Cadence Reviews

September 12, 2014
One of Sheen's best kept secrets is this gem of a tiny indie before he lost his mind....very,very well acted.
½ July 28, 2013
Thought this movie was pretty good when I saw it. Decent drama. Chain gang song stuck to my brain for a long time.
June 26, 2013
This is one of my all-time favorite movies ever, that I saw one night by chance on HBO years ago. LOVE IT!!!
March 17, 2013
I think the critics are overly harsh in their reviews of this movie. Cold War movies rarely get much attention unless they threaten a hot war like "the Hunt For Red October". This movie probably also doesn't speak to them because they haven't lived it. I have. I saw many of the experiences Charlie Sheen's character does. I too was a young white private in that same era and I too had little concept of black people. For me this will always be Charlie Sheen's finest movie, but as I said, if you haven't lived it you may not get it.
January 14, 2013
Martin Sheen's directorial debut tells the story of a white man whose inappropriate behaviour gets him in a stockade populated by blacks. Though the film can be interesting a times, it is largely predictable and forgettable. However, it's a solid story and has its interesting moments.
December 7, 2012
Will have to watch this one. Not necassarily good or bad. Will see. Want to watch!
October 19, 2012
This movie has to be my of my favorite Charlie Sheen movies ever. The whole concept of it and the soundtrack is amazing. Yes, it could have been done a bit better, but really, I don't care. I love it enough to give it 5 stars!
September 24, 2012
Wow! great movie.. totally recommended...
½ August 13, 2012
A solid drama that not up to the standard of other military training pics, but is rather entertaining throughout.
April 3, 2012
That's the sound of the man, working on the chain......gang.
May 12, 2010
[font=Arial]I think Martin Sheen got a little too excited about Apocalypse Now nostalgia and decided that a complex story about a troubled military man could be told in black fade-outs between scenes that said very little. As you'd expect, he was wrong. What's told in "blackness" while Brando did his thing was a lot more powerful and suggestive than what Sheen was trying in Cadence. And, young Charlie Sheen wasn't able to prop up dad's work, either. He's almost in the Nicolas Cage category (Ghost Actors: Anonymous). This film was rated pretty fresh by the critics, but I found it to be a dinosaur skeleton in a museum, rather than smelling T-Rex's breath on your face. "Larry" Fishburne completes the Apocalypse Now harkback with an interesting performance; in fact, the most enjoyable part of the film is his "chain gang", but these scenes still seemed heavily contrived and rather shallow.[/font]
August 15, 2009
I finally saw "Cadence" while I was visiting my family in Texas awhile back and it was a great movie. Charlie Sheen has to go to military camp for 90 days after hitting a cop. Martin Sheen plays the role of the sergeant at the base. "Cadence" features one of both Charlie's and Martin Sheen's best performances in my opinion. Charlie Sheen must survive the 90 days in the camp in order to get out alive. He has to go to Vietnam afterwards. This movie will keep you interested while you watch to see if Franklin Bean, (Charlie Sheen), can learn to get along with his black roomates and how he will put up with the sergeant, (Martin Sheen), while he's there.
You will remember "Cadence" for the performances that all the actors put on and some of the other sequences such as getting the windmill to work. But you'll remember it even more for the song "End of My Journey" after you hear it at the end of the movie. There's no doubt that it's the best Christian song I've ever heard. If you like movies that deal with the Army, you'll like "Cadence." In my opinion, it's one of the best movies of the decade and one movie you can't miss. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000. Yet another rather overlooked great by Sheen, along with The Chase and to a lesser extent, Beyond The Law.
July 16, 2009
This was actually pretty good..."
½ June 9, 2009
i love this movie. It has heart, soul friendship, racism and human kindness !
½ February 16, 2008
Stereotype packed, the Black actors at least get a showcase for their skills, and many have gone on to bigger things, but this film has it's niche appeal as a time capsule of an era where the US Army was not at it's best, and intentionally sought to rid itself of the Black street hoodlums it needed desperately to fight in combat in Vietnam. Welcomed into the ranks to fight, and discarded pitilessly when that war war declared a no-go...(I know about this from personal experience, as I was a Military Policeman during this era working the jail/stockade detail..and it not only sucked, it blew!)...I can say that, despite it's myriad flaws, it was better to have this film made than not, if only to let the viewer get a small glimpse into the mindset of the era, as sanitized as it is in this film. I have a problem with such anti-military individuals as the Sheen/Estevez Axis creating such stuff, revisionist history mind-control and all that rot, but viewing this with your BS detectors on full can still make an interesting film experience, at the performance level (the cast all do their best), so grab the salty buttered oiled popcorn and check it out...
February 6, 2009
I have been searching for this movie for two years and can't find it. Awesome, moving movie.
January 17, 2009
love this movie, has lot character and a motivating soundtrack
December 11, 2008
I Want this version of "Chain Gang"! A movie proving friendship & conviction of heart is something you must remain true to.
½ November 7, 2008
ANYTHING WITH CHARLIE SHEEN IN IT IS GOING TO GET 5 STARS :)
October 15, 2007
A little sunday afternoon movie. Not good but not bad either. Good little story to it.