Carrie

Carrie Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 16, 2013
Somewhat forgettable horror remake, however I enjoyed it more than the original!
Josh L

October 19, 2013
Not really a "reimagining" because there's only a handful of new scenes. This is almost too slick of a remake. The special effects are sometimes too obvious and in your face. The acting is only so so, but Chloe was a solid Carrie. Julianne Moore was decent too, but everyone else is instantly forgettable. Everyone knows the plot to this so I'll just say the infamous prom scene is not as awesome as I had hoped it would be with new technology. I expected more, but this was entertaining for what it is. It's just unnecessary. Go watch the original.
Wildaly M

January 11, 2014
Don't know why this got remade. The final scene is just bad. The only thing interesting about this is Julianne Moore. What a waste.
Carlos M

January 18, 2014
This passable remake is proof that you can redo a great work in a different way and still obtain an efficient result, even if far from the same level of quality - and most of its faults can be attributed to stylistic excesses and obvious inconsistencies that appear in the end.
YodaMasterJedi
YodaMasterJedi

January 21, 2014
three stars...
Everett J

January 9, 2014
Horror movie remakes are very hit and miss, and more times than not they fall in the "eh, that was ok" category. "Carrie" falls right into the heap as it isn't bad, but it's not great either. It's a remake of the 70's classic "Carrie" with Chloe Grace Moretz playing the title character. If you don't know what it's about then just go watch the remake(or read the book). Well actually, just watch the trailer because it gives 90 percent of this movie away. Now it's been decades since I've sat and watch the original. I remember liking it, but I was never a huge fan of it either. I can't really compare the two since it's been so long since I've seen it, but I think in 10 years when I think of "Carrie", I'll still be thinking of Sissy Spacek. Now, Moretz does good, but Julienne Moore, as her mother, steals the movie. She isn't in it a whole lot, but when she is, WOW. She plays crazy very good. The best thing about the movie for me is one of the death scenes at the end involving a windshield. It's pretty awesome and one of the 5 best kills of 2013 for sure. Is it worth watching? Sure! But don't expect a classic like the original, or a movie that's really gonna stick with you. But believe me there are a lot worse movies out there you can spend 90 minutes watching.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

January 8, 2014
You will know her name.

Good popcorn movie! The film really gets into the emotional side of the story, we really get to know Carrie and get a sense of her loneliness. This in part is due to an excellent performance by Chloe Grace Moretz in what I really think is her best performance to date. She portrays the emotions of Carrie with such ease that you really feel for the character and think of her as a real person. But when it switches gears and her evil side appears, Moretz provides a very chilling performance. We are also given Julianne Moore as Carrie's mother. From the start of the film and until the very end, Moore shows just how unhinged Margaret White is, and she does it perfectly. Her performances leaves the viewer really unsettled with her dead and haunting performance. Overall Carrie is a very well-done and perfectly modernized remake that lets us get in touch emotionally with our lead, plenty of bloody moments, and most of all, amazing performances by Moretz and Moore.

A reimagining of the classic horror tale about Carrie White (ChloŽ Grace Moretz), a shy girl outcast by her peers and sheltered by her deeply religious mother (Julianne Moore), who unleashes telekinetic terror on her small town after being pushed too far at her senior prom. Based on the best-selling novel by Stephen King, Carrie is directed by Kimberly Peirce with a screenplay by Lawrence D. Cohen and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa.
Apeneck F

October 15, 2013
I thought about this for a few days before writing, having read the book "Carrie" when it first came out, and having stood in line for the original film like an insane horror fanboy: and I think this is a better movie ("Dems sum hard words in these parts, mister!")("That's right.")
What's better? The directing, the writing, the photography, the CAST.
But nobody's gonna own that now, the shadow of the original looms too large. But once they see it at home, with their cats, or dogs, or kids, or parents nearby, at home in the dark, in their underwear, then they will see.
It's a better movie.
Liam G

