Callas Forever Reviews

July 11, 2014
last costume period bio-pic
January 3, 2014
This film is directed by legendary Italian director Franco Zeffirelli but doesn't really finds it's own pace. Partly fiction, partly homage to the greatest singer of all time, the film is a mix of hit & misses but ends up feeling more like a cheap TV drama than an actual theatrical release. too bad the material was interesting and the film could have been better, probably the fault to a small budget.
January 14, 2013
Zeffirelli, who had worked with Callas on numerous occasions, makes this work out of love for his muse. The film is based around a what if situation: what if a filmmaker had asked her to film a version of her own version of the Carmen using audio from a previously recorded performance. The film however does not rank among the filmmaker's best, his personal feelings do not really translate so well to an audience, though the photography is still masterful and the art direction a treat.
May 14, 2012
muy buen relato de los ultimos momentos de la callas y como de la decadencia de la GRAN ARTISTA QUE FUE, surge de nuevo hacia su despedida pero no de los escenarios si no de la vida!
½ April 13, 2012
If you're a fan of Callas or opera, or possibly even just want to be famous, this film is worth seeing, and gives you a peek at the hardships and joys of being famous, and how one deals with losing their talent or ability through age.
June 30, 2011
No es una gran pelÝcula, pero es una sobre la Callas!!!
February 25, 2010
fanny + callas = love.
½ July 27, 2009
just checked this out because of Callas being in the title. But I rather enjoyed it. Maria Callas sure dressed with style and poise in Chanel.
May 9, 2009
Fantastic!!! I don't know why some many reviewers gave this movie low marks. Franco Zeffirelli has directed some of the most artistic films of the 1960s and 1970s. (and this is one of them!!) I like opera. I love Maria Callas (I have 35 Vinyl lp of her) I love all the films of Franco Zeffirelli. I love the opera Carmen. I love Paris France. I love this film. The film has problems see some of the other reviews. This film is a lavish and loving tribute to Callas who was Zeffirelli's long time friend in Italy and France. MUSIC LOVERS OPERA LOVERS CALLAS LOVERS WATCH THIS MOVIE AND ENJOY!!! five stars
March 7, 2009
Not knowing anything more about Maria Callas than that she was an internationally renowned opera sensation, I was particularly interested to see this one. Not really a biographical film, this movie, as it states in the blurb on the back of the DVD case, is director Franco Zeffirelli?s interpretation of what Callas? last months might have been like if things had gone differently. But, I wondered differently how? After watching the film, I got the impression that even though Zeffirelli worked often with Callas, the film is more about what he personally would have liked Callas to do with her last days, instead of apparently what she did do...which was pretty much...well, nothing. The film is a glorious tribute to Callas as a singer and as a ?diva.? French actress Fanny Ardent does a great job of capturing both Callas? torment at the lost of her voice and the admiration she thrives off once she becomes ?famous? again. This film is not especially for someone who does not like or have even a mild appreciate for opera since much of the movie revolves around Callas doing a film production of Bizet?s Carmen. Of course, since Zeffirelli has directed many, many opera productions, he knows how to stage, light and shoot the musical parts. But even if you think you don't like opera, between Zeffirelli?s beautiful direction and the sound of Callas? voice in its prime, you might just find that opera is one of your hidden loves. If any film can bring that passion out in you, this one can.
January 31, 2009
One of her best performances.
October 14, 2008
I love this movie! Although I am not an opera fan, Fanny Ardant makes me love Maria Callas' work, her spirit, her legacy! The film is so beautiful, it makes you feel as though you're there!
½ May 22, 2008
A fictional depiction of the aging opera diva who agrees to do a comeback. A beautiful, touching movie. Fanny Ardant is fantastic in the leading role.
March 5, 2008
Briliant Ardant & Irons.

Zeffirelli's magical touch!
½ February 24, 2008
If it weren't for the OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD performance by the fantastic Fanny Ardant, this would be a pile of trash. It's a regular, old-fashioned movie that took a terrific subject (Maria Callas comeback) and totally wasted it. Fanny Ardant devours the role completely and creates magic on stage, on the studio and in front of the camera. Whenever she is monologuing or simply breathing in front of the camera, it's as if there was no movie at all: just Maria Callas.

4 stars for Fanny Ardant's performance. Without her, it would be a 1 star movie. So I'll go with 3 and a half.
September 26, 2007
It does not show her life completly but it's pretty good movie for those sho know her , and her life...how ever i expect something else ...
jjnxn
September 23, 2007
Fanny Ardant is great in the title role, Jeremy Irons and Joan Plowright offer exemplary support.
½ July 26, 2007
Beautifully acted, intelligently written and criminally neglected by critics and distributors Callas Forever is a haunting and poignant study of the sacrifices an artist makes for her art.
For some people the movie will prove somewhat unsatisfying, the more so if one focuses exclusively on Callas at the cost of ignoring other nuances and ideas, and the sheer pleasure of listening to the music and singing. But I recommand it to people who enjoy operas.
CloudIsAMonkey
May 21, 2007
Ooh, I've got a callas on my finger cuz I hold my pencil wrong...