Casque d'Or - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Casque d'Or Reviews

March 23, 2014
Excellent. Simone Signoret was one of a kind. Today's young actresses could learn a whole lot from her work.
½ February 3, 2014
In terms of a gangster film, the plot of Casque d'Or is merely mediocre. But the depiction of love, passion, jealousy, hatred and nemesis is solid, particularly with the presence of the great Simone Signoret.
April 20, 2013
Signoret is fierce, tender, innocent and not, in this sad love story of gangsters and waltzes--The mastery of the style is impressive!!
December 25, 2012
The word 'dapper' was invented to describe Felix Leca (Claude Dauphin) as the fiendish gangster boss who never loses his cool until confronted with his executor, Georges Manda; moments away from death, his 'sang-froid' deserts him...
December 30, 2011
Um clássico do cinema francês, Amores Apaches fala de paixões impossíveis, no submundo parisiense em 1900. Recheado com traições e jogos do poder, é possível perceber o desespero dos personagens, que sabe que um dia, o que eles tem pode acabar. Com um roteiro rápido de apenas 90 min, o filme desenvolve cada um dos personagens envolvidos. A cena de Marie na igreja é uma das mais belas que já vi, assim como a cena final. Simone Signoret em seu melhor momento, em uma personagem amorosa, sagaz, humorada e que ao final do filme se dá conta, que para uma prostituta o amor é um luxo. Recomendo e mt!
rubystevens
½ January 8, 2009
simone signoret causes a whole lotta trouble but she's down for her man. the second impressive becker crime film i've seen. based on a true story, with old fashioned tragic romance that's not sappy and wonderful evocation of the demimonde in la belle époque
July 24, 2009
recommended by onomatopee.
June 7, 2007
Simone Signoret is love. And so is this picture. The cast is great, and there's a lot of stuff going on. I must watch more Becker's films now.
September 25, 2008
An old-fashioned film that plays heavily on the story structure of 19th century themes like betrayal and dangerous and lost love both together. I found it highly enjoyable especially to see the acting, the actor Serge Reggiani did a fantastic job in portraying man who can never go straight. I also found that the simplicity of the story-line works by allowing fatal emotions to play through.
½ September 16, 2008
Turn of the century gangsters, waltzes, boating, ladies of the evening, honor, dishonor, and righteous violence. And Signoret! A marvelous entertainment.
½ June 19, 2007
I'm not sure when this movie's set. Probably about the turn of the last century; there are bicycles but no cars. I can't define it better than that, and nobody seems to want to tell me.

By the way, have any of you gotten used to saying, "The turn of the [i]last[/i] century" to refer to the time approximately between 1895 and 1905? I haven't. It's just weird.

In this film, we explore the nature of love--indeed, of several kinds of love. The two relationships most important to the story are that of Marie and Manda and that of Manda and Raymond. Without either one, we wouldn't have a story--or, if we did, it would be vastly different.

There are also the men who think they love Marie but instead want her as a status symbol, to prove they can "own" such a woman. They want the beautiful, expensive woman as a showpiece. Marie, in turn, wants to be kept by someone who will provide well for her. Then again, she loves the simple existence she shares with Manda; it's only in town that she feels the need for riches.

We see that Marie must make her choice, and we see what the choice she doesn't want to make costs everyone around her. We don't know how much she knows about what the men who keep her before she meets Manda do to pay for her, but we are left to suspect that it's unimportant to her. Until she meets the carpenter, what matters is her pleasures.

We also, incidentally, never learn how Manda and Raymond met or why Manda apparently has a name that is not the one he had the six or seven years before, when last they saw each other. However, I suspect that Manda's not exactly a stranger to criminal activities.
½ January 28, 2007
beautiful attention to period detail. Simone Signoret plays the lead of Marie whilst Serge Reggiani plays the recently released convict trying to go straight whom she falls into an affair with.

Based on real trials of the fin de siecle, it is realist rather than romantic.
August 19, 2006
Not the finest of French Cinema, but Becker has painted us a beautiful portrait.
Harlequin68
June 13, 2006
[font=Century Gothic]"Casque D'or" starts out on an idyllic summer day as a group of friends make their way to a tavern via boats. While there, one of them, Raymond(Raymond Bussieres) recognizes an old pal from prison, Jo(Serge Reggiani), who has since gone straight as a carpenter and is at the tavern with his boss. Raymond introduces Jo to his friends, one of whom is the beautiful Marie(Simone Signoret). Jo and Marie share a dance but this makes her fellow, Roland(William Sabatier), immensely jealous and he confronts Jo. But Jo clocks him before making his exit.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]These men are all part of a criminal gang headed by Felix Leca(Claude Dauphin), a crime boss with delusions of respectability. He sees that the altercation at the tavern could lead to waves in his finely tuned organization. So, he asks Marie to choose between the two men by that night...[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]"Casque D'or" starts slowly but gets better as it goes along and builds towards a powerfully emotional climax. The movie explores the notion that we are all free and cannot be owned by others. Therefore, it is ironic that most of the characters are thieves.[/font]
April 23, 2005
[center][size=2][color=black][i][b][font=Verdana][font=Verdana] Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (McNaughton 86) 5.5/10

[/font][/font][/b][/i][/color][/size][size=2][color=black][i][b][font=Verdana][font=Verdana]Melinda and Melinda (Allen 05) 7.0/10

Femme Fatale (De Palma 02) 6.5/10

Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle (Leiner 04) 6.5/10

[/font][/font][/b][/i][/color][/size] [size=2][color=black][i][b][font=Verdana]Casque d'Or (Becker 52) 8.0/10[/font][/b][/i][/color][/size][/center]