Cairo Time Reviews

February 24, 2013
A tasteful and engaging romantic drama, A beautifully crafted piece of work that shines with wonderful character development and gorgeous scenery. A stunning, mature and wonderfully romantic film. Director, Ruba Nadda crafts a remarkably adult love story that hits all the right notes and leaves on an open note that anything could happen. Patricia Clarkson and Alexander Siddig are outstanding, their chemistry is just golden. A gem of a film. A well-produced Canadian picture.
April 23, 2012
Fancy a little trip abroad? You could do worst than this sweet gem about an American woman who gets to see Cairo through the eyes of the people who live there. At first I thought it moved slowly. By the time I realised that, no, I was watching too fast, it was over and, like any good vacation, over too quickly. The leads submit intelligent, nuanced, adult performances and the experience should resonate for some time. And then you go to the Pyramids.
½ January 1, 2011
Nice movie. Nothing too exciting.
November 22, 2010
A beautiful film, it unfolds slowly and with great care. Patricia Clarkson projects a natural ease that only looks easy to achieve.
Harlequin68
½ August 22, 2010
"Cairo Time" is a quietly winning and beautifully photgraphed film with occasional obvious moments of direction. It starts with Juliette(Patricia Clarkson) arriving in Cairo, disappointed to find her husband, Mark, a United Nations official, is stuck in Gaza for the time being. She is instead met by Tareq(Alexander Siddig), Mark's longtime associate who has retired to run his father's coffee shop. They are not out of the airport before they meet Yasmine(Amina Annabi), an old friend of Tareq's, who invites them to a wedding. Left to her own devices, Juliette wanders the city and the movie uses her experiences, both good and bad, to explore the beautiful city and its relation to the West.(Surprisingly, the only other movie I can think of that was filmed in Cairo was "The Spy who Loved Me.") I had never realized the pyramids are so close to the city and the White Desert is particularly breathtaking. Interlinked with these highlights is the inability of Juliette to walk alone without being harassed and almost being run over in the street. It is ironic that in such a part of the world where women are expected to have a submissive role, she is experiencing freedom for the first time. Almogst the contingent at the embassy, there are suggestions to fix the city, changing things they do not understand, to make it more tourist friendly but wouldn't that rob Cairo of whatever makes it so unique in the first place? On a far more benign level, there is Mark's work in Gaza and the question if he is achieving anything worthwhile amid Juliette's concerns. Maybe all they need is a little faith.
½ July 13, 2010
Where you fall on the scale of enjoyment for this slender little mood piece about two dewy eyed souls drifting towards (or away) from each other will probaby depend on how much you find your fingers drifting towards the Travel Channel on your remote while watching TV in the middle of the night. Because this flick is as much a travelogue set in Cairo as it is anything else; probably much more so. Exploring every corner of the city while getting to know each other, stranded traveler Patricia Clarkson finds herself getting all goopy with her guide, Alexander Siddig. They are both, of course, quite swell here, but they're filling in a lot of gaps in the not-quite-there screenplay. Yes, yes, I get it. It's elliptical. I know, I know. They can't say what they're really feeling. But shouldn't their NOT saying be more interested than the pretty locales they're not saying the stuff in? Like I said, how you answer that question will dictate what you'll think. I know how I'd answer it...
SC007
September 18, 2011
The performances of Alexander Siddig and Patricia Clarkson are the best reason to watch the film. They shine on screen and have a great on screen chemistry in the film. The film kind of reminded me of movies like Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Bridges of Madison County, One Day, and A Passage to India. The cinematography was really good in the film. The pacing was off though. I do recommend the film cause of the performances of Clarkson and Siddig.
xxdebxx
May 19, 2011
Plot: Patricia Clarkson (Joan) plays the wife of a U.N. worker who comes to Egypt with the anticipation that her husband will be there to greet her. Unfortunately her husband is unable to break away from the conflict of his work to join his wife and so she is left alone. He sends instead his close friend. Alexander Siddig (Tariq) to meet her and Tariq becomes her guide and her friend.

