Carry On: Don't Lose Your Head (Carry on Pimpernel) Reviews

September 16, 2011
Not one of my favourite Carry on films, manly because I thought that for once, they'd got the casting wrong, a good Kenneth Williams makes up for an unusually poor Sid James performance though.
September 6, 2008
One of the more funny Carry on films.
DrLappos
½ July 18, 2009
They had really started to go downhill by the time this little gem came out and it went a long way in returning the carry on series to the highs it once held in British film history...Still bloody silly but I do love them all.
½ May 6, 2015
One of the wittiest of the "Carry On" comedies.
September 8, 2013
I always have enjoyed the Carry On movies, they are a lot of fun and there are some very talented actors in the series. There are some stinkers like England, Emmanuelle and Columbus sure, but there are gems like Screaming (my personal favourite), Up the Khyber and Camping. Don't Lose Your Head is up there with the best entries of the series. For me it wasn't perfect, Jim Dale is wasted and Jacqueline's harp scene is cringe-worthy. However, it is tightly directed, never dull and is beautifully designed. The music is also suitably rousing, and while simple the story spoofs The Scarlet Pimpernel in a very sharp and hilarious manner. The writing and the cast though were what made Don't Lose Your Head as good as it was. Right from the names, brilliant comic incidents and entendres the gags are plentiful and the memorable quotes endless, it is really a very wittily and hilariously written film. The bloody sight exchange is a scream in particular. Sidney James is superb(even when camping it up he still manages to make for a dashing fop), of the Carry On series I think he has only been better in Khyber. Kenneth Williams steals every scene and possibly even the entire film, his comic timing is spot on and it is worth seeing him for his facial expressions alone. Charles Hawtrey has some great lines and delivers them with utter comic conviction, while Joan Sims also excels as a very aptly-named character. Overall, very good and one of the best of an entertaining series. 8/10
October 25, 2012
A parody of 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' that doesn't have all that much going for it. The cast are generally good, but the gags are unfunny, forced, and fall flat. The camp villain of the piece does little to elevate the proceedings.