Carman: The Champion Reviews

½ March 11, 2013
Synopsis: Orlando Leone was once a champion boxer, but, after losing his title in a big bout, he begins an inner city ministry, where he is known as The Preacher. When larger-than-life pugilist Keshon throws a raucous party at a hotel, Orlando is called in to stop him, and ends up knocking Keshon to the ground. The highly publicized altercation makes Keshon challenge Orlando, who hasn't been in the ring in ten years. With criminals out to get him, a ministry to run, a woman who is reluctant to get involved with a minister, a kid under his wing, and Orlando's dream on the line, it seems that faith is the only thing that can save him...but will it be enough?

Story: 5/5

This one kept me involved until the end. Rarely do I watch an entire movie in one day, but I was flipping back and forth between American Idol on live television and this movie on my DVD player just to see how it ended. It proved to be a rather inspirational tale of faith and strength--of more than one kind--and had positive Christian elements worthy of a Ted Dekker or Karen Kingsbury novel.

Production Values: 5/5

Carman: The Champion was a winner in this department, too. The acting was great; the action scenes were spot-on, both inside and outside the ring; the soundtrack, which featured other CCM artists/bands such as KJ-52 and Skillet alongside a song or two by the movie's titular star, was amazing; and, frankly, I can't come up with any complaints in this department.

Moral Content: 3.5/5

This film may have been made by TBN, but its content is in the same territory as same-rated Christian flick To Save a Life. The violence is very intense; not only do the boxing matches get a bit bloody at times, but there is a combination gunfight/car chase that ends with a fatal explosion. A scene where a bunch of guys gang up on someone in a van and smash his vehicle would likely unnerve kids, especially since a cute Golden Retriever puppy is sitting right next to the victim.
When it comes to sexual content: A woman getting pregnant as a teenage by an older man is discussed. Keshon is a bit of a womanizer, and the party where he and Orlando features some slightly immodestly dressed women dancing a bit provocatively; however, that is all vilified. They're not the only ones, though; the female lead is almost always wearing something low-cut or off-the-shoulder, and a minor female character is seen in a bikini. There are even some shirtless guys, as well.
The only profanity is when Keshon endorses a drink with a profane name, though it is referred to multiple times--including seeing the name onscreen--during the scene. That, along with the implied drug usage, is shown as those characters' downfalls; still, everything I mentioned in this section makes this inappropriate for young kids and even overly sensitive teens and adults.

Conclusion: I was really surprised by this one! Well-made Christian movies are hard to find; for all the good ones, such as those by the Kendricks, you have inane dreck like C Me Dance, which was tops on the list of the worst movies I saw last year. Still, Carman: The Champion deserves a spot alongside The Imposter and October Baby as one of my favorite Christian movies, ever. Though not for children because of content--I hope you read what I said above before deciding to watch this with your family!--for most other folks, this movie is a definite Champion.

Score: 4.5/5
June 12, 2011
I saw this film & called Carman Ministies shortly after it came out to complain about the "problems" regarding the "Pastor" that Caman portrayed in the film as well as some objectionable content like profanity in the film. I never got to speak with Carman but was given a "run-around" by some staff person. If you're interested in a "Rocky-knock-off" starring an alleged Christian singer who comes off as a 3rd rate actor (wooden performance) as well as a profane attempt at a Christian message, then watch it! For die-hard Carman fans only!
½ October 14, 2010
Just a quick rating of a film seen in the past.
June 20, 2009
VERY good!!1 loved the whole thing. this movie has it all:adventure, romance, action. very good family movie!!!!!!
½ January 4, 2009
I only really watched this movie because of Patricia Manterola. The movie is not all bad, but it is not good either. Released as a Christian movie, it does not have all that much religion in it. The movie is all about doing the right thing and love story. On a personal note by being friends with Patty (Manterola) I have distaste for Carman now that I know how he acted behind the scenes (but that is a different story). It is a movie that almost everyone can live without. Sorry Patty!
½ July 24, 2008
If you are into the sport of boxing check this out, good fight action, good plot line.
½ June 16, 2008
June 6, 2008
Carman Rules. I love him growing up. In this he shows fighting for thouse u care about and what u beleive in is better than fighting for money and fame.
February 2, 2008
This movie was sorta choppy, the storyline didn't flow very well but I understood it.
December 14, 2007
my Fav Christan artest
August 17, 2007
The only Italian boxer I want to see is played by Sly Stallone.
September 29, 2007
A good movie with a positive message.
½ August 22, 2007
All I have to say is that he got his mack on!
August 15, 2007
Carman is not only a great singer but a great actor.
June 2, 2007
the very best of the best
March 23, 2007
awesome & great....!!
½ March 22, 2007
its boxing need i say more
½ March 9, 2007
The best ever! Carman is a Christian Music artist and an actor (i guess) and it's really cool.
February 23, 2007
This is a wonderful movie and I just love Carman!!!
½ February 17, 2007