Critics Consensus: Carrie Won't Replace the Original

Plus, Escape Plan and The Fifth Estate are both uneven.

This week at the movies, we've got a telekinetic teen (Carrie, starring Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore); a pair of jail-breakers (Escape Plan, starring Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger); and a document leaker (The Fifth Estate, starring Benedict Cumberbatch and Daniel Brühl). What do the critics have to say?

Carrie

49%

The original Carrie holds a special place in the hearts of horror buffs, so a remake is inherently fraught with peril. And critics say that while director Kimberly Peirce turns in a respectable effort, there's little in this new Carrie that feels necessary. Chloe Grace Moretz stars as the title character, a teenage outcast with a demanding mom and telekinetic powers. Will the snobby kids at Carrie's school learn not to mess with her? The pundits say Carrie is competently made, but does little to distinguish itself from Brian De Palma's beloved original film. (Check out this week's Total Recall, in which we run down some memorable horror movie remakes.)

Escape Plan

49%

God bless Sly and Arnie; it's pretty inspiring to see the 1980s' two biggest action stars still slugging it out well into their sixties. That said, critics feel Escape Plan isn't the best vehicle for their talents; despite a few decent thrills, it's a middling action flick with a flimsy plot and an overall lack of panache. Stallone stars as a security expert who's been wrongly imprisoned, so he teams up with a fellow inmate (Schwarzenegger) and devises a plan to bust out. The pundits say the stars keep Escape Plan watchable, but they're ultimately defeated by inert pacing and a by-the-numbers script.

The Fifth Estate

37%

Like The Social Network, The Fifth Estate is a ripped-from-the-headlines drama about how new technology is impacting our lives. Unfortunately, critics say that despite an impressive performance from Benedict Cumberbatch, this dramatic retelling of the WikiLeaks story is ill-prepared to tackle the issues it raises. Julian Assange (Cumberbatch) and hacker Daniel Domscheit-Berg (Daniel Brühl) create a site to publish clandestine information. However, when WikiLeaks scores a series of big scoops that infuriate the powerful, the site's founders become divided on their mission and motives. The pundits say The Fifth Estate is a mostly skin-deep examination of the ethical questions that Assange raised, one that fails to bring its characters to life, despite the best efforts of a strong cast.

Also opening this week in limited release:

Comments

L

L .

Eh.

Oct 17 - 04:45 PM

The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut

Not surprised about "Carrie" being mediocre. I always thought Chloe Moretz was too pretty for the part. They didn't even bother uglifying her.

Oct 17 - 04:48 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Yeah and in the previews she just doesn't give off a social outcast vibe. It looks like she's doing her best at imitating a social outcast vibe. Would like to see Julianne Moore play the role of her mother though. She looks like she's nailing it in the trailer.

Oct 17 - 10:26 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

That's because she CAN'T be uglyfied.

Oct 18 - 09:19 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Which means that she was not the right girl for the part. Carrie's not supposed to be a hot girl.

Oct 18 - 11:17 AM

L

L .

That bitch isn't that good looking.

Oct 18 - 12:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I haven't really noticed if she's attractive. Because she's a child.

Oct 18 - 12:08 PM

Morgan Freeman

Morgan Freeman

She's 17 right now I believe.

Oct 18 - 12:43 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

You know, you can acknowledge a person's beauty without being attracted to them.

Oct 18 - 02:51 PM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

She is 16, Morgan.

Oct 18 - 07:30 PM

The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut

I said she was "pretty", as in not strange-looking or acting in a way that would imply she is a social outcast. I did not say she was "attractive".

Oct 18 - 07:40 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Speak for yourself; I've wanted to tap that for a while.

Oct 18 - 11:33 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

But only in my head of course.

Oct 18 - 11:37 PM

Norbert Soltész

Norbert Soltész

I'd tap that.

Oct 20 - 10:34 AM

Dave J

Dave J

There's no golden rule that the actress has to be ugly in order to play "Carrie" since she's supposed to be an outcast! Although, it might do well since it's not exactly competing with another horror film! Also, Sissy Spacek was really 26 years old who was playing a 17 year old while Chloe Grace Moretz is only 16 playing a 17 year old! Regardless, just like the remake of "Nightmare On Elm Street" it's only intended for it's new horror seeking audience!

