Movies Like Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride: Hunter S. Thompson on Film

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride: Hunter S. Thompson on Film Reviews

March 30, 2011
A quite good documentary about the the later life and death of Hunter S Thompson. The movie has many interviews with actor, politician and family members. The interviews with the actors basically points to don't let them talk off screen. William H Buckley talks ad nausium giving left handed compliments.

The second half deals allot with his plans for death, suicide and his memorial not as enjoyable as the beginning. There are several scenes from Where the Buffalo Roam and Fear and loathing but know great incites.

It really left me wanting for more, but there isn't.
July 13, 2011
Like Masked & Anonymous...

March 30, 2011

It really left me wanting for more, but there isn't.
Pookie Burgess
February 14, 2010
It's not as biographically thorough as "Gonzo" was, but it paints a more complete picture of Thompson's later life and provides us a better understanding of the man's unique foibles.
piratefan60
August 31, 2009
Great documentary on a man that lived the stories he wrote. Some have become movies "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and "Rum Diary" both starring Johnny Depp. Hunter was one of a kind. RIP
hookemjoe
September 5, 2008
If you are as big a fan of Gonzo as I am, this is a superb look into Thompson's life of cooky lunacy. Narrated by Nick Nolte with appearances by Johnny Depp, Sean Penn, etc.; this is a must see to the max for any Hunter Thompson enthusiast. You also get to see just how insane Gary Busey truly is...which is fun!!
Skitch
August 19, 2008
I was expecting a lot more from this doc.
M Sarki
July 26, 2008
I have thoroughly enjoyed the HSF films I have witnessed lately.
randallhouse
March 27, 2008
Hunter was a very cool guy/writer/thinker/drug inhaler/shooter of weapons/liver of life/friend and apparently a southern gentleman. I have read too little of his work to say that I have really based my thoughts about him through anything other than stories and the two movies about him. It was good to get a closer more accurate look -- although, the idea that he created a persona that was impossible to live up to struck me as kind of strange because it seems he lived up to it almost to a T. It was interesting to see the way he entertained his friends, made calls (and left messages) at 4 in the morning, chuckled at his own jokes, wrote in his kitchen, and whatnot. It almost seems kind of dirty to get this insight. All of the little stories and memories that his close friends have of the times they spent, laughs they had, insights they were given -- maybe should just be their's. It is hard to fully explain feelings like that especially in regards to a person who lived (if nothing else) a completely rich and full life. But -- they did seem happy to divulge the info and maybe give another homage to their legendary buddy.
mjhouse72
February 2, 2008
[font=Arial Black][color=black][font=Arial Black][color=black]Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride is a documentary about Hunter S. Thompson. Much of the scenes are comprised of interviews with HST himself, including some from the 1960's and 1970's. It turns out that he really does talk like Johnny Depp's version of him in [i]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas[/i]. [i]Buy the Ticket[/i] follows along chronologically, talking about his life, books, and movies. My favorite parts were the interviews with Johnny Depp, Sean Penn, and John Cusack. Gary Busey is also interviewed. At the beginning of the movie, they show the crew attempting to interview him and it is hiilarious. I don't know if it was included because this is Gonzo-type behavior, but for some reason it fit great. If you already like HST, or are curious about why he is such a big deal, watch this movie.[/color][/font]

[/color][/font]