Crowe Shrugs Off Muted Robin Hood Reaction at Cannes

Summary

The reception for the re-imagined "Robin Hood" at Cannes was decidedly muted, with some critics questioning the "politically correct" rewrite of the classic tale. Back to Article

Comments

JettaJameson

James Lowell

Does anyone even like Russell Crowe? I mean, REALLY like him?

May 12 - 10:38 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

He was great in "Master and Commander", as well as that older movie (the name escapes me) with Al Pacino and 60 Minutes and the cigarette conspiracy.

As for "Gadiator", his Maximus is one of the most memorable heros in recent film history. (To me, anyways.) In the movie, all the main characters hinted at having a long history together. If Ridley Scott were to ever be inspired to do a "Gladiator" prequel, then that'd be fine with me (although, sadly, a couple of the main characters' actors are deceased, RIP).

But over the years, I've heard stories with him off-camera that (if true) seem to indicate he's kinda of a jerk. I don't know him personally, so who knows.

But I'm of the kind that doesn't care about how he or anybody else is off-camera. I use them for their on-camera entertainment only, and care little about the reality gossip.

May 12 - 11:34 AM

R

R P

It was called The Insider

May 13 - 03:37 AM

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

Robin Hood the character, even if historically based, lends itself to myth, folklore, legend.
He changes with the times, in the same way that strictly fictional characters such as Superman or Batman do. He has become more myth than legend.
Audiences do change over time (for better or for worse), and while, of course, no one has to agree with changes, but it does make sense culturally why this Robin Hood would have a sword-swinging Maid Marion and Robin Hood speaking out against the Crusades.

May 12 - 11:09 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

I agree. With mythologies like Robin Hood, Lord of the Rings, Excalibur, Conan, King Arthur, etc, I have no problem with a big-name director being inspired to take a stab at it every 20 years or so.

For example: maybe 20 or so years from now, I'd LOVE to see a big-name producer inspired to do a 20-part Lord of the Rings mini-series for HBO. Kinda like what HBO did with Band of Brothers with Speilberg and Hanks.

Some (re-)interpretations are good, and some are bad. I'll take the bad ones for the sake of yielding the good ones.

May 12 - 11:49 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

May 12 - 11:34 AM

R

R P

It was called The Insider

May 13 - 03:37 AM

CFM

'schak Attack

May 12 - 11:49 AM

Clint D.

Clint Davis

The conceit that exudes from Russel Crowe when he is talking about his work is sadly more entertaining than this film. In life it has amazed me how being humble can get you so much further in life but this guy chooses to do the exact opposite.
My favorite quote from this article was %u201CIt%u2019s theatre on a grand scale and an experience second to none."
Was Russell Crowe in AVATAR or Lord of the Rings and I missed it? Surely he can't be talking about Robin Hood.
This arrogance will make Monday morning so much sweeter when the headlines will read "Robin Hood Gets Impaled"

May 12 - 03:40 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

I'm kind of rooting for this movie to bomb. I just want Crowe taken down a few pegs. Actually, I'd like to see him knocked back to the bottom.

May 12 - 06:18 PM

IMAmoose24

Eric Schulze

Just what we need. More PC blockbusters. Avatar was more than enough misery. Guess I'll be skippin' the new trip in the Hood.

May 12 - 03:45 PM

JettaJameson

James Lowell

May 12 - 06:18 PM

DANNY S.

DANNY STEVENS

Universal has 450 million into the production and marketing of WOLFMAN and ROBIN HOOD. Let's see.... that's (9) 50 million dollar movies. If eight were decent hits and one was a homerun, would be far more lucrative than these bloated overkills.

May 12 - 06:35 PM

R

R P

It was called The Insider

May 13 - 03:37 AM

New on DVD & Blu-Ray
New on DVD & Blu-Ray

Transcendence, Sabotage, Shōgun...

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer
Annabelle Trailer

Horror spin-off of The Conjuring

Laggies Trailer
Laggies Trailer

Keira Knightley is a responsible rebel