Cat Dancers Reviews

April 17, 2013
Brilliant and touching. A bit slow at the start but the intriguing individuals and their compelling story make this well worth it.
½ February 6, 2013
Not very good ballet dancers Ron & Joy turn into not very good cat entertainers. They add another dude named Chuck to their act & become a 3some- on stage and supposedly in the bedroom. The tale is narrated by Ron, and while likely embellished, is still fascinating.
½ April 6, 2011
At first, Cat Dancers seemed to be just an interesting yet tragic love story of sorts about the Cat Dancers group told by a very honest Ron Holiday. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I also couldn't stop thinking about it, it's quite haunting and that is one of its strengths. After a while you will realise that not all that happened makes sense. Ron Holiday is a very colourful and entertaining character but I'm starting to wonder how honest he was really being. This film raises more questions than it answers but it is brilliant in its subtlety. This documentary reminded me of the excellent Capturing the Friedmans, its subtle, compelling and extremely haunting. Expertly edited and thought provoking, highly recommended!
December 3, 2010
If you are a performer, animal lover, or a lover this movie will change your life. It's best watched multiple times.
May 22, 2010
Don't watch this because it's (1) a kitschy story about a trio who live with and train tigers & leopards, (2) a kinky story about their on-going three-way, and (3) a sad story about a white tiger that kills Ron's wife Joy after six weeks earlier killing their shared young lover Chuck.

Rather, watch it to puzzle over the many subtle, unanswered questions about what did (or did not) actually happen.

Ron's quite vague and/or conflicting on what should be straightforward, basic facts. Who first initiated the sexual trifecta, Ron or Joy? Who first wanted it? Who was there, the first time?

Joy was liquored up at twice the legal limit at death; Ron changes up his explanation half-a-dozen times.

What does Ron remember about Joy's attack? Only seeing her fly through the air.

And Ron's plenty of odd duck that adds to the puzzle. He's teaching teenagers to train cats - by rambling on about Oriental tiger-pecker soup and his dead wife's breast implants. Hmmm.

His house is filled with nearly-naked pictures/portraits of he and Joy, but none of Chuck.

After the attack on Chuck, he doesn't want the cat put-down; after the attack on Joy, he demands it on-the-spot. Later, when he can't afford them, he has the rest of the cats put-down, instead of donating them away. These, the cats he loves so very very much.

And just how did Ron feel about Joy when, after Chuck died, she stopped eating, lost 30 pounds and (according to Ron) "prayed to die?" Well, he turned away IVs and hospitalization, instead suggesting a stroll with the cats (in her feeble condition) would do her good.

It didn't.

RECOMMENDATION: For the truly intellectual viewer, there's a boatload of between-the-lines here to ponder over popcorn. And for such, well recommended.
January 2, 2009
I LOVED THIS! IT IS A MESMERIZING BUT TRAGIC LOVE STORY AND IT HAPPENS TO BE TRUE BECAUSE IT IS A DOCUMENTARY.
December 31, 2008
I happened to find this by accident when flipping though channels. I was completely mezmerized. WOW.
December 6, 2008