To some extent the movie is about a woman traveling alone in an Islamic country, her own vulnerability in the face of on-street harassment as a white woman in an Egyptian world, the subtle development of a friendship between two temporarily lonely persons mixed in with an exotic environment and the cultural differences that both attract her and some which threaten her. Will this friendship lead to something more? Watch it to find out.
December 3, 2010
Its nice to see a middle age romance be told from a mature realistic perspective with mature realistic characters.
November 8, 2009
Cairo is a city full of diversity, full of culture, full of life...Clarkson and Siddig as well as the photography are great but the story did not sweep me off my feet. It is a movie I would have preferred to watch with my baby in my arms.
iLeo
½ April 14, 2010
A wonderfully, and intriguing, movie directed by Ruba Nadda (whom also directed "Sabah: A Love Story") follows the blossoming friendship, and love, between Juliette and Tareq. As Juliette arrives in Cairo, she receives news that her husband Mark will be delayed. In his stead, she meets Tareq (Mark's reliant Security Officer) at the airport. He shows her the scenery of the city, and entertains her, while awaiting her husband's arrival. As she grows weary and lonely, Juliette and Tareq's friendship develops into love. Breathtaking scenery. Beautiful music.
Patricia Clarkson, Alexander Siddig, Amina Annabi, Elena Anaya, and Tom McCamus stars. Definitely worthy!
Blaster1618
December 5, 2010
Although framed by the conflict of the middle-east, this film tries to rise above the normal everyone is or is connected to a terrorist genre which is getting a little tiring. An hour and a half of looking at Patricia Clarkson not bad time spent. surprisingly her role is held mainly to reaction shots. Alexander Siddig finally gets a chance to show his acting chops outside of STNG and being type cast as a terrorist. As a weird note the Arabic chanting which sound normally like an injured goat being beat'n with bag pipes was enjoyable in this film.
½ October 8, 2010
Quiet, beautifully narrated little film with a fantastic Patricia Clarkson.
mvieaddict
½ June 8, 2010
Another movie that I got to see during the AIFF, Aruba International Film Festival.Cairo time was about Juliette, played by Patricia Clarkson, who I had the opportunity to talk to her after the movie. She looked beautifuler in reality then she was in the movie.Her character travel to Cairo, where she was to meet her husband, but he got stuck in the Gaza, so he send his employer Tareq to take care of her. Who showed her Cairo, then herself. The last thing one could expect that they will fall in love. Beautiful movie directed and written by Ruba Nadda who was also on the red carpet, presenting one more of her production, after her I'll always come to you (2000) Unsettled (2001) and Sabah in 2005.I look forward to watch more works of this director.
shannylee38
½ March 5, 2010
Beautiful film and very good chemistry between Patricia Clarkson and Alexander Siddig!
½ May 13, 2010
This was a rather slow movie, but Clarkson and Siddig had great roles with a beautiful setting. I just wish the ending could have worked out for them.
October 23, 2012
Lost in Translation, set in Egypt amid pyramids and the Sahara, with a middle-aged visiting diplomat wife. The mood and dry heat is portrayed quite well, but the choice of dresses seem a bit overmuch given the cultural context.
½ September 12, 2012
½ July 14, 2011
I was turned on to this movie by someone who lived in Egypt and told me this was the most realistic portrayal of Cairo that she had seen in a movie. I was intrigued, and I was not disappointed. The city and customs are highlighted throughout the movie. What makes it special is that the viewer has this experience through an American woman's eyes, with all of her wonder and mistaken perceptions.

I loved the "forbidden", tempered relationship that develops between Juliette and Alexander. Alexander used to work for Juliette's husband in the U. N. and takes the unofficial role of tour guide for Juliette throughout Cairo. Even though they come from different backgrounds, they find some commonality. Alexander takes pleasure in Juliette's wonder and appreciation for Egypt and this becomes the heart of the movie.

This was a fairly short movie, coming in under 90 minutes.
½ June 8, 2011
Seeing Cairo so beautifully filmed was nice, put going there on my Bucket List actually.But as far as the Movies itself: I wanted to Like it, I was bored to tears, although I have the utmost respect for Patricia Clarkson as an actress of recent, deserving, & "it's about time" claim.I watched the whole thing, & if weren't for the beautiful showcasing of Cairo, I'd have forgotten I'd even seen it