Weekly Ketchup: The Cat in the Hat Gets A CGI Remake

Summary

This week's Ketchup includes news stories including several new remakes (The Cat in the Hat, Leprechaun and Garbage Pail Kids), new movies for directors Martin Scorsese and Errol Morris, and adaptations of books by Terry Brooks and Stephen King. Back to Article

Comments

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

I can't find out if the shoot for "Silence" is happening or not. I thought Benicio del Toro dropped out of "Star Trek" for that. Anyway, that's the only Scorsese I'm excited about. This one looks fine, as does "The Irishman", and his Sinatra film. But it was clear that "Silence" was really special to him.

Errol better not let Rummy off the hook like McNamara. These guys always have mea culpas when they realize they have to get into heaven.

Leprechaun Vs. Garbage Pail Kids? Just Saying. You want to throw some wrestlers in there, fine.

Mar 16 - 05:06 PM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Why don't you just put me out of my skeptical misery and remake "Wocket in My Pocket" on the side of that?
1. This rereleasze trend is getting out of hand.
2. Surpise surprise if he doesn't win the Oscar, let alone get nominated...
3. Interesting.
4. There will NEVER be a cooling trend with Hollywood reviving work people didn't even know existed to begin with!
5. Hmm, been a while since I saw Jeremy Irons in something this big. He's badass.
6. You mean the Super 8 director isn't attached anymore? Bollocks!
7. If you're going to adapt an idea that fruity, at least rename it for starters.

I agree with Janson J. on the rest.

Mar 16 - 05:27 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Yes! Let's get this Garbage Pail Rumble going!

Mar 16 - 06:40 PM

Sean Y.

Sean Y.

Wait, J.J. Abrams was attached to The Dark Tower?

Mar 17 - 02:48 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Mar 17 - 03:24 PM

Joshua

Joshua "LF" Mitchell

When I saw the Jurassic Park headline, I was like "FINALLY, THE FOURTH ONE IS COMING OUT," and then I read the rest of the article...

Mar 16 - 06:00 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

Yes! Let's get this Garbage Pail Rumble going!

Mar 16 - 06:40 PM

Cinema-Maniac

Caesar Mendez

More Garbage Pail Kids and Leprechaun, next thing you know Hollywood decides to remake Citizen Kane and John Travolta makes a sequel for Battlefield Earth. Trust me people, the second halve of the novel isn't any better.

Mar 16 - 07:17 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

Don't you want to see how it ends though? :P

Mar 16 - 11:11 PM

Dr114

Chris Miele

The critic who said that the live action cat in the hat is "Enormously funny" must be an enormous jackass.

Mar 16 - 09:26 PM

Tyler M.

Tyler M. Mannix

The Cat in the Hat was bad, but I still like to watch it sometimes. It's kinda my guilty pleasure. Seeing that there will be a CGI remake with the zanier Johnny Depp playing the titular role has me breathing sighs of relief here.

Mar 16 - 09:36 PM

greg_dean_schmitz

Greg Dean Schmitz

Just a clarification... the CGI Cat in the Hat and the CGI/live action Dr. Seuss biopic starring Johnny Depp are two different movies (from the same company that did The Lorax).

Mar 17 - 08:08 AM

Tyler M.

Tyler M. Mannix

I know that.

Mar 17 - 12:29 PM

Janson Jinnistan

Janson Jinnistan

"there will be a CGI remake with the zanier Johnny Depp playing the titular role"

Know what, now?

Mar 19 - 07:32 AM

Lenny M.

Lenny Monroe

I feel the last good thing Spielberg made was Munich. He's lost his magic in my opinion, I barely even recognize his films anymore, starting with Indy 4 he has GEATLY downgraded himself. Oh well, I'm still hoping he can find his way again.

Mar 16 - 09:43 PM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

Firstly, I donā??t agree with you, and secondly, the upcoming biopic Lincoln starring Daniel Day-Lewis should at least turn that around :)

Mar 17 - 07:36 AM

Jimmy G.

Jimmy Gee

He's only had a couple films since Indiana IV (which was pretty awful). I think it's too soon to discount a great like Spielberg just yet. I have a feeling that both of his next 2 films will be pretty spectacular.

Mar 19 - 09:26 AM

Sean D.

Sean D

Don't you want to see how it ends though? :P

Mar 16 - 11:11 PM

Sean D.

Sean D

A 3D Jurassic Park? Are you kidding me with this shit? No. No no no no no. No. No. No. ... No. I love JP. But really? This is as bad an idea as 3D Titanic. No.

Mar 16 - 11:15 PM

Sean Y.

Sean Y.

Wait, J.J. Abrams was attached to The Dark Tower?

Mar 17 - 02:48 AM

Kriftonucci

Jim Ylonen

Mar 17 - 03:24 PM

King  S.

King Simba

About time The Cat in the Hat got a proper adaptation. Okay, I know it's hard to stretch such a short story into a full length feature, but that still doesn't excuse the laziness of the live action film. On the other hand, the animated adaptations of Dr. Seuss films have been pretty solid, so hopefully this trend can contiue.

Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies ever, and while this 3-d re-release is obviously done for more money (then again, what release isn't) and I'm not sure how much the 3-d is going to benefit the film, hey it's still Jurrasic Park on the big screen! On a side note, though, I think they should move the re-release date to a quieter time where there's less competetion. The fall period I think would be a more logical choice.

I won't lie that out of all the possible Scorsese projects that he was consdiering, The Wolf of Wall Street wasn't the one I was hoping he'd choose, but hey, it's Martic Scorsese - that alone is good enough for me.

Love the cast for Beautiful Creatures (especially Irons). Yes, a know the premises sounds like a romantic melodrama, but hey what's wrong with a little melodrama anyway, provided it's done good?

It's kind of interesting that the Stephen King adaptation that has the author's full support is really struggling to get made and yet the one that Stephen King has been very meh about is having a much smoother time (The Stand) even if it had some trouble finding a director.

Yeesh....just when you think they've run out of horror films to remake, another one pops up. Just how exactly are they going to put a wrestler in Leprechaun? It's not like you can give them the titular role as for the most part they're the opposite of little.

Haven't seen the Garbage Pail Kids Movie, but then again isn't it better that they're remaking something the could use a huge amount of improvement rather than something that's a classic. Then again, an adaptation of a card series? When has that ever worked?

Mar 17 - 03:48 AM

cinemascribe

Duane Ullery

King S. wrote: "Jurassic Park is one of my favorite movies ever, and while this 3-d re-release is obviously done for more money (then again, what release isn't) and I'm not sure how much the 3-d is going to benefit the film, hey it's still Jurrasic Park on the big screen! "

Yeah,man, I concur. I was twenty two when Jurassic Park bowed and I had read Crichton's novel prior to the release of the film. I was as swept up in the excitement of what the trailers teased as anyone else and, consequently,not only is Jurassic park one of my favorite movies, but the opening night of Jurassic Park at what was then our local Cobb Theatre (eventually a Regal and now a Phoenix Cinema) represents one of the best experiences I've ever had in a theatre. Although I realize no cinematic experience will ever be quite as magical as that first time I watched a seemingly tangible dinosaur walking across the screen in more detail than seemed possible short of actually breeding one, it's been two decades since I was able to see Jurassic Park on the big screen in all of its' surround sound glory. I'd love a chance to do so again. This is a film which - unlike many of its contemporaries- has actually held up very well over the years. I'd like to see a 20th anniversary release sans 3D , with the selling point being the opportunity for those who saw it in 1993 to revisit it and for those who were either too young or hadn't been born yet to see the film in the manner intended for the very first time. I'd pay to see it based on solely on that premise... and y'know what? I imagine a lot of other people would as well. A 3D post conversation is unnecessary.

Mar 17 - 11:46 PM

Jimmy G.

Jimmy Gee

Both the T-Rex sequence in the rain and the raptors toward the end was true white-knuckle cinema! They re-relased Jurassic Park a year after it came out where I lived at the time. It was still a pretty intense flick the second go-around (And I saw it twice in the theaters the summer it first came out).
And I agree about the spectacle of it all--Can't remember as thrilling a movie experience since then!

Mar 19 - 09:09 AM

Jimmy G.

Jimmy Gee

Before the grammar police attack... "were"

Mar 19 - 09:10 AM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup