Casper

Casper Reviews

skactopus
skactopus

February 11, 2009
Brad Silberling has done a lot of directing for various TV episodes and such, but he does also direct movies. In this case, he brings the story of Casper to life in an impressive way. This is one fun film from start to finish.There isn't much to the story, especially in the first half, but this is where it is the most fun. The nicely thought out dialogue and the funny antics of the ghostly trio, Stretch, Stinkie, and Fatso, all keep this picture highly entertaining. The second half of this 100 minute film slows down just a bit to get more story going. At this point the ghostly trio are a little less involved and Casper takes the stage.The CG is outstanding. I know the ghosts look all cartoony, but this is a childish film. Anyhow, they look great. The voice acting is also spot on. Joe Nipote, Joe Alaskey, and Brad Garrett match wonderfully to their ghost characters. Malachi Pearson is also a solid Casper.All the actors for the human characters are magnificently cast as well. Christina Ricci and Bill Pullman portray a nice father daughter relationship. Cathy Moriarty matches as the evil Carrigan Crittenden and who better than Eric Idle to play her goofy comedic sidekick. There are also a ton of enjoyable cameos in this movie, including Dan Aykroyd as the Ghostbuster Raymond Stantz.Casper is truly one fun family film, except for a couple occasions where the "B" word comes out of somebody's mouth. Watch this if the opportunity arises.
Phil H

December 28, 2013
I recall this film popping out of nowhere really, saw a trailer for it out of the blue, liked the look of it and went to see it. The creepy Addams Family visuals along with some really sweet looking effects hooked me and overall I really enjoyed this little kiddie flick.

The plot is a simple Scooby Doo type affair really. There's a big old spooky mansion where Casper and his three uncle ghosts reside. An evil tyrannical female inherits the mansion and wants to find the treasure hidden within its bowels (then tear it down), problem is the ghosts. So she hires Bill Pullman (a paranormal therapist) and his daughter Ricci to get rid of the spooks.

This being a kids flick its very predictable so I needn't tell you how things unfold. What I will say is the film is a highly enjoyable ghostie adventure with some really nice looking cobweb ridden sets, charming locations, quirky humour, acceptable performances and great CGI amazingly.

The ghost effects on Casper are really nice and hold up well today. He's easily the best of the bunch visually, he looks quite realistic actually. The three naughty uncles are slightly more cartoonish looking and act so. The jokes and slapstick from them is very childish, you can see the one liners and sight gags coming a mile off but that's expected. Other ghosts that materialise during the film also look more like cartoons and not as effective as Casper, not too sure why Pullman's wife appears as a proper human though when all the others are CGI, emotional moment I guess.

The other thing that impresses is how well the actors interact with the CGI spooks, believe it or not but they do look in all the right places and at the right times. You'd half expect this film to have hokey effects and badly directed live action but its really good all the way through. There are some unnecessary quickfire cameos that's for sure, the only clever one was seeing Dan Aykroyd turn up as 'Ray Stantz', I liked that.

Hot on the heels of a certain Charles Addams creation Ricci follows on with her adopted kooky persona with this halloween caper, and its suits her perfectly. Pullman is a blundering but lovable father to Ricci's character whilst Casper is voiced nicely and acted well by a young Devon Sawa in human form. The only let down is the rather lame villainess and her henchman played by Eric Idle who didn't really need to be here.

At times this film is actually very sweet and can bring a lump to your throat, it has that sickly sentimental touch, especially during the finale. But overall this is a great fun film if you enjoy light-hearted supernatural silliness. To sum up it isn't too far from a kids version of 'Beetlejuice' or 'High Spirits' and much better than the Eddie Murphy vehicle 'The Haunted Mansion'.
michael e.
michael e.

