—— Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Carefree Reviews

May 12, 2014
Too much story going on, but still I like the dream scene >>>
rubystevens
rubystevens

December 31, 2013
an odd entry in astaire/rogers filmography with only four dance numbers. ginger's shooting spree is pretty frightening!
December 27, 2013
Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dance to Irving Berlin songs, so is there really much more you need to know? If you do need to know more, Ginger is seeing psychiatrist Fred when the two become romantically involved. This dil mis actually more comedic than most of their films, an there are actually only four dance numbers, but it all still quite enjoyable, if not their best film. Ralph Bellamy co-stars and Belin's "Change Partners" is featured in the film.
December 21, 2013
this fred/ginger mixes music with screwball comedy to much success
December 4, 2013
One of Fred and Ginger's shortest films and the one with the least amount of song and dance numbers (4). This is a screwball comedy if anything else with some funny moment involving Ginger. It may not be their best work together, but it is still an entertaining comedy.

Grade: B
October 12, 2013
Can only barely recommend this, the "psychiatry" in this is a joke, Fred and Ginger really don't dance much together, and the plot is pretty pitiful. Ginger displays more of her great comedic talent, however, and she's wonderful, like usual. Enjoyed her sedated spree of carnage. Astaire is sadly just kind of "there" in this, he's not bad or anything, but the script really doesn't give him any opportunities to shine.
December 23, 2012
a very funny and entertaining movie, ginger was sooo hilarious :)
February 7, 2007
I wish I enjoyed this movie more because it is a fred and ginger and Fred is a psychologist! It made me laugh at times but something didn't quite catch me as special like most other Fred and Gingers do for me
April 26, 2012
Honestly? I don't know if I should be amused, offended, or disturbed.
Connor G.
March 30, 2012
The story was simple and a little weak, but the characters were strong, which is quite different from films nowadays. They need better characters in current films. The ideas behind some of the hypnotism are somewhat distressing, but this is a fairly fun ride.
November 15, 2011
Another excellent number from Rogers and Astaire, with more focus on the story than the song and dance... and with some scenes shot away from the sound stage!
October 26, 2011
Fred Astaire as the not quite believable psycho-analyst ("My observations are as follows: she is a typical pampered female. What she needs instead of a doctor is a good spanking") manages to last just over 10-minutes until breaking out a harmonica and tap dancing in the middle of golf practise. As usual in these films, Ginger is full of contempt for Fred at first but at some point before their first dance together, he'll turn her round, whether he means to or not. This time the contempt - which we should really share as an audience - Fred as a doctor, honestly! - is for his profession as much as anything ("Maybe you were hitting it with your subconscious mind, you know the one that dreams. Smack it once with your conscious."), though of course he is smitten with her from first sight.

The Yam is the only really decent dance number in the film, but it's one of their strongest. A slow-motion dream sequence is also noteworthy, but other than Miss Rogers having a lot of fun on a hypnosis-induced shotgun rampage, smashing glass windows, upsetting judges and kicking policeman, Carefree is unlikely to stick in the memory as one of the pair's best.
sherry9lee
July 26, 2011
I don't really agree with the critics this time, about this slightly forgotten Rogers&Astaire-flick.

I think this is one of the better of their movies.
Ginger Roger's cheeky remarks at Astaire and witty comments are some of what I like the most, along with their dancing performances.
The plot is rather thin, but that doesn't matter. After all it's the kind of movie that people watched back then, expecting to be put in a better mood afterwards, like the Shirley Temple-movies.

Fred Astaire plays a psychoanalyst Dr. Tony Flagg, who is going to analyze the very skeptical Amanda Cooper (played by Ginger Rogers), fiancée of his friend. Roger's is not a big fan of Astair's preconceptions and "helping" attitude so she decides to talk some balderdash just to see what he says. The taunts from her continues to scatter as she meets Dr. Flagg again, but slowly falls in love with him instead of her fiancé.

Some of the extras that doesn't say or do much, but you will recognize if you've seen a few classics before are; Jack Carson (Cat on a hot tin roof), Hattie McDaniel being typically stereocasted as maid (Gone with the wind) and James Finlayson (dozens of Laurel&Hardy shorts).
This movie also contains some fantastic dancing performances, and the chemistry between Rogers and Astair is just right, as usual.
AJ V

September 5, 2010
A very funny dance/musical movie with Fred and Ginger. I really like the story.
gracez
February 8, 2009
Not one of my favorites, but Ginger Rogers actually displays quite a capability for acting that impressed me. (Viewed January 2009)
July 3, 2008
true-to-form Fred & Ginger musical comedy, though this one was a little lacking on the music. worked out well though--tap-dancing golf and a slow-motion dream sequence added some nice highlights. I especially enjoyed how the comedic focus was more on Ginger--lets her show off some hilarious antics and look even more adorable. great as usual.
MECreviews
January 15, 2007
This movie was just on channel TCM. It was not good. Though, I wonder if "hypnosis" works for anything it's claimed to have worked on (Ex: fears, bad habits, etc.).
Lanning :

February 12, 2008
Never saw this before. Why? No idea. I'm a Turner fanatic, for one. Is this the first time they've shown this? Whatever, I'm glad I saw this before I die. There are not a whole lotta movies I'd ever say that about, boy. In fact, there are way more movies where I'd more likely say I'm sorry I actually saw that one before I died. Wasted time, you know? You know that sport? I think it's called something like "urban jumping" or "urban freestyle" or maybe even "urban freestyle jumping"? The stuntmen in the newest James Bond movie do a great job of it. Climbing all over the landscape, sliding down stairs, jumping through windows. Exciting stuff. If I weren't 107, I'd give that sport a try. Anyway, I just want to say that Rogers and Astaire would have made great urban jumpers. They can dance on, over, around, and through anything. As I've said before, for me there is no greater dancing duo in the history of film, and I don't think they'll ever be topped. So glad I finally did see this. And I'm still sorry that Jack Carson never had a greater acting career. He should have been given more chances to play leading roles, as opposed to functioning merely as a character actor. Carson is a first-class act.
lebread
January 8, 2008
My favorite fred/ginger flick.
iumuggle
August 3, 2007
I love the dream sequence and it is the first kiss between Astaire and Rogers. A great build up! And done in slow motion!