Marvel Movie Madness! Part 33: Captain America (1990)

Summary

Tim: Once in a while, in spite of itself, Captain America hints at being something more. There are a couple goofy scenes in which Steve Rogers is baffled by the norms of the 1990s, and the movie's most poignant scene -- when Steve returns to the home of his teenage sweetheart, now elderly, but still in love with him -- is so fleeting as to blunt any intriguing possibilities. If some recent superhero movies have overdosed on self-seriousness, well, that's a preferable approach to the cheapness on display here. Back to Article

Comments

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

from CANNON FILMS!!!!!???? Manheim Golan and Yurim Globus
anyone involved with this has my sympathies.

(CANNON GROUP FILMS rarely fared well with critics).

Jul 22 - 03:41 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Ya, they did Superman 4. They were like the second hand store of movies.

Jul 22 - 04:35 PM

Frisby2007

Frisby 2007

This looks nothing more than a geek in a costume running around for over an hour.

Jul 22 - 03:42 PM

Alexson Philip

Alexson Philipiah

never seen it, never will.

Jul 22 - 04:01 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

but YOU MUST! "HE COMMANDS IT!" . . . Danny Glick in SALEM'S LOT.///seriously you can't be so nihilistic in your approach to film. you should sometimes see bad and good movies alike even if you don't like them.///HEY: I thought HARRY POTTER and THE DEATHLY HALLOWS PART 2 to be AWFUL and I still saw it anyway and gave it a 100% FRESH RATING even though it wasn't my personal cup of tea.

Jul 22 - 04:30 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Poor Danny Glick :(

Jul 22 - 04:50 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

I know . . . I felt that too "poor Danny Glick" and how Stephen King described Susan Norton when SHE appeared at Mark Petrie's window was disheartening as well. . . she was sad, operating against her will; miserable being a vampire. THANKS LINDA B. "HE COMMANDS IT" . . ."He" is KURT BARLOW "with a 'k'."

Jul 22 - 04:59 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Yeah, I love that book. Definitely my favorite by Stephen King. But that has nothing to do with Captain America, lol.

Jul 23 - 03:24 PM

Bigbrother

Big Brother

Mine too, and that scene where Danny is at the window is probably my all time favorite horror scene of all time although I like the Rob Lowe remake better than the Nosferatu knock off original, not to say the original is bad (The kitchen face off between Barlow and Father Callahan is worth it all by itself). Probably my favorite scene in the new one is even though it's hokey special effects when Lowe is in the prison cell or when Mike Ryerson goes flying out the window. I think what I love most about it though is it's the first vampire movie or horror movie in general where the hunters aren't idiots. "We'll meet back here at sunset to continue the hunt." "Why aren't we hunting during the day?" "QUIET YOU!!!!" I also think Mark Petrie is right up there with Van Helsing on my list of vampire hunters. I love how King wasn't afraid to make him the most competent character.

Jul 23 - 05:03 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

I have yet to see the adaptations, but they're on my list. The part where the grave-digger opens Danny's coffin and his eyes are wide open is spine-chilling.

Jul 23 - 05:56 PM

Matt Alex S.

Matias Sabaj

I wanna see it just to laugh my ass off at the guy in the costume,it's so hillarious! :P
and italian Red Skull? that's like a canadian Captain America :P

Jul 22 - 04:15 PM

Superzone

Link O'Fett

I've always wanted to see this, just for the lolz...

Jul 22 - 04:18 PM

Jul 23 - 05:03 PM

Linda B.

Linda Burke

Jul 23 - 05:56 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

I remember watching this in the mid '90s on, um, Fox I think? The one thing that wasn't mentioned was Red Skull's make-up effects (as the Red Skull not the white guy with syphilis) I actually thought they were kind of cool with the splits and cracks in his face. Definitely not good enough to save this direct to VHS garbage but worth noting.

I think that the new one will be bad. Even with Hugo.

Jul 22 - 04:33 PM

infernaldude

Infernal Dude

Ya, they did Superman 4. They were like the second hand store of movies.

Jul 22 - 04:35 PM

Jul 22 - 04:50 PM

Gordon Franklin Terry Sr

Gordon Terry

Jul 22 - 04:59 PM

Sean N.

Sean Nasuti

Captain America: The First Avenger: Awesome!
1990's Captain: WTF went wrong here?
This film portrayed the Captain as a pretty weak superhero and what's the point in calling the main villain Red Skull if he only has a Red Skull for like five minutes.
No this isn't the worst superhero movie of all time and I say that because the actors were at least trying but they were given nothing to work with.
Even so, this movie sucks.

Jul 22 - 05:20 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

I remember renting this when I was young and being eager with excitement because of my love for superheroes. Even as a child, I was disappointed.

Jul 22 - 06:59 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

<em>Let's Be Cops</em>
Let's Be Cops

Video: Riggle, Key, and Wayans Jr.

Box Office