COUPLE TIMES, no less... because it actually didn't look THAT bad... I ACTUALLY WANT to find time to watch IT EVEN MORE NOW...!). I was even shocked to see that Olivia Wilde decided to do this (well, at least I had seen RUSH a couple months prior to this, so I KNOW she CAN do (AND HAS DONE) a GOOD movie)... EVERYONE who's IN this movie, I feel so sorry for you... I KNOW you can do better... I've SEEN you do better... well, at least MOST of you. DO NOT... I REPEAT, DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE! If you LOVE (or even REMOTELY LIKE) this movie (AND AIRBENDER, I should add), I want A FULL explanation AS TO WHY AND HOW you could POSSIBLY have that sort of feeling...! Also, I understand this movie was picked from some sort of "Hollywood Blacklist" (Don't believe me? Look it up)... that large slab of butter... rather than being used to sculpt, should have stayed in the fridge that was that Blacklist, and rather than picked up, should have been THROWN OUT like a moldy piece of food left IN that fridge for WAY too long because of the stench watching this leaves on you!
½ June 29, 2013
This movie surprised me in a good way the acting was good and who knew butter could be that interesting.....
June 2, 2013
LOL what the eff did i just watch

ok, seriously tho, i guess i understand what they were trying to do here. it ultimately wasn't funny enough to be a good satire, though, and it wasn't good enough to be a good drama/feel-good story.

best part of this movie is stripper Olivia Wilde, and Olivia Wilde/Ashley Greene lesbian scene. i probably just sold this movie to all straight males everywhere, lol
½ May 19, 2013
With a glittering of stars including Jennifer Garner, Olivia Wilde, Hugh Jackman, and Ashley Greene, I am surprised that the movie "Butter" is not more in the spotlight as it deserves. The tale of black female child prodigy may be reminiscent of "Akeelah and the Bee". However, the story as a whole is still original and deserves an applause.
May 18, 2013
Very odd story. Never heard of butter sculpting. Jennifer Garner and Hugh Jackman have played better roles.
March 12, 2013
Butter Carving is cool and this film is pretty cool the works of art are jus limitless
February 28, 2013
So Ty Burrell plays a spineless weeny again, just like on TV. Sigh. I usually say anyone could have played any role ten times better than Jennifer Garner, but I can't say that this time, because her role was an unlikable, republican, devious, hypocritical, religious troll. Perfect for her! Minus a half star for Jennifer Garner. As a lifelong Iowan, living less than an hour from the place where most of this film took place, I can tell you that everything moronic that happened is, sadly, spot-on typical Iowa. I've seen the butter carvings in person. I may cry...
February 9, 2013
Marginally enjoyable. Everyone's a stereotype and it's predictable and occasionally forced, but there's small scenes and characters that work.
February 7, 2013
I had never heard of this movie, but was impressed when I read the names in the cast, so I decided to give it a shot. Really glad I did, because while the plot is understated to say the least, it's a refreshing, cute little film that's more or less harmless and has some truly funny moments. I really enjoyed this film.