June 19, 2013
Considering I've never been a HUGE fan of Casper (then again who is these days?) and considering the film doesn't have the best reputation for an animated adaptation, I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but I was surprised at how good I thought the film was. Bill Pullman and Christina Ricci both do decent jobs and you can sense the relationship of father and daughter with the two, and the kid who played CAsper does a good job at pulling off his personality, but the characters that steal the show are the ghostly trio, Stretch played by Joe Nipote, Stinky played by Veteran VA Joe Alaskey (Bugs, Daffy, Tweety, & Sylvester from 2000 to 2006), and Fatso played by Everybody Loves Raymond actor Brad Garrett. Not only are all three of these guys entertaining as hell as these characters, but they make them each funny, give them distinct voices, and make each character just mean but the likable and funny kind of mean. Also the film has a few very good cameo moments and does have a good sense of humor which considering most Cartoon to film adaptations usually have the same humor of juvenile fart jokes or other jokes, but no this film did try a number of jokes and a lot of them actually work
Sophie B

October 23, 2011
A kids film that made me more scared that happy. Not something you should show kids who believe in ghosts.
theunknownhobo
theunknownhobo

August 25, 2011
An old fave from childhood, Casper is grown up enough to still be enjoyed. Although as an adult you pick up on themes a lot more than you do as a child, I think Casper has enough depth to keep me putting it in my DVD player for years to come, even if I do so under the pretense of my child wanting to watch it.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

August 17, 2011
This was okay, I loved it as a kid, but now its just really cliche, but its not terrible.
Alexander D

August 4, 2011
OK+
Lucas M

June 20, 2011
Unforgettable, but nothing special.
AJ V

September 6, 2010
A fun family film based on the Casper the friendly ghost comics. It's a little silly, but overall fun and humorous, and I enjoy it.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

August 19, 2010
Casper is a terrific family film. The big problem with this film is obviously the language. Despite that fact, it's a fun and quite harmless film to watch. The story is simple, but effects are astounding. I think the reason I like this film is because it's a well made, yet simple film with a good intention. The cast does a decent job, but obviously whats most stunning about this film is the special effects. Considering this was made in 1995, this film is a milestone in special effects. Casper is a fun film to watch that will entertain people of all ages. This isn't a typical kid film, I view this film as a family film. A film that you can watch to revisit the best parts of your childhood, along with The Sandlot, E.T and Toy Story, Casper is one of those films that I loved when I was younger, and still love today because of the fact it's a well written film with charm and feel good moments.
cosmo313
cosmo313

June 9, 2006
This is a pretty decent family film, and I like the effects. It's funny, charming, and definitely not boring. It's not completely original, and does fall prey to some comfortable cliches, but it succeeds where it needs to, and that's what really matters.
Richard C

July 29, 2010
C-
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

April 5, 2007
LOL I cannt decide which Capser I should add in my Insane Movie list aka my favorite Movies aka InTheBasket. lol
I like the one with Steve Guttenberg as well.
Jason S

December 28, 2006
This is a sweet movie that I thought worked well. The acting was good and we even find out how Casper died. There is a bit of silliness but it works well with the script.
I watched this with my kids and even though they drop the B word a few times I didn't think it was that bad. My 5 year old was into it the whole time and for me that is a sign of a good kids movie.
Jason O

September 8, 2009
Seeing Is Believing and after you see this movie, you'll see that it's a great movie from start to finish. A man (Bill Pullman) who studies the paranormal and is searching for the ghost of his dead wife moves to a haunted mansion with his daughter (Christina Ricci). They soon find a friendly ghost named Casper and three crazy and hilarious ghosts. While there, they both learn a lot of valuable lessons about ghosts and about what they're looking for.
"Casper" is an all around great movie. The ghosts are hilarious and it has a great story and it's very entertaining. The drama and the uplifting parts of the movie don't ruin the movie's overall value at all, they make it better. This is not a movie that is just for kids. If you like great movies, I recommend giving "Casper" a chance. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2000.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 9, 2007
you have to love casper really and this film isnt disappointing i dunno why amy brenneman is put at the beginning when she only has a minor roll at the end but its a brilliant film a goood family film
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

January 22, 2007
Saw this again recently and it holds up pretty well, as does the early CGI. Fun family comedy with a dark edge. Some of the dialogue is atrocious and the plot is full of holes, but hey, sit back and just laugh and enjoy the ride.
Dean !

June 19, 2007
A good all round family film.
Alice S

July 24, 2008
Adorable and moving. Surely we all remember squealing at the Devon Sawa reveal during fifth grade slumber parties.