Carrie's War Reviews

½ December 6, 2012
Sweetly performed by a lovely Keeley Fawcett, Carrie's War is sharply scripted and positively acted, but still the ending is unsatisfying.
½ June 4, 2007
Early in the production, Carrie is told that to remove or destroy a skull kept in the library is to doom the house and its occupants. In a moment of anger and fear, she throws the skull into a stream--one, incidentally, that she's been told is sacred. She carries the burden of what she believes this causes around with her for easily thirty years (I don't believe they tell us when the framing bits are set, but I might easily have missed it).

The war of the title is World War II. Carrie and her younger brother, as well as untold numbers of literary children, are evacuated from London into the countryside to get out of the way of the German bombs. They end up in a small town in Wales near a house called Druid's Bottom. (This, of course, is [i]enormously[/i] funny to the children.)

Of course, we all Learn a Valuable Lesson or three over the course of things. We explore the nature of love, the nature of belief, and the effects of war. We also learn how helpless children are in the face of all this. Carrie and Nick have no say in whether they'll leave London, who will take them once they do, and whether or not they'll go stay with their grandparents in Scotland instead. Carrie can't help those who need the helping most--she is able, in a minor way, to help someone, but only by Giving Her the Courage to Make Her Own Choices. (And a few little white lies.)

Carrie is supposed to be fifteen, I believe, or possibly fourteen. She seems younger, however, despite the fact that the actress playing her was older. She's innocent, possibly even naive, especially compared to the cynical Albert Sandwich--probably aged faster by the burden of that name!