Capricorn One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Capricorn One Reviews

½ April 25, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this one, solid performances by a veteran cast, only the ending rings false.
October 23, 2015
Very entertaining film. Makes you wonder if this is what occurred during the moon landing?
September 9, 2015
This thriller gains point for it's boldness, uniqueness and provocative story. It looses points on almost everything else. However, it gets the message across and deserved to be mentioned as a part of the conspiracy world bible.
½ August 23, 2015
A good movie for the first hour but then it self destructs with glaring plot holes and conveniences.
April 23, 2015
I loved this movie. It had a fantastic ending. Everybody I know got the chills at the end of the movie. I can't think of another movie that I can say that for.
½ February 2, 2015
Ah, the cynical 1970s. The United States had lost the war in Vietnam and the American president resigned due to a two-bit burglary carried out by his aides at the Watergate hotel. This film is a byproduct of that period. A faked Mars landing is carried out. Due to a problem with the life support systems (due to the contractor cutting costs to maximize profits) the astronauts would die in space if they were sent out but the President is looking to trim the fat from his budget and if Mission Control scrubs the manned Mars flight, NASA may loose its funding. So the whole thing is faked and our three heroes (James Brolin, O.J. Simpson, and Sam Waterson) are convinced to go along with the ploy when their families are threatened. But when the remote-control module returns from Mars, it disintegrates in the atmosphere and Hal Holbrook and his shadowy masters do not want to explain to the President and Congress why the three heroic astronauts are still alive so they have to die. The three men escape into the desert chased by unmarked helicopter gunships. It hard to watch O.J. in a heroic role but the rest of the cast is pretty good. Elliot Gould plays a heroic reporter (Woodward and Bernstein were still heroes and Fox News hadn't reared its ugly head) who uncovers the truth, Brenda Vaccaro play's Brolin's character's wife, and look for Karen Black and Telly Savalas in bit roles. The film looks good, is exciting, and is well photographed. Unfortunately it fed conspiracy theorists who believe that we never landed anyone on the moon and encouraged writers to write books documenting the "moon-landing hoax." I guess if they hadn't written about that, they would have written books about the Bermuda Triangle. Ah, the cynical 1970s.
October 16, 2014
Great Sci Fi Movie about a Fake Mars Landing..Very Cool for it's Day James Brolin, O.J. Simpson star
½ September 11, 2014
A cracking piece of 70s paranoia film-making that offers a believable take on faking a Mars landing. Worth hunting down.
August 30, 2014
A boring film that isn't any fun. It has it's moments (very few) and will only be fun to absolute sci-fi-ish films and O.J. Simpson. Maybe not the ladder. 4/10 BAD
August 29, 2014
I can imagine conspiracy nuts going crazy over this film. It's a little overlong but it's a decently paced thriller with some good turns of the plot and entertaining dialogue, especially from Gould and Savalas.
April 29, 2014
Some of the elements I loved. There's a real tension in the first half, when the trio find out that the Mission to Mars that they've trained for is aborted and will be instead done at some top secret studio. But then in the second half, it becomes action adventurey as the astronauts try to avoid the authorities while escaping into the desert. Plus: Elliott Gould.
½ April 26, 2014
Goofy, flawed, and unbelievable. Not a good use of two hours of your time.
January 3, 2014
This film was referenced in a documentary that suggested that the moon landings were faked, and staged in a movie studio.

I'm not sure if Capricorn One stands up well today. Perhaps watch it to see O.J. Simpson playing an astronaut?
December 27, 2013
A fun thriller that could have been so much more if not for a sub par third act. That being said the concept is strong and the acting is solid enough to make this an above average sci-fi/thriller.
½ October 21, 2013
Good sci-fi conspiracy. I thought it was well paced to build the tension and all along we were left thinking if they would get away with it or not.
½ August 18, 2013
First-rate, thought provoking and exciting thriller--The Mars Hoax!!
½ August 3, 2013
With a cast consisting of a who's who of great actors of the 70's, this film tells the story of a failed Mars mission that is faked for the world to see. But what happens next?
The star of this film is the exceptional cinematography. The grand look and feel, specifically in the second half truly boost this movie up a notch. And the finale is amazing to watch.
½ June 4, 2013
It has a bizarre 70s jerkiness to it, and it also suffers from the fact that its B story really should be its A story. The scenes involving Elliott Gould are, for the most part, infinitely more entertaining than the ones involving James Brolin. The climactic air chase is actually pretty spectacular, but there's a pathetic excuse for denouement following it. Other than said air chase, the only two reasons to see the film beyond the basic interesting premise are the chance to see OJ Simpson in an astronaut suit and the scene where James Brolin eats a rattlesnake.
May 13, 2013
Just a very fun movie!
½ April 9, 2013
A classic conspiracy theory movie, with a great story, excellent cast, and winning performances all round. Telly Savalas's grouchy pilot in particular provides some welcome comic relief.