Cannes 2008: David Lynch and Werner Herzog Plan Horror Film

Thriller will be based on a true story.

David Lynch and Werner Herzog - two titans of indie cinema - have announced plans to collaborate on a horror-tinged thriller based on a true story. My Son, My Son will tell the tale of a San Diego man who acts out a Sophocles play in his mind and kills his mother with a sword. Film will flash back and forth in time, intercutting the disturbed man's back story with scenes of the murder. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Herzog has written the script with longtime assistant Herbert Golder, and plans to shoot the low-budget feature guerrilla-style on digital video next March. My Son, My Son is the second Herzog project to be announced in Cannes, the first being his remake of Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant, set to roll before cameras in July.

Comments

Some guy you dont know

Bruce Campbell

Awesome beyond words.

May 15 - 08:26 AM

Scarborough Fair

Kyle Beaudette

Whoa.

May 15 - 08:41 AM

Now it's dark

Kirby K

I hope someone's doing a doc on the making of this. Those two would be hilarious together.

May 15 - 08:44 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

No kidding! Imagine being on that set! If only Klaus Kinski were alive to star in this film.

May 15 - 09:49 AM

Young Turk

Joe Massino

Holy sh It I want to see this.

May 15 - 09:36 AM

arendr

Arend Anton

May 15 - 09:49 AM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

They must have done this after everyone started banging there heads into inanimate objects about Cage/Herzog in Bad Lieutenant.

May 15 - 10:05 AM

FILMCZY

First Last

And what part does Lynch have in this if Herzog is writing/directing? I think the article is missing a paragraph or something...

May 15 - 10:17 AM

Jarmir

Mikael Nilsson

Exactly. I hope Lynch will have some creative input and not just do a "David Lynch Presents" sort of thing.

This film could easily be one of the most seriously awesome things ever. I'm drooling all over my keyboard just contemplating the possibilities.

May 15 - 12:13 PM

Jarmir

Mikael Nilsson

May 15 - 12:13 PM

revolutionow

Nick Poissant

You should never be allowed to write about film again. "two titans of indie cinema"? What the hell is wrong with you?

May 15 - 02:21 PM

EmmG389

First Last

YES, Mother F-ckers!!! Even though all of Lynch's movies can be considered horror films in some way.

May 15 - 03:05 PM

EmmG389

First Last

Yes. Yes. Yes. I liked some of Grindhouse, but these guys are a hell of a lot more talented than Tarantino and Rodriguez. I want this movie out now.

May 15 - 03:08 PM

Chico Movie Examiner

David Wangberg

BRILLIANT!!! Absolutely awesome. Can't wait to see it.

May 15 - 03:20 PM

Dachshund96

Alpha Z

*Yawn* is it over yet?

May 15 - 03:48 PM

Mcpeer3

Michael Peer

OMG CAN'T WAIT, THIS IS GOD'S GIFT TO THE WORLD OF FILM

May 15 - 05:39 PM

Don't Tase Me Bro

Don't Tase Me Bro

Relax people.

Lynch is brilliant. Herzog is brilliant. But if you combine their skills that doesn't necessarily guarantee a masterpiece. While you might be panting for their respective wonder twins' powers to activate...combined you might end up with a mess. Think it can't happen? I give you Bruce Willis and Demi Moore's combined 'skills': Rumer Willis.

/Yep. One window seat please for trip to hell for the Rumer Willis remark.
/Massive Lynch/Herzog fan...will remain dubious on their 'pairing'.

May 15 - 07:00 PM

Lost*Highway*

Peter Mayers

It can't come quick enough.

May 15 - 08:43 PM

optic_85

Bryan West

I'm sold. I'll try not to expect TOO much...But this sounds great!

May 15 - 08:53 PM

Pilgermann

Michael Warren

If my head could explode out of joy, then it would've done just that.

May 15 - 11:24 PM

Film-Bliss

Eric Harris

What role does Lynch have in this? seems like Herzog is doing it all. also why March of 09? that is really specific for some date way off in the future. I hate when you find out news for something way in advance for release, but this is way in advance for even making. So the wait will be even longer. Still this sounds really cool and like something I am sure everyone is already directing in their own imaginations as we speak. I know I am.

May 16 - 12:40 AM

Richard Linklater
Richard Linklater

What are his Five Favorite Films?

The Hunger Games
The Hunger Games

New Mockingjay teaser trailer

Emmys
Emmys

Full 2014 nominations list

Planet of the Apes
Planet of the Apes

Watch interviews with the cast