Captain Kidd Reviews

FilmFanatik
March 4, 2012
Charles Laughton is NOT one of my favorite actors. I usually find him dull and boring. The only film he's in that I actually enjoyed was Island of Lost Souls, but that had more to do with the film's atmosphere and that Laughton was well-cast in the role. While he gave a good performance, it had more to do with Laughton as a person that influenced that performance, which is what made it good. I can't say I'm incredibly impressed with Randolph Scott either. I suppose if put in the right role, like Laughton, he'd pull something off good. This all leads me into Captain Kidd, which is about as boring as watching paint dry. The performances are terrible, the story is boring and meanders all over the place and there's really no high seas adventure, which is implied on the film's poster. It's just a boring mess, and I wanted it to end long before it even reached its halfway point. In other words, this is one of the most skippable movies you'll never see.
jjnxn
½ February 23, 2011
With that cast it should have been better. Just sort of chugs along without the sense of derring do required for this kind of adventure. Scott looks ridiculous dressed up as a pirate, Laughton does his best but this is just blah.
½ April 3, 2009
The acting is fairly good, and there is a lot of it. Don't be suprised not to find too much "high seas adventure" but more trasure and plunder. Black and White. focused more on story than much else. but with some beautiful scenes none the less.
March 7, 2011
Would never watch this again.
August 10, 2014
Captain Kidd is an excellent film. It is about the adventures of pirate Captain Kidd that revolve around treasure and treachery. Charles Laughton and Randolph Scott give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Rowland V. Lee did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and adventure. Captain Kidd is a must see.
January 14, 2013
Charles Laughton's performance as the famous titular pirate, here given the task of carrying a treasure ship from India to England, is perhaps the only thing worth looking out for in this otherwise slow paced dull pirate adventure.
½ February 6, 2005
MY FAVORITE ACTOR, CHARLES LAUGHTON, DOES A MAGNIFICENT JOB, AS ALWAYS, IN THIS FINE, BUT A LITTLE BLAND TELLING OF THE CLASSIC TALE. LAUGHTON IS PERFECT FOR THE ROLE, AND HAMS IT UP APPROPRIATELY.