Das Schloß (The Castle) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Das Schloß (The Castle) Reviews

½ March 28, 2015
Here's a shocker! Haneke makes a frigid cold mystery that is, while intriguing, too ambiguous and dry to really grasp onto. It's not a disaster; there is some uniqueness to the plotting and some funny-ish characters, but nothing to stave off the boredom. In one scene, the main character is fighting off falling asleep while another character drones on. Sadly, I could relate.
January 5, 2015
Satantango with a little more color and a little less misery. An existential masterpiece apparently nobody watches.
½ November 12, 2014
I saw this - trying to save a better Haneke film for a while longer - "Amour". I tend to enjoy his films. They are often as brilliant and smart as they are disturbing.
The castle is a very weird piece, where the is a constant lack of meaning.

It's based on a novel made by Franz Kafka, but he never finished it as I've figured. I read someplace that he died in the writing process. Anyhow, I believe the film is better after reading the novel. Names, houses, walks in snow, discussions. That's about it.
I get the feeling of paranoia, it's definetly present. "K" is searching for a place called "The Castle", and it's not an easy place to enter.
On his way we meet several people, but I never really care much for any of them. Too much dialogue for me going on for two hours. This is boring, and to complex or hidden for me. I don't get much, but I make up some ideas while watching it at least.
I like the fast switches of turning black, the scene cuts, but that's about it. The leads Ulrich Mühe and Sussane Lothar does great, and well, the ending - I liked that, in a way.

Incredibly lifeless, dark, boring, but still fascinating and a very original adaptation. Maybe it will grow on me, most of his films does, but so far I did not like it.

3 out of 10 snow storms.
April 22, 2010
Kafka adapted by Haneke. Faithfully frustrating.
½ April 2, 2014
A microcosm of social anxieties played out against constant external threats and isolation. Difficulties occurred because of the translating into English and I felt the constant drag of the dialog because of that. I expect it's more enjoyable with just the native tongue.
July 31, 2013
Kafka, Haneke, and a dolly
February 17, 2013
???????????? ??? ????????????. ?????? ?????????? ??? ?????? ???????. ???? ????? ????, ????? ??????? ?? ?????????? ?????? ?? ?????? ?? ???? ???? ????? ??????? ?????????? ??????????????. ???? ?????? ???? ?????? ??? ?????.
½ February 12, 2013
Can somebody please kindly tell me what the hell is going out as I am lost completely. I just find Ulrich Muhe annoying here. Maybe it's Kafka's fault other than Haneke.
Harlequin68
December 11, 2012
"The Castle" starts with K.(Ulrich Muhe), a land surveyor, arriving in a small town one night to start work for the local castle. The only room in the inn is a spot on the floor. Regardless, he sleeps well until woken by Barnabas(Andre Eisermann), the castellan, who informs him that he will need permission from the castle to stay. Thankfully, that is quickly rectified to the satisfaction of K. And soon, Artur(Frank Giering) and Jeremiah(Felix Eitner), his filthy assistants, arrive but without the requisite equipment. At least, K. can get a drink at the local beer hall where he catches the friendly eye of Frieda(Susanne Lothar), the barmaid.

In this adaptation of Franz Kafka's classic absurd novel, Michael Haneke gets certain things perfectly right, like the overall tone and the cadence of speech, aided by copious selections from the source material. That's not to mention the excellent performances. However, Haneke brings nothing visually to the table and is otherwise limited by his own success as a writer, as the same fidelity eventually works against the movie as it falls into the same trap as K.(symbolizing modernity against a feudal society) does in endlessly searching for such comforts as a job, a place to live and somebody to be with. While K. is constantly at the mercy of functionaries, known and unknown, the viewer loses track of who is who in this labyrinthine tale before it all just comes to a halt. And unless it is a Danny Kaye routine, that is not a lot of fun for anybody.
November 29, 2012
After watching this, I've now seen every single Michael Haneke movie and surprisingly this is one of my favourites. Artistically, it's probably one of his strongest, an underrated masterpiece. It's an acquired taste for sure so I don't really think it'll appeal to everyone but for sure if you like Kafka, you'll love this picture.
½ October 29, 2012
when you watch this feel you have the sam feeling that you have when reading Kafka's book
½ October 18, 2010
yeah I just don't think Kafka will ever be my thing. I was praying for this to end
July 9, 2009
Own this but I need to read Kafka's trilogy first.
bbcfloridabound
½ May 18, 2010
This Movie From Kino Video was part of the Toronto International Film Festival, Its a strange movie as many are from Kino Video. A man is hired to survey the castle but is given the run around and not allowed on Castle grounds. I for one found it boring and senseless. But worth more then 1 star so I gave it 1 1/2 stars. Don't waste your time like I did.
½ September 2, 2009
Michael Hanake has made some great films, Funny Games for example, He won the Palm d'Or at the 2009 Cannes Film Festival for The White Ribbon, and while he may be a very good director, he has made some truely bad films, The Castle, for example. the film takes place in a small german village were a castle stands, and a land survayer thinks he was hired by a guy who nobody can come in contanct with, and then the guy who might be a land survayer, decides not to do what he might of been hired to do, but to persue a woman instead, and then the movie abruptly ends in the middle of a sentacne. this terrible, but slightly surreal vision of Franz Kafka was never finnished, therefore the film ends right before an important part. i hated it, nothing happend, it was terrible.
April 22, 2008
Haneke's worst movie. I guess it can't work when you try visually to make Kafka's work vivid.
½ December 26, 2007
Assez surréaliste. Haneke a même laissé les fragments inachevés par Kafka, donc certaines scènes coupent en plein milieu d'un dialogue. C'est très dense. Très peu d'action, beaucoup de dialogues. Sans doute déplaisant pour ceux qui ne se sont pas familiers avec l'oeuvre de Kafka, mais ayant lu le roman je ne peux que lever mon chapeau à Haneke pour son travail. Tout est merveilleusement bien reproduit, à l'image du Procès d'Orson Welles. Un film difficile d'approche, mais réussi.
December 8, 2007
I got it on my shelf but have tno time to watch it! I always love Haneke's Films.. He's One of my favorite directors ever.