Carry on Cleo (Caligula: Funniest Home Videos) Reviews

ScoopOnline
December 15, 2009
She had Lotions . . . and Potions . . . and Motions!
September 6, 2008
A good Carry on film set during the Roman empire.
garyX
March 19, 2007
Probably the best of the Carry On's, this sends up swords and sandal/biblical epics with aplomb, complete with the usual "ooh, no missus" innuendo and daft slapstick. Good clean fun.
December 23, 2014
The Carry on team on full form. Makes the Richard Burton Cleopatra seem very dull. They used the same sets and costumes for both films...
July 19, 2014
Okay - it was never in line to win an oscar, but it's great escapist fun. Totally ridiculous in every way and lovable because the film doesn't take itself seriously. The only decent costumes were worn by Sid James because they were allegedly made for Richard Burton when filming the 'real' Cleopatra!. I have a copy on DVD that I watch from time to time!
½ June 9, 2010
While this probably isn't the best Carry On film it is a lot of fun; it stars most of the regular Carry On cast including Kenneth Williams as Caesar and Sid James as his less than loyal friend Mark Anthony. The film begins in ancient Britain where two locals, Hengist and Horsa are captured and taken to Rome as slaves. They manage to escape and hide amongst the Vestal Virgins in the Temple of Venus. Here Horsa manages to kill five Roman soldiers when they attack Caesar; he then flees and everybody assumes it was Hengist who was the hero; he is promptly made Caesar's chief body guard and must accompany him to Egypt where Caesar believes he will forge an alliance with the beautiful Cleopatra... the viewer however knows that it is a trap being set by Mark Anthony who wishes to become Emperor and have Cleopatra for himself.

The outing for the Carry On team was a lot of fun; Kenneth Connor and Jim Dale were good as Hengist and Horsa and Amanda Barrie was suitable alluring as Cleopatra; however the best lines were reserved for Kenneth Williams... 'Infamy, Infamy, they've all got it in for me' is a classic! Some people might not approve of the fact that the actor playing Cleopatra's African bodyguard is a blacked up white actor offensive but as he is so badly blacked up you can see white patched in places I found it more funny than offensive. As one might expect from such a film there is a lack of historical accuracy but that hardly matters, as it is not trying to be serious. While a few of the jokes are a little bit risqué there is nothing too offensive and although there are plenty of scantily clad women to provide mild titillation there is no nudity. If you are a fan of the Carry On films this is certainly one of the ones you really should watch.
½ May 29, 2013
Pretty good movie overall. I didn't learn much but there were a few laughs.
October 25, 2012
An amusing parody of the Elizabeth Taylor epic 'Cleopatra' (1963) that doesn't quite live up to expectations. Some gags work, others down't in this rewriting of history which, despite the title, focuses more on Julius Caesar and Mark Antony than the ditzy Queen of the Nile. Watch out for Kenneth Williams in top form.
January 21, 2010
Infamy, infamy. They've all got it in for me. You have to love Kenneth Williams as Julius Caesar.
½ November 10, 2009
One of my favourite Carry On films - with decent sets inhertied from a proper film, some great lines and a fun Cleopatra this is good fun.
November 9, 2009
This is a british institution!!
They made over 30 Carry on movies but this is my personal favorite. True movie buffs will have heard of the carry on films.
Some of them were hit and miss but carry on cleo is alot of fun.