97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Cars That Ate Paris Reviews

AJ V

September 5, 2010
I found this movie confusing, slow, boring, and very strange. I wasn't sure if anything was actually going on. I wouldn't recommend seeing this movie.
Anthony L

September 16, 2009
I love Peter Weir's early work. The Cars That Ate Paris is a great example of forgotten Ozploitation, an Australian cult classic!
Marcus W

July 30, 2011
First off, this is Paris: Australia, not Paris: France. It's a charming little horror debut from Peter Weir that sits somewhere between Clockwork Orange and The Wicker Man. It is dated and would now be worth remaking, but for fans of Weir it's wonderful to see his early work.
Jossepi
Jossepi

February 3, 2010
Horror movie genre that involves killing machines specially cars are mostly bad ideas to start with. This is an early film of director Peter Weir (Gallipoli). The plot is very laughable and the special effect is not even up to the standard of the 70's. What made this movie really shine though is the film quality and the music scores. The music in this film really stood out and definitely is worth listening while laughing your way through this cheesy, evil car film.
RicC
July 22, 2009
Tested my patience. I don't know how to describe it except by saying that its concept is dull and not worthy of adapting to screen. "weird village" is actually just "plain". Peter Weir's first, thank goodness.
gorthaurrockatansky
March 9, 2008
Overrated by some, but amazingly underrated.
Weir, before he bacame the director of power, directed this black lil' flick.
Small town of Paris Australia makes car crashes happen to salvage auto parts and let the local mad doc practice his craft.
When Camilleri gets crashed, and 'adopted' by the town, he finds it it stranger by the day. And increasingly hard to leave.
The multiple storylines and theme don't meld perfectly- rowdy car-youths of the town rebelling, town nutters exisiting in thier own strict litttle world which becomes harder to keep together. It reaches a crecendo of death and the youths destroying the town social gathering.

Still, lots of gorgeous scenery and camera work. And a great uneasy air lingers in a beautiful sunny town. The acting is on par to keep this very good in spots.
Mellion is a Mayor determined to keep the town together, Jaffer is subtle as his chained down wife, Cameilleri has the perfect look of a trapped animal desperatly driven mad wanting to escape, Miles is perfectly creepy and cloying as the quack doc, and Spence has an effective mostly mute bit as the villiage idiot with cataclysmic actions.

All in all, a gem worth taking a look at.
And the Spike rig is always cool. ;)
Dave J
May 12, 2014
Monday, May 12, 2014

(1974) The Cars That Ate Paris
PSYCOLOGICAL HORROR

Not a very good early film from accomplished director Peter Weir which I've heard is like something coming from low budget movie king Roger Cormon. "Paris" as the movie is referring to doesn't have anything to do with 'Paris, France' except by name only. It only refers that name toward another town also called Paris residing in Australia. And it has something to do with a string of car accidents that happen there whenever a motorist rides through or ride near Paris- serious enough to create suspicion. Arthur Waldo (Terry Camilleri) is the star, and while driving through the countryside, end up in a fatal car accident, killing his brother who was sitting beside him at the passenger side. By the time Arthur resides around the Paris town, he's then greeted and then eventually ordered to reside with the mayor himself, who's looing after two children who're not his. At this point, viewers are obvious about it's circumstances about how, showing the 'why'. What's confusing about this whole movie is the fact that if there was ever a town that has a high automobile crash rate, would attract the attention of the country's gov't. And I also find it hard to believe that their were no other relatives living on other parts of the region making suspicious reports of possible murder.

And although, the film does carry on a good idea, it hasn't really put too much thought into it, ignoring the big picture. The only thing I did thought was amusing are the look of some of it's vehicles themselves which look like models for a George Miller's "Mad Max" movie. And looking at the cars themselves cannot save the movie either.

2 out of 4 stars
toxiemite
March 4, 2013
I don't think I am happier than when I'm watching Aussie movies from the 70s and 80s. 'The Cars That Ate Paris' is a misleading title for a number of reasons and yet it suits the film perfectly. Just a few years after 'Wake In Fright' presented a nightmare story of an out-of-towner trapped in a small community unable to escape, Peter Weir elaborated on that concept to create a creepy horror film about a small country town which orchestrates car accidents to fuel it's local economy. The only way into town is a small and treacherous road and anyone travelling in their direction is forced off into a steep ravine. If the travellers survive they are either lobotomised and locked up in a sanatorium for the local doctor to experiment on or they are selected to become new residents, at which point they are brainwashed. I love the movie. The stunt work is great, the performances are effective and the concept is totally surreal. We stopped making these types of movies midway through the 90s and it's really sad. We had such a distinctive approach to genre filmmaking and it's something we should celebrate and reclaim. Something that occurred to me when watching the movie was how often I drive through small country towns and see entire paddocks full of old wrecked and abandoned cars... it makes you wonder!! LOL
July 26, 2012
You can't connect the plot to any sort of pre-set formula. There's no real three act structure, and the character arc is ridiculous. Peter Weir made a stunning and unique debut, followed it up with a few more great films, but then he fucked up and made Dead Poets Society.
May 30, 2012
well, one of my friends explained this movie to me, and the entire time she's explaining it, I'm trying to think of why someone would come up with a plot this idiotic and retarded.
April 8, 2012
Peter Weir's early film is arguably one of his better films, if not so refined. This morbid black comedy is both horrifying and entertaining. One of the first true 'Ozploitations', it is definitely worth a see.
T.S.M.
July 23, 2010
Good Lord. Just stupid, and not charmingly so. This country's obsession with petrol is just plain embarrassing in retrospect. There's certainly some interesting ideas being thrown about by Weir, and some black humour, but the film just feels too stilted, and not kooky enough to genuinely work. Even at this early stage though, Weir demonstrates that he's got an inherently cinematic eye.