91% Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes Jul 11

House of Sand (Casa de Areia) Reviews

rubystevens
rubystevens

May 19, 2011
a hypnotic epic starring the wonderful fernanda montenegro and her real-life daughter, the film follows 3 generations of women for 60 odd years trapped in a magnificent but forbidding desert environment of northern brazil. a meditative experience in some ways reminiscent of teshigahara's woman in the dunes
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

February 14, 2009
[font=Century Gothic]In "House of Sand," it is 1910 and Aurea(Fernanda Torres) is pregnant and married to Vasco(Ruy Guerra), an older man who abuses her and drags her and her mother Maria(Fernanda Montenegro) to a remote area of Brazil where he has purchased land on the edge of the desert where they encounter a colony of escaped slaves, causing much of their party to desert. Aurea is reluctant to stay, saying that she had no idea it was going to be like this. Vasco's cruel treatment of her does not help and indeed causes Maria to contract with one of the ex-slaves to kill Vasco. When that does not work, part of an unfinished house falls on him, simultaneously killing him and possibly proving the existence of a higher power. Left alone, mother and daughter now petition for help from Massu(Seu Jorge) of the slaves' colony.[/font]

[font=Century Gothic]"House of Sand" is a beautifully shot contemplation on the nature of life with a unique setting where a moment can feel like eons or a decade can go by in the blink of an eye. Also under consideration is space and how there may be no place remote enough to ever be completely free. In searching for one, a person may end up in a trap worse than anything he was fleeing.[/font]
John B

January 30, 2010
I was fascinated by the existence in the desert. It was such an interesting setting for me. Not to say that I didn't enjoy the film itself.
William G

December 26, 2006
Slow pacing, soapy plot can't hold back solid performances, direction.
ristrawn
December 17, 2009
good & real about life & contentment & making the best of your current situation - home is where you are as in the expression "make yourself at home"... beautiful sand & sea sceneries... Fernanda Montenegro was fantastic in all 3 roles...
jjb3332003
March 30, 2009
While beautiful cinematographically, there wasn't much to this movie. And the sudden jumps in time and multiple-role characters were a bit annoying, even if they were meant to be symbolic.
Ipinchu
December 15, 2008
Foreign movies are soo great. This movie had such a powerful message, as well as a beautiful backdrop. Only foreign movies have such complex but fantastic storyline. This one's meaning can be easily said with one of the last lines. Ultimately it doesn't matter where you end up, its who you end up with that matters. You can go to the moon, and only find sand.
WrellikW
June 29, 2008
Foreign, Spanish. This is a very good film. The scenery is very unique and is quite beautiful. The story is very good and I would highly recommend it.
emwpens71
May 20, 2008
I liked this, but I thought it would be better. Once it got into the story and picked up, I enjoyed it a lot better.
carolynmarie20817
February 23, 2008
Its slow moving and the scenery is all the same. But the ending is worth the wait. Beautiful female actresses
July 21, 2007
Great film, the way it looks is beautiful and the story is very good, but it looked like something out of The Twilight Zone.
December 14, 2006
This is a superior film when it stands on its setting, which provides a powerful backbone to the film. Ultimately you are taken in by the sheer force of the landscape; however, I felt that some of the characters were underdeveloped and the two main leads, the mother and daughter, ruptured the film for me when I lost my suspension of disbelief concerning their identity over time. I think a shorter film that was less self-absorbed could have been more powerful for me, although there is certainly something to be said for the epic approach and how complicated it is to pull it off with the medium. In any case, good work - a very watchable film with an overweening sense of place.
November 24, 2006
I am not quite sure what to think of this film. It was beautiful in cinematography but the story was a bit strange. I guess it will just remain one of those films I don't quite understand the purpose of but enjoyed for the visual aspect of it.
December 23, 2013
Splendid photography. Remarkable acting. A tour de force.
May 21, 2013
An amazing directorial achievment for a beautiful story made with passion and true vision. Excellent performances.
June 9, 2012
Vi há muito tempo atrás, vou revê-lo. Mas lembro que a fotografia era incrível e a direção segura.
February 5, 2012
Fernanda mãe e Fernanda filha e o meu prazer de estar vivo para ver.
" - Sinto falta de música".
Enet805
July 25, 2011
A great film, a deep story, some films dont have to say a lot to feel a lot, this is one of them.
July 14, 2011
A beautifully acted and amazingly shot movie, one of my favourites!
June 3, 2011