Carry on Spying (Agent Oooh!) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carry on Spying (Agent Oooh!) Reviews

March 2, 2016
Got love Kenneths performance
½ December 19, 2015
A cut-down carry on team of only 5 big names play goofball spies. With Williams and Hawtrey as part of that five, this one is overly camp for my liking. It's nice to see their portrayal of 60's Vienna though. One of the weakest carry on's I've seen.
½ January 21, 2013
More of the usual from this series. This one satirizes the spy films that, became popular in the early 1960s. Perhaps my Dad would have gone to see this at the Gaumont Theatre in Shepherd's Bush, London?
October 23, 2015
Another silly CO movie. This was not bad, though it does go all over the place.
½ March 14, 2015
Believe it or not, my very first Carry On movie and I selected the film Cubby Broccoli tried to shut down. Kenneth Williams is hilarious as inept spy Simpkins who manages to win just by being inept and lucky (much like Sterling Archer). Apparently this is the first Carry On to feature the catch phrase "stop messing about." Great fun all around and I've got Carry On Cleo up next
June 15, 2014
Cribbins and Windsor together were a real winning team. The rest was amusing Sunday afternoon fare.
November 26, 2013
Kenneth Williams was always wary of carrying a film, but he carries this film beautifully. His snide character which he rarely used in the Carry On films is in this film in bucket loads. The supporting cats of Charles Hawtrey, Bernard Cribbins and Barbara Windsor support Williams well.
½ June 9, 2010
his is one of the funnier efforts by the team. Its obviously a send up of other movies of the genre and is shot in glorious black and white which sometimes I prefer. Black and white seems to suit the carry on movies. Life may indeed be in colour but these movies were never a depiction of life. The campery of Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey is as funny as ever. There are those two wonderfully reliable old British actors Eric Barker and the fabulous Richard Wattis as his assistant. It would be hard to find better actors to play the chief and his off sider. I loved the performance of Judith Furse.. hilariously butch.Bernard Cribbins is a great talent and he brings so much more to the series than the annoying Kenneth Connor did. This might have been the first with the great Barbara Windsor and what a spectacular career she had. She actually steals the film and I found myself roaring with laughter. Its a very good carry on but above all the introduction of one of Britains finest stars Magnificent Barbara Windsor. Barbara Windsor was much more than the sexy little bomb shell that added so much to these films and many others. She was a brilliant comedienne and I hope she gets the recognition she richly deserved. Her timing is brilliant.

Yes its all very corny but all great comedy is corny. Its rather fun seeing their idea of modern technology,those mobile phones are fun. Wonder what they would think of what we use today. I love the cheap effects of the movie such as the car wash, rather not explain but its hilarious. Its great fun seeing one of Australias most loved exports, John Bluthall in the early stages of a great career.
October 25, 2012
With some clever gags and top performances from Kenneth Williams and Barbara Windsor who lead a cast the appear to be having a ball, this is fun without being exceptional.
June 30, 2012
A spy spoofer starring Barbara Windsor.
April 19, 2012
A movie with STENCH that doesn't stink!!
September 3, 2011
The 9th Carry On film, and this time, the team had their eye fixed on spy movies. They shared the same studios as the Bond films, so it was inevitable they'd spoof them. But, they made a very funny film from what they did, and this one marked the first appearance of one of the series' best known regulars. A top secret chemical formula has been stolen by the Society for the Total Extinction of Non-Conforming Humans, known as STENCH. The Chief of the Secret Service (Eric Barker) sends in the only agent availible. The accident prone and snide-toned Agent Desmond Simpkins (Kenneth Williams), and his three trainees, Agent Harold Crump (Bernard Cribbins), Agent Daphne Honeybutt (Barbara Windsor) and Agent Charlie Bind (Charles Hawtrey). They head off to Vienna, where they look for Milchmann (Victor Maddern) who stole the formula, dressed as a milkman.:P But the formula is now in the hands of The Fat Man (Eric Pohlmann), but they manage to nearly do away with their contact Carstairs (Jim Dale), while Simpkins becomes involved with the mysterious Lila (Dilys Laye). It's very silly entertainment, doing what you would normally expect. It has some brilliant double-entendre's complete with clever wordplay as well, as well as good send ups of spy films, and The Third Man. If only we had more secret agents like this lot. :P
½ August 19, 2011
Way back in 1964 the Carry on-team felt that it was time for a spoof of at the at the time so popular James Bond movies. For safety's sake came the movie also to make fun of film noirs, cold war paranoia and spy films in general.

It sounds more fun that it actually came out to be.

The beginning of the movie and the last parts is pinnacle Carry On tradition, but in the middle the movie is just treading water. Sad, because parts of this is really good.

Pinewood studios is made up to look like post-war Vienna, colonial Algiers and other strange places. There's even som music resembling the one from "the Third man" for some not so strange reason.

A delight as always to watch Kenneth Williams who is young and wild here and here we also see Barbara Windsor for the first time inb the Carry On saga. Every scene of her is about those two things on the front of her in one way or another.
April 22, 2011
Some great one-liners and a good cast, but not really the best Carry On there is. Still good fun though!
April 2, 2011
A genuine farce of a film with a high element of spoof. It does give it a slightly different feel to other Carry On's, but not an elevated one.
½ July 20, 2010
Carry On parody of the Bond movies.
½ March 28, 2010
One of the superior entries in the Carry On... series. With some spot on riffs on the then still fresh Bond franchise. Features less of the regular cast than you remember, but is probably better for it. Is far more subtle with its humour and innuendo than later entries. Easily one of the top five films in the series.
mirabella1996
½ February 10, 2010
All of the Carry On films get 4 or 5 stars from me.
They have been a much-loved part of my life ever since I can remember.
½ August 29, 2009
I really didnt enjoy this obvious Bond parody - maybe due to the abscence of so many Carry On Regulars particularly Sid James. The best thing about it is Charles Hawtrey's codename - Agent Double 'O' - Oooh!
½ June 30, 2009
Hilarious movie about a bunch of incompetent british agents in a secret mission. The movie is childish and slapstick in moments but is equally brilliant in quality at other times. A perfect watch when you need a cheer up.