October 16, 2012
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
Cory T

October 24, 2013
I've always contended that 1976's 'Carrie' is a monumentally overrated piece of horror cinema. It is overwrought, visually ugly and the jump-scare beat at the gravesite is completely transparent. The same criticisms can be lobbed at this lackluster remake which basically recreates all the hallmark scenes (the "plug it up" shower taunt, the "they're all gonna laugh at you" speech, the ghastly prom massacre, etc.) verbatim without the portent. Moretz is miscast as the mousy outcast because he is too photogenic and outwardly exuberant to play someone as introverted and frankly frail as Carrie. Moretz could conceivably be nominated prom queen (she looks like a runway model in her svelte dress) and she researches telekinesis like she is a Stan Lee mutant. For a cautionary tale about the menstrual coming-of-age, it is surprisingly toothless and the bullies are not nearly as mean-spirited to evoke our ire (their first infraction: they slightly cackle when she improperly serves a volleyball). Even Carrie's compassionate classmates are sanctimonious and we are never convinced of their earnestness. The supposedly "magnanimous" gym teacher is actually quite inappropriate when she derides the female students for their "shitty" behavior and she fawns over Carrie's teenage date by referring to him as "dreamy". The film careens far too breathlessly to the centerpiece onstage and when the moment arrives, it is heavy-handed with Dutch angles and instant replays. Hardly cathartic, the deaths are lame 'Final Destination' send-offs. In terms of Stephen King adaptations, Frank Darabont will always reign supreme and the manipulative soap opera 'Carrie' is probably not a prime candidate for screen translation considering it has failed numerous times now.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

October 24, 2013
This retelling of Brian De Palma classic of the same name is way too familiar to the original. Aside from a few changes here and there, it is an exact movie. The film is modernized, considering that the original looks a bit dated. However this film just fails to capture the essence of the original as it navigates predictable territory. The film has one good aspect, the performance of its lead, Chloe Grace Moretz, who is great as Carrie White, unfortunately the rest of the film feels so bland, and unimpressive because it's almost like De Palma's classic. Carrie as a whole is yet again another unnecessary remake that we don't need. The film relies too much on CGI effects and it cheapens the terror. Moretz is great in the part, but that's about it. This film resembles way too much the Psycho remake due to the fact that it copies nearly every scene from the original. Director Kimberly Peirce has made far better movies in her career, but Carrie is a very forgettable one. Fans of De Palma's film ought to avoid this one, as there's nothing new here. The film is more of the same, with a hipper, modern take on the classic. In turn it doesn't do anything to really thrill and terrifying its audience, and I think it's a great shame because this remake, considering its cast, could have been something truly good. Instead it's a mediocre affair that never succeeds at realizing it potential, instead opting to copy the original almost in its entirety. Even if this remake is mediocre, it's better than most that have come out recently, but if you do decide to watch it, don't expect anything worthwhile. You'll most likely be disappointed, especially if you loved the original picture.
Michael S

October 21, 2013
If I had to describe the latest retelling of Stephen King's "Carrie" in one word, I'd use competent, though I could just as easily use unnecessary. While nothing is wrong with this Kimberly Peirce directed remake on a technical level, it's a film that pales in comparison to Brian DePalma's 1976 masterpiece (expected). It also seems content being a rather half-baked companion to a much better work and offers nothing new to those familiar with the story.

Chloe Moretz as the titular Carrie and Julianne Moore as her mother (both iconic, Oscar nominated characters portrayed by Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie) are the film's strongest assets. They are dependable actors, and they are strong here as per usual. The screenplay tries to inject more emotion and sympathy into the characters for fresh development's sake, but while this doesn't always work or elevate the film, the two leads are game throughout. Also, "Carrie" was shot by Rian Johnson regular Steve Yedlin, and as far as horror remakes are concerned... I can't think of one that's better looking.

As much as I want to avoid making comparisons to the "Carrie" from 1976, it's inevitable, and this is where this version falters. As much as I like Moretz and her commendable performance here, Spacek was masterful at portraying the happless victim; an uncompromising social outcast that you believe from her now iconic opening shower sequence. You also always feel her pain. I didn't buy Moretz; not nearly as much. She lacks that certain vulnerability that Sissy had in spades, and it doesn't help that you associate her with the confidence of other roles. Further disconnect sets in when you realize that even her adversaries are far less vicious here; decreasing the involvement and the desire to see their inevitable comeuppance. Pretty much everything in between is a rehash of what we already know and have already seen, this time through a modern lens.

