93% Guardians of the Galaxy Aug 01

Catch and Release Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

May 1, 2012
A woman whose fiancee recently died learns that he had a child with another woman.
I only rented this film to see Kevin Smith, and he wasn't bad, even capable of handling a heavy, dramatic scene. Jennifer Garner was also occasionally good. But nothing can rescue the story. The bottom line is that I have absolutely no idea what draws Gray to Fritz, and if I see one more film in which a woman slaps a man, then is thwarted when she tries to slap him twice more with alternating hands before he pins her against a wall and they begin making out, I'm going to try to get slapped more often. And there's an oppressive unevenness to the film made worse by the mix CD of indie songs that seem to be squeezed into the film.
Overall, Catch and Release is not a good film because the motivations of the main characters are more mysterious than the reason that nobody ever kisses after getting hit.
murphmann93

June 26, 2010
this sucks. D
Dean L

August 6, 2009
After reading Kevin Smith's Diary, "My Boring Ass Life" I felt compelled to watch this movie as he chronicles some of his time making it (for which he took some guff from the studios for revealing too much).
Smith was fun to watch as he was primarily playing himself. Garner, a true natural beauty who I defy you not to love. The movie...not so much.
I was almost angry watching the character inconsistencies, the obvious plot trends, the cliches. The start was very heartfelt and had promise, but it quickly devolved into just so much tripe.
I really do not know what we were watching with Jennifer Garner's character, "Gray." She turns into something wholly different from the beginning of the film to the end and even while the metamorphosis may have been part of the journey and process the moves are so jumpy and without precipitant as well as by a route that is so very nonsensical that the destination makes no sense and just leaves one with no idea what any of the characters are about. None of the character decisions make any sense in the context of development and are totally devoid of discernable motive.
The backdrop is spectacular (Vancouver pretending to be Colorado). Some of the performances were memorable (primarily Smith and Garner), but I simply cannot recommend this movie as anything more than, "fair" to "unsatisfying."
Red L

November 20, 2007
The living arrangements of Gray (Jennifer Garner) and all her fiancé's friends -- even her fiancé's best friend is somewhat strange - they all live together in a house.

This movie is great -- the type where everyone grows up a bit during the movie. I saw it a second time a year after the first, and enjoyed it more the second time. Its amazing how much I forgot though.
Jon L

September 3, 2007
Poorly written. I felt depressed, even though I don't think that's what the intent was.
deano
deano

July 9, 2007
Kevin Smith, better known as the director (and actor) of classic cult films such as Clerks and Mallrats, proves that Silent Bob has silenced for good as he upstages co-star Jennifer Garner in this romantic comedy-drama. He's so hilarious.
James A

June 24, 2007
So bland and typical. I would have gave it one star for KEvin Smith's performance but the movie is so bad it negates that too.
Jason S

June 10, 2007
It was a nice story and the actors did a good job but it fell a little flat for me. It seemed like there was a lot of things picked up and then put down for no reason. For me at least it didn't feel like a complete story but more of a glimpse into the randomness of these peoples lives.
Leigh R

June 9, 2007
It was a cute romantic comedy. Nothing too special about it, but it wasn't horrific either.
Rachel F

May 18, 2007
One of my most favorite movies of all time. It was GREAT!!!! Everyone who loves happy endings should see this movie. Plus its hilarious.
neumdaddy
neumdaddy

May 31, 2007
Don't mind me. But please, comment on the films! (including 3 oddly fresh in-flight movies)

Yes, I saw Pirates. I am including that in the next entry shortly. I will tell you how I feel if you tell me how you feel first. About the movie.
Dannielle A

August 19, 2008
Poop.
Daniel P

April 14, 2007
Very mildly diverting romantic drama that starts out promisingly, but Susannah Grant's lack of confidence in her story means she results to new age clichés, out-of-character kookiness and over reliance on an achingly hip (and already dated) soundtrack. Jennifer Garner and Timothy Olyphant put in basic performances, Juliette Lewis and Kevin Smith are fun but belong in a different film. For a better exploration of grief, watch Moonlight Mile.
Yinalí R

May 12, 2007
Liked the movie very much...I imagined myself in her shoes...
ashley h

June 28, 2007
i liked the kevin smith character,but the movie just went awry after a while.I didn't like the guy she ended up with either
Andrew F

May 31, 2007
It was really predictable and kind of cheesy, but it wasn't terrible.
William G

January 22, 2007
Emotionally hollow and seemingly unending.
Marcus W

November 3, 2007
So there I am on an eight hour flight to China. I couldn't leave my seat because there was nowhere to go. I couldn't go to sleep because I wasn't tired. I couldn't read because I had nothing to read. And I couldn't watch something else because this was Air China. It was at that moment I came to realise why the meal was served with plastic cutlery.