• Directed By:
    Roman Polanski
    In Theaters:
    Dec 16, 2011 Limited
    On DVD:
    Mar 20, 2012
  • Sony Pictures Classics

After a good start, becomes utterly pointless and contrived

I wanted to like this film. But it became obvious that there would be a predictable, ridiculous cycle that would occur throughout the film. Pleasant talk, moment of conflict, antagonism leads to leaving, some ridiculous reason to head back into the apartment. Wash, rinse and repeat several times.

The actors are mostly great. Waltz has the deepest character and is easily the one who has the most fun. The rest had moments of truth and contrivances that made this film completely unrealistic and pointless jabbering. It was unbearably boring after the first promising 20 minutes.

So are we to believe that a parent would just put a hamster out in the middle of a city street? This is the kind of annoying, contrived dialogue that is contained in this film solely to continue the pointless conversation. It repeats most of the points the film is making several times so that you're wondering why the characters are still there when you got the point ages ago.

The actors are very talented. The film has some funny moments. But for the most part it is pretentious, self-important tripe.
Dick B.
11-9-2012 10:09 PM

Thread Replies

Please log in to participate in this forum.

Medusa Jordan

Medusa Jordan

I agree totally, but I think MAYBE the social niceties at all costs etc are the sorts of things that these kind of people do. Everything has to be terribly civilised or their social status will slip.

Apr 16 - 10:52 AM

Find us on:                     
Help | About | Jobs | Critics Submission | Press | API | Licensing | Mobile