The Butterfly Effect - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Butterfly Effect Reviews

July 25, 2007
Built on one laughable implausibility after another this is a dark work that begs the recycle container ... but go along with what's unbelievable for a minute and after a minute you get a serviceable visit to the twilight zone, one where Kutcher's not a bad actor. And this is a serviceable sci-fi.
366weirdmovies
½ September 12, 2012
A college student discovers he can go back in time and alter past events, but every change he makes brings about tragic unintended consequences in the new present. Pretty much "DONNIE DARKO for Dummies."
garyX
½ February 16, 2007
A boy suffering from memory lapses is diagnosed with a hereditary mental illness but later in life learns he is capable of revisiting previous moments in his life. A variant on the whole wish fulfillment concept we've all thought about where you imagine going back to a point in your own life and try to change things for the better, this hokey sci-fi involves the ever perfectly coiffed Ashton Kutcher revisiting his past with various disastrous consequences. I feared the worst as the beginning of the film was very soapy and teen-friendly, but as the tone darkens it gets progressively more interesting. Some of the character development (if you can call it that; Kutcher's personality undergoes drastic rewrites at regular intervals) can be a little difficult to swallow and it's very episodic, but if you're willing to accept some flaws in logic it's actually quite a decent little diversion. Considering it's essentially a vehicle for a teen heart throb The Butterfly Effect is surprisingly inventive and entertaining.
½ January 14, 2012
Intense. The multiple stories were legitimately interesting but I couldn't take Ashton Kutcher seriously. Fortunately, I was watching this movie in good company.
½ January 17, 2011
Entertaining, but that's about it. Unmemorable. With a thriller and a premise like this, it should've been more memorable
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Amazing film that's beautifully written. One of Ashton Kutcher's best roles and the film is so dark, serious, crazy, different and disturbing. As well as poignant. You get every emotion all rolled up into one. I'm so suprised that this got bad reviews, it's absolutely brilliant. Amy Smart is also outstanding in this. A must see! Truly heart wrenching and saddening.
May 27, 2007
One of the first movies to genuinely creep me out, in that I had to pause the movie in the middle and relax myself for a little bit (and grab my brother for protection) before I could return to it. I haven't seen it for like 5 years but there are still some residual effects of it to this day. I guess it really got under my skin.
September 25, 2010
The critics have never been more wrong. The Butterfly Effect is an extremely well-crafted suspense thriller that had me on the edge of my seat and cringing in every change of pace. This film jumps from lifeline to lifeline and it seems as though you believe every second of it. It is the perfect length to keep you satisfied and will always be brilliantly fresh in my eyes.Ashton Kutcher surprisingly pulls off a stunning performance in which I believe this to be his breakout role. Every one of his alter life's come together to create a magnificent story that I will remember for a very long time. The Butterfly Effect is a great film!
July 1, 2007
This 'what if' style film is fairly unique is it's storytelling, with fairly serious moments throughout. It's time travel less the sci-fi element and thought provoking in it's changes.

Possibly the only Ashton Kutcher film that I would consider rating highly

This is my first viewing of the happier ending, I hadn't realised there were two!
3niR
½ February 28, 2010
I'm surprised to see bad reviews on this because it was... what can I say... cool! Never been so curious to know every single part of something (my curiosity level is very low...most of the time). Whole time I was thinking what's next? what's next? (no lie).
Watch it.
*end of story*
theunknownhobo
½ November 16, 2010
I saw this movie by accident round a friends house and was instantly intrigued, mainly as to why I did not want to punch Ashton Kutcher in it. A brilliant and realistic piece of acting on his part that changed my perceptions of him as an actor. Sensitive subject matter flies from every angle of this film and you will find yourself wondering why you cannot seem to shake it from your mind after you have finished it. If you have the special edition DVD there are some amazing extras that explain the chaos theory, on which the film and its title are based, giving the film a more poignant subtext the next time you view it. With a cast of generic "college humour" actors/actresses I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the acting and indeed the quality of the film as a whole.
July 25, 2006
I absolutely loved this film. It had the right amount of everything and I really felt for the characters. It was very sad at the end with the montage of how everyones life was much better without him. Brilliant film with brilliant performances.
½ July 21, 2010
I am reviewing the directors cut because I have not seen the original. I loved this movie. I'm suprised by the bad reviews. Maybe the movie sucks and I don't see any of the problems. In my opinion this is a great movie and I really loved the end.

Grade: A-
TheDudeLebowski65
June 10, 2010
I thought that The Butterfly Effect was a thrilling, creepy thriller. The cast did a great job considering that Ashton Kutcher and Amy Smart give pretty good performances. A tense, thrilling film, The Butterfly Effect will keep you on the edge of your seat from start to finish. The film is superb in it's style and is both creepy and suspenseful. Some parts are sad and dramatic. The film is very original, and I enjoyed every moment of it. It's a terrific thriller and it also has a few elements of horror thrown in as well. The film succeeds at entertaining you, and considering the cast, its a great film to watch. The Butterfly Effect plays out heavily like a surreal nightmare, and it works very well. Even with actors such as Ashton Kutcher and Amy Smart, this film is very original and doesn't slow down on the tension. A superb film.
thmtsang
½ July 21, 2007
Ashton Kutcher's character blocks out painful memories of his childhood and develops supernatural powers that can enable him to go back to his past to try to fix things. However he seems to make things worse for everyone he cares about.
DragonEyeMorrison
½ January 29, 2008
If i could go back in time just by reading stuff the first thing i would do is go back the day i tried to watch this, and kick myself in the nuts.
FilmFanatik
January 29, 2008
Pile of crap.
November 24, 2009
A great plot that is both original and effective. It is, by far, one of the best ideas in recent films. The cast is pretty strong considering some of their previous roles. While it doesn't have a visual style to back up its plot, it is still an impressive effort.