Oct 18 - 03:48 PM

James Miller

James Miller

Contrary to popular belief, outcasts are not the only ones that get bullied. I wouldn't be surprised if they are just a small percentage of the people being bullied. As for being ugly, even the beautiful are bullied if they don't fit a person's perceived notion of normal, ESPECIALLY in this day & age. And not all bullies bully people that are abnormal. Sometimes the ones with a good life, good family, & good friends are picked on because some bullies tend to be people with their own problems , so they want to make others feel as bad as they do. This remake fits the mold of today's bullying unlike the original which focused on that time period's bullying.

Oct 19 - 03:55 PM

Zack

Teddy Lupin

About Carrie--If a film is well made, it is well made. The remake wasn't set out to replace the original--it was made to bring it to new audiences, and if it is a good film, then forget about whether or not it should replace the original and just judge the film on its own!

Oct 17 - 05:04 PM

Stewart H.

Stewart Hoffman

I agree. Did they honestly set out to 'replace the original' ?? No - it's a good story that can be re-imagined every once in a while for a new generation. After Science Fiction, I think horror films show their age more than most genres. Well, except for maybe Alien ? that film still scares the c#@! out of me! But 1976's Carrie just isn't going to relate to today?s younger demographic.

Oct 18 - 07:04 AM

Duane Ullery

Duane Ullery

The issue seems to be, though, that it wasn't re-imagined. It's the same movie, only set in 2013. And I strenuously disagree that kids today wouldn't relate well to the 1976 film. Bullying is bullying and the depiction of an outcast girl being singled out for abuse in in DePalma's classic is still spot on. There are still high school proms and they are still of the utmost importance socially to the students who attend them. There are still social circles and the popular, good looking kids still terrorize the unpopular, average to unattractive ones. I doubt there's a kid over the age of fourteen today who couldn't relate to the original Carrie.

Oct 18 - 03:09 PM

Zack

Teddy Lupin

I'm not saying that the 1976 one isn't relate-able. The STORY itself is extremely relate-able, and whether you read the book or watch this one or watch the 1976 one, the story is the same.

What I AM saying, though, is that not every teen or younger person, like myself, has been exposed to a 1970's "horror" film. I wasn't born in the 60's and I'm not a movie buff that would know all about the older film, nor are many other teens like myself. Why is it that almost every user on here is a film snob? I don't get it. If a movie is good, it's good because of its own merits, and it should be judged likewise. It shouldn't be given a bad name because it is "unnecessary".

Oct 18 - 05:57 PM

Stewart H.

Stewart Hoffman

I get what you're saying Duane. Let me clarify because I didn't make my point clear. Sure, teenagers today will relate to the high school setting ? the bullying etc. But I wonder if they'd even give the 76 version a chance? By today's standards it's pretty tame for a horror film.

Oct 19 - 07:26 AM

Blondie

No Name

Teddy, we're on a movie website. Tell me, what did you expect?

Oct 20 - 06:21 AM

Janson Jinnistan

Another sad-ass week of all-rotten wide releases, while the obviously more interesting films (12 Years a Slave, All is Lost, Kill Your Darlings) get relegated to the art-house. I also want to see Binoche's take on the role that Isabelle Adjani conquered 20 years ago, and Bruno Dumont is one of the more interesting young French directors. And LOL at Diablo Cody. L. OH! L. Seriously. Can't stop the chuckles.

Oct 17 - 05:29 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Watching a Diablo Cody film is such a predictable chore. Someone is going through something taboo and that someone has people support them through it and the Taboo curtain rises and Surprise the movie is really about how nice it is to fall in love. Barf Barf Barf.

The worst is that Diablo Cody thinks being "supportive" is ignoring the life lesson bit about how Actions have Consequences.

Oct 17 - 10:29 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I don't know. I do know she likes the toils of young self-absorbed characters who discover that a world exists beyond their ego, and I suppose for some people this is a necessary revelation. (The Cody film is Paradise, btw, her directing debut.)

Oct 18 - 09:08 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Wow critics have not been nice to her since Juno.

Oct 18 - 09:15 AM

Typhon

Typhon Q

These movies are all too mediocre. I'm surprised that 12 Years a Slave isn't getting a wider release.

Oct 17 - 07:35 PM

Dave J

Dave J

Like other movies before it, it's limited release on the first week, wider release perhaps on the second or third week!

Oct 18 - 01:26 PM

RoHiT

Good Looking RoHiT

Yawn.

Oct 17 - 08:26 PM

Jon Cox

Jon Cox

there's nothing else to see so I'll check out the 'Carrie' remake

Oct 17 - 09:15 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Oct 17 - 10:26 PM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Oct 17 - 10:29 PM

Oct 18 - 09:08 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Wow critics have not been nice to her since Juno.

Oct 18 - 09:15 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Damn, I thought Carrie had a lot of potential, given the director and star (then again, I suppose a lot of people do have a point. As talented as she is and no matter how much they try to make her look like an outcast, Chloe Moretz is just too pretty to play the unpopular girl. If she had been in my high school I guarantee half the guys would have fallen head over heels for her).

Oct 18 - 01:51 AM

Blondie

No Name

I watched the original Carrie last night. I highly doubt it would get anywhere close to topping the original.

Oct 18 - 03:41 AM

Oct 18 - 05:57 PM

Stewart H.

Stewart Hoffman

Oct 19 - 07:26 AM

Blondie

No Name

Teddy, we're on a movie website. Tell me, what did you expect?

Oct 20 - 06:21 AM

Willem DaPerson

Willem DaPerson

And I'm just sitting here, waiting for 12 Years A Slave. All Is Lost also looks brilliant.

Oct 18 - 08:34 AM

Oct 18 - 09:08 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Wow critics have not been nice to her since Juno.

Oct 18 - 09:15 AM

Brad and Netflix

Bradly Martin

Wow critics have not been nice to her since Juno.

Oct 18 - 09:15 AM

Vits

Vicente Torres

That's because she CAN'T be uglyfied.

Oct 18 - 09:19 AM

Esteban Martinez

Esteban Martinez

Oct 18 - 11:17 AM

L

L .

That bitch isn't that good looking.

Oct 18 - 12:07 PM

Janson Jinnistan

I haven't really noticed if she's attractive. Because she's a child.

Oct 18 - 12:08 PM

Morgan Freeman

Morgan Freeman

She's 17 right now I believe.

Oct 18 - 12:43 PM

Vits

Vicente Torres

Oct 18 - 02:51 PM

Joshua Henderson

Joshua Henderson

She is 16, Morgan.

Oct 18 - 07:30 PM

The Juggernaut

The Juggernaut

Oct 18 - 07:40 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

Speak for yourself; I've wanted to tap that for a while.

Oct 18 - 11:33 PM

Christopher256G

Christopher Greffin

But only in my head of course.

Oct 18 - 11:37 PM

Norbert Soltész

Norbert Soltész

I'd tap that.

Oct 20 - 10:34 AM

Vits

Vicente Torres

CARRIE was destined to fail. Not because it's a remake of a classic. But because there already was another remake in 2002. And there was a sequel that basically copied the original. So this 2013 version is technically the 4th version of this story. Of course it's unnecessary.

HAUNTER sounds like a horror version of GROUNDHOG DAY. Is that good or bad?

Oct 18 - 09:22 AM

King  S.

King Simba

It doesn't help that other films have also been using the same premises. Just last year we got Chronicle, which covered a lot of the same beats. The remake (or re-adaptation or reboot or whatever it's being called) needed to do something more with the story to help it stand out rather than simply retreading the original, which seems to be the main complaint a lot are having against the film.

Oct 18 - 10:44 AM

Valmordas

Val Mordas

The Carrie trailer effectively showed you the whole film in 2 minutes anyway, and it didn't look that great.

Oct 18 - 09:28 AM

satula26

Chris Satula

The trailer for the original actually gave away the plot just as much as this one did, if not more.

Oct 18 - 11:13 AM

Blondie

No Name

Doesn't mean it wasn't still shocking and great anyway. This is technically the fourth time we're seeing this.

Oct 18 - 12:01 PM

satula26

Chris Satula

Agreed.
I just don't get why people bitch and moan that the trailer showed the whole movie when mostly everyone knows how the story goes anyway.

Oct 18 - 12:20 PM

Ese  .

Ese Wei

So almost as bad as Man of Steel. Gotcha.

Oct 18 - 10:35 AM

King  S.

King Simba

Oct 18 - 10:44 AM

Nine Movies That Bring the Funk

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Watch Arrested Development

SpongeBob's Back!
SpongeBob's Back!

See trailer for his 3D adventure

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships