Cannery Row - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cannery Row Reviews

July 11, 2014
Pleasant enough, but doesn't quite have the dramatic power it needs. Watching a young Debra Winger, I was reminded of Jennifer Lawrence.
June 4, 2014
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
January 7, 2014
Apres une demi-heure assez laborieuse, Cannery Row se met en route et se trouve etre une comedie bien sympathique, mais trop longue pour son propre bien. Nick Nolte et Debra Winger forment un duo plutot efficace, les seconds roles comme M. Emmet Walsh ou Frank McRae sont excellents et John Huston assure a la narration mais le film parait un peu vain, en fin de compte. Dommage.
June 28, 2013
Cannery Row may be excessively sentimental, even a little corny, but it's all heart.
½ April 28, 2013
I adore this movie, from the first time I saw it back in the mid-80's to a recent viewing in 2012. It holds up fairly well after all these years. Great acting by both Debra Winger and Nick Nolte. They're both so young and gorgeous in this film. It's hard not to like every single character. They're so warm and poignant, you almost forget you're watching a story about homelessness people and prostitutes! This is classic John Steinbeck - lots of humor and empathy.
August 16, 2012
Charming romantic comedy. Everybody was too nice to be believable though. Including marine biologist - the Doc, played by the youthful and handsome Nick Nolte. Also too nice was Dora Flood, the owner of whorehouse Bear Flag Restaurant. She is kind to her girls and is always ready to help the poor and needy. I must read Steinbeck's original story on this.
April 9, 2012
One of Nick Noltes Greatest films...
July 30, 2011
Wonderful movie for its quirkiness and characters.

If you need a strong plot and high-intensity action scenes this movie may not be for you, but if you like living with a bunch of interesting misfits, then this is the crème soufflà (C).
July 24, 2011
I recently watched this again after many years. I am a Steinbeck fan so saw this nearly 30 yrs ago now when it was released. Loved it then and loved it now. Full of heart with wide sweeping emotion, I think Nick Nolte just shines as the lead character Doc, and Debra Winger as Suzy is just soft and lovely here. A great movie version of a wonderful American classic novel by John Steinbeck. Total enjoyment.
January 2, 2011
Beautiful Debra Winger, great Nick Nolte.
January 12, 2011
One of the most under rated movies of all time. It is touching and wonderful in its simplicity. One of my all time favorites.
July 15, 2010
Just seemed to go on & on & on
October 13, 2009
-- Hi. From public library recently I borrowed book SWEET THURSDAY by John Steinbeck. Once I started reading it I recognized characters & plot. It's familiar to me because "Cannery Row" the movie is based on both Steinbeck books, & I've seen "Cannery Row" the movie. I don't think I've read the book. Debra Winger is a great actress. I liked her in "Terms of Endearment," & I like her in "Cannery Row." She plays Suzy, a floozy. Hazel is a man. Joseph and Mary is name of one man. Nolte was cast to be Doc, & both men are endearing. This movie is like homemade catsup. It's spicy. --
May 9, 2009
I still love this movie! Recently released on dvd, watched with the kid, and he was not impressed? IMBD rates it low, and calls it a flop? I don't get it! I can't find anything wrong with it, I think it's a must see!
February 3, 2009
Not horrible, but avid John Steinbeck fans (like me) will be disappointed in the structure and lack of character depth.
August 13, 2008
Fans of Steinbeck, beware. The only thing this movie really has in common with the book is the title.
February 10, 2008
One of Nick Noltes Greatest films...
August 26, 2007
As a Steinbeck junkie, I had such high hopes for this film. I was sorely disappointed.
July 5, 2007
Sounds like it has nothing to do with the book what so freaking ever...looks like they ruined it by adding crap that Steinbeck never wrote.
July 17, 2007
This was a rather nice interpretation of the novel--at least from what I've already seen of it.