The film's grand prom finale is notable for it's craft and is both exciting and satisfying. It's the strongest moment of the picture for obvious, visceral reasons... but that isn't the highest of praise. It has been done before and won't surprise anyone. Like the rest of the film, it's just going through the paces.

"Carrie" isn't a bad movie. But who is it for? I would really only recommend it to those who absolutely detest older movies (god help them) or die hard "Carrie" fans who can't help but breakdown and compare yet another screen version. Even then I'd suggest yet another rewatch of the original. It's completely serviceable sure, but in a few ways it doesn't even outclass the 2002 television version of the story.

Horror escapism should never have this much baggage, but that's what happens when you toy with perfection.
KJ P

October 18, 2013
This remake of "Carrie" is not only a retelling, but pretty much an exact copy of the original script. I do not normally watch remakes and notice that not a thing has been altered, but here, that is completely true. Besides a couple scenes added here and there, it really does feel like the exact sam picture. I must admit that the technical aspects of this film, along with it's solid cast, make it a very watchable film, but that can't help the viewers who are fans of the original classic horror film. I loved the original "Carrie," and I cannot say I am let down in any way by this, because it played it completely safe. The dialogue is fine, the performances are good, the effects are average, and the cinematography seemed a bit stale, but what I will remember is the editing in the final act of the film. It really does pull you into her world once again and the slow motion is awesome! "Carrie" is nothing special in any way, but it's a fine watch on halloween if you have nothing else to do.
Gimly M

December 2, 2013
This 2013 remake of De Palma's classic 1976 film (itself based on a Steven King novel) is both superior and inferior in certain aspects. Obviously the effects and audio/visual quality have been stepped up dramatically in the past (nearly) four decades, but this is in part responsible for the loss of the "rawness" felt in the original. The crucified Jesus that was so creepy first time around, what have looked cheesy and out of place in this incarnation.

This update in technology does play well in ways of storytelling as well, the introduction of things like the camera phone in this revamp works wonders, opening up avenues that simply weren't available to be realistically conveyed in the 70's. But all this does occasionally cross the line from well-intended-expansion into overly-drawn-out.

Of course there's the biggest question: Can Chloe Grace Moretz pull of Carrie White?

The answer: Not really.

She has proven herself a more than capable young actress in the past, and does so again here in a completely new role for her. Unfortunately, there's just zero "Carrie" in her. Not because, unlike the character, she's conventionally pretty (although that is another factor) but because she just doesn't ooze "victimised", which is an integral part of the Carrie role. Rendering the titular character as less of a believable underdog, and more of an adolescent tantrum thrower of apocalyptic proportions.

A not at all bad film, and even somewhat enjoyable. But one that ultimately begs the ever repeated question of 99% of remakes: "Why bother?"

53%

-Gimly
Shawn M

May 31, 2013
Had some cool elements, Chloe has one hell of a career in her future! Not the best movie but still entertaining and worth watching.
StonedMagician99
StonedMagician99

October 28, 2013
Just because the themes present in Stephen King's debut novel are timeless doesn't mean that they should be presented in multiple films. Brian DePalma's 1976 version is generally considered to be a horror classic, so director Kimberly Pierce had a lot to live up to.

The new version does do a few things differently, the best example being the renewed focus on Carrie. The 70s adaptation paid equal attention to all sides, which resulted in insufficient time to actually get to know Carrie as a character. The remake does not make the same mistake. While there are of course some scenes that focus on her antagonistic classmates, all events of importance are seen squarely through Carrie's eyes. A little extra character development goes a long way here. The fact that Chloe Moretz delivers a better performance than Sissy Spacek doesn't hurt, either.

That being said, the pre-prom drama is simply not as compelling as the original, despite the more focused screenplay. I quickly found myself growing bored, impatiently tapping my foot in anticipation of the defining moment. But once that moment is reached, the film truly outdoes itself. But by then, it's too little, too late.
Dann M

October 25, 2013
Chloe Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore lead the cast in the remake of the cult classic Carrie. Adapted from the Stephen King novel, after being ridiculed and pranked social outcast Carrie White takes revenge on her high school class. The writing is especially good; particularly at developing the story and at building suspense. And, Moretz does an excellent job at making Carrie a compelling and sympathetic character. Additionally, director Kimberly Peirce does an impressive job at staying character focused. Modernized for a new audience, Carrie is a chilling horror film.
Cinema-Maniac
Cinema-Maniac

October 18, 2013
The most difficult part about judging a remake is comparison to what came before is expected. In a way the same applies to the remake of Carrie without a negative nor positive position. If you've seen the original Brain De Palma classic this more stylized reimagining brings no noticeable changes to the story. Nothing is wrong with that, but unless you haven't seen the original this remake does not feel distinct in anyway along with missing a heart.

Carrie is about Carrie White, a shy girl outcast by her peers and sheltered by her deeply religious mother. For anyone who seen the original Carrie knows how this remake plays out without having to see it. Now reducing the film score for that is rather difficult to do as well. It updates the material to fit the modern era when bullying is more relevant than ever. The script shows a clear understanding on the harsher side of school social ladder; blurring the line of what is done at school is no more different than what is done outside of that environment. Carrie White love hate relationship with her damaged mother is written more realistically. Becoming a case of an overprotective mother who lost to her mental breakdowns. This in turns adds a layer how a parent sees the world can damage their child perception of it. Understanding Carrie duality even further in her tragedy. A welcome addition is Carrie White exploring her powers and learning about them. Secondary characters are well rounded contributing to the story without feeling shoehorned in. This remake doesn't change the story significantly, but what it has going it is time. This story, the characters, the themes, and the outcome are as true today as they were in 1976.

For the sensitive subject it talks about narrative decisions are questionable. One being the character Chris Hargensen uploads a video on the internet that makes Carrie White a laughing stock of the school; however, it's never brought up how technology can damage the victim. Cyber-bullying altogether is glossed over leaving an area of the subject unexplored. Chris Hargensen character itself is also another highlighted issue with the film. This character specifically is written like a single personality cartoon. Being overly cruel is the point of this character, but just like how it glossed over cyber-bullying this brings over simplification to a non-simple issue. She's cruel just because the film needs her to be in order for any plot to exist. Flimsy is the explanation for Carrie White gaining her power. According to the film explanation males in the family are excluded without solid reasoning and the reason giving for the powers is lazy. Everything feels fabricated to get it single point across not working as well as it could have. Eliminating multiple interpretations in the process, a more thought provoking stance on the subjects, fleshed out characters accurately representing teenagers, and most of all disregards logic despite showing a clear present of technology.

Chloe Moretz plays an outcast well showing her abilities to portray any kind of role. She's sympathetic properly bringing her own interpretation to the character. Expressing a range of emotion with little words physically embodying the role. Getting across allot with little words. Julianne Moore is equally as excellent if not the true show stealer. Moore's comes across as being loving, fierce, psychotic and sympathetic. A multilayered role she brings to it to life that doesn't paint her entirely as an antagonist. The supporting cast performances are a singular note only portraying a basic archetype from the jock, the bully, the concern and caring young women, the adult, the dumb principal, and so forth. Kimberly Pierce direction is the laziest contribution to the film. Afraid to follow her own ambition the film visually resembles the original Carrie without a heart. Pierce's direction is most effective in the prom scene where she brings her own flavor to the story. Her take on the prom scene is more brutal and bigger scaled easily where the most emotion she puts in the film.

Carrie is made by three talented women both on and off camera who accomplished what they set out to do even if differentiation to the original was a failure. Everything feels dispassionate despite a clear stance on the stance of its subject. Carrie is best experience for anyone who never a film version of it. It's more theatrical with CG whereas the original is more reality with practical effects. This remake fails to bring a new spin to the story; however, it's a story that remain effective with a fine cast.

Defense in casting Chloe Moretz:

Whenever this remake is brought the casting of Chloe Moretz is often seen as a negative one. Purely out reason because she is (and I'm not kidding) "too beautiful" to be an outcast. Now this tells me preconceived notion of the film will misguide some opinions. Unless living in a theatrical world bullying, neglect, and several other of life harsher realities apply to everyone regardless of looks. Also last time I checked it never specifically stated that Carrie White is ugly in the novel. Themes and problems are universal, but looks cannot apply to everyone because how differently everyone sees the world. Taking away something from the film purely because of a person's look means the obvious subject of the film can be lost and is no different than what the bullies